Meal replacement smoothies

Options
I have been making smoothies for breakfast for almost a month now. It's easy, convenient for me and I can drink them in the car on the way to work. Sometimes I freeze them and let them thaw on my desk so I don't wake anyone up in the morning with the blender. Below is what I use in my smoothies.

1 cup ice
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup Greek no fat yogurt
1/2 cup Almond milk
1/2 cup frozen fruit (I use strawberries or blueberries usually)
1 small banana
1 tsp honey

They keep me full until lunch so I'm not tempted to eat candy or something else like candy or chocolate which is on EVERYONE'S desk at work. 'm a full time student who works full time so these are usually something I feel is healthier than other alternatives.

My question is, because of the sugar content do you think it would be "unhealthy" to drink 2 smoothies like this a day?

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You could always try making one of the smoothies more veggie based with things like spinach, kale, etc to reduce the sugar content.
  • tigger2009
    Options
    Anyone ever try meal replacement shake using "All the time Whey Protein powder? I hear it is good. Thinking of doing that for Breakfast or lunch or both. I may try for breakfast first and see how it makes me feel. I usally eat cereal or instant oatmeal every morning and it holds me well til lunch.
  • lovesbread47
    Options
    I also like smoothies for breakfast. I like to add cinnamon, a few almonds & agave to my fruit.
    Also I throw in some Whey vanilla protein powder.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    You could always try making one of the smoothies more veggie based with things like spinach, kale, etc to reduce the sugar content.

I like that idea but I added a lot of spinach last time I tried this and my smoothie had a nasty after taste
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I have been making smoothies for breakfast for almost a month now. It's easy, convenient for me and I can drink them in the car on the way to work. Sometimes I freeze them and let them thaw on my desk so I don't wake anyone up in the morning with the blender. Below is what I use in my smoothies.

1 cup ice
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup Greek no fat yogurt
    1/2 cup Almond milk
    1/2 cup frozen fruit (I use strawberries or blueberries usually)
    1 small banana
    1 tsp honey

They keep me full until lunch so I'm not tempted to eat candy or something else like candy or chocolate which is on EVERYONE'S desk at work. 'm a full time student who works full time so these are usually something I feel is healthier than other alternatives.

My question is, because of the sugar content do you think it would be "unhealthy" to drink 2 smoothies like this a day?

let me ask you this, what is it about sugar that you think is unhealthy?
  • ashleyShades
    Options

let me ask you this, what is it about sugar that you think is unhealthy?

I've eaten 2 a day before and the amount of sugar was way over my daily limit. I don't have diabetes and don't have a problem with sugar and I have heard that "natural" sugar like that from fruits is different from sugar from say a soda.