Turkey Italian Sausage

Options
eemott
eemott Posts: 46 Member
Any ideas for a crock pot recipe using Italian Turkey Sausage? I want to dress it up but keep it healthy. :)

Replies

• mjenne74
    mjenne74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not in the crockpot. I use it for pasta sauce or healthy flatbread pizzas. Even meatloaf. But not sure about a crockpot dish.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti sauce maybe?

Although, I've been craving cauliflower pizza and you just gave me an idea what toppings to put next round. THANKS! :bigsmile:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I make a black bean turkey stew/chili w/ it. Slice up the turkey sausage into slices. Into a crock pot goes the sausage, two cans of diced tomatoes (with juice), 1/2 diced onion, couple sliced carrots, minced garlic, can of black beans (rinsed or even soaked first), 4 cups chicken broth, dried oregano, cayenne, parsley, salt and pepper, and simmer all day. You can serve it over rice gumbo style or just eat as a stew. Throw on some greek yogurt and cilantro on top when serving.
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jenni-o makes ground turkey with italian seasoning... just tried in my lasagna .. YUMMY
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't use a crockpot for this as it doesn't take long. You can use turkey sauage, but I use regular since I find the difference between the two is minimal. It's about 300 calories for a one cup serving.

Hot Italian Sausage Stew/Soup
    Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 medium onion, chopped
    • 1 pound Italian sausages
    • 1 (15.5 ounce) can great Northern beans (or any white bean), rinsed and drained
    • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
    • 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
    • 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
    • ground black pepper to taste
    Directions
    1. Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook and stir for about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, breaking into small pieces. Cook and stir for another 5 minutes, or until browned.
    2. Stir in the beans, tomatoes with their juice and chicken broth. Season with rosemary and black pepper. Bring to a simmer, and cook for at least 10 minutes. Serve right away, or let it simmer for a while, stirring occasionally, until you are ready to eat.
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    You could make ratatouille. Here's a link to a recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/ratatouille-crock-pot-58047