Do you burn all your "extra" exercise calories?

Options
Does it make sense not to? Based on the whole input vs output basics of losing weight, I would think by eating back all your exercise calories, you are not going to be as successful. But, on the other hand, you do not want to put your body in starvation mode either....

Replies

• savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating your exercise calories back. If you are burning lots of calories, you should have you intake high. What is your calorie intake right now?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    MFP puts you at a deficit based on your goals which is why people eat back their exercise calories. If you don't eat them back then the deficit is too large.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you're at a calorie deficit to lose weight you should stay at your daily calorie goal regardless of how many calories you've burned doing exercise. In short, eat back your burned calories.
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You will lose if you eat calories that you burn.
    Because when MFP gives you your calorie number for the day that number is already subtracted.
    For example.
    The calories that I need to go through day and do all my activities and not lose weight (so maintain calories) are 1,860 calories/day. So if I want to lose 1 pound a week I have to eat 3500 calories less in a week. To do that I have to eat every day 1,360 calories (500 calories less every day so 500 calories * 7 days a week = 3500 calories deficit). That number is automatically calculated by MFP. But if I work out every day and I don't eat that back I will have too much of a deficit every day and too much deficit in one week. Because through exercise you burn calories.
    Ask if you still don't understand. :)
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    MFP puts you at a deficit based on your goals which is why people eat back their exercise calories. If you don't eat them back then the deficit is too large.

^ This. My goal (as set in MFP) is to lose 1.5 pounds per week. I usually eat back almost all of my "extra" calories, and I usually lose 1.5 - 2 pounds per week. If I don't eat them back (which I tried in the past) I lose more like 3-4 pounds per week, which is too much for me at this point.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Ate back my exercise calories

Lost 33 pounds, 6 sizes

Maintained for a year, going on a second

I'd say I was sucessful
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    someone posted this article on another thread... interesting. I eat back some of my exercise calories but not all. I found if I ate them all, I was not losing and maybe this article explains why..;

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single
  • Fit4Jesus84
    Options
    From what I know about starvation, it doesn't set in until you have no fat reserves left. Someone who is anorexic or lives in a poor country is starving because their body has no fat left so their bodies are literally eating itself...very painful. BUT to go a planned period of time without food (still consuming water) is called fasting, very different that starvation mode. It is actually very healthy and good for you. It increases life expectancy and cleans out your body, gives your digestive system a break so your body starts to fight illnesses. Your body isn't meant to always be digesting, it needs a rest. Christians, as well as other religous people practice this. You wouldn't want to go longer that a few days without Dr. supervision. And you probably don't want to do this if you have blood sugar issues.

But I will usually stop eating after 5pm and my body will be fasting (metabolizing fat and detoxing) till the next time I eat some time the next morning.

Why don't people know all the benefits of fasting? Why isn't there more talk about this? Well, one major reason is because fasting for weight loss and health benefits doesn't sell! You can't put it into a bottle and make a profit off of it! The whole diet industry wants to sell you a product, they tell you to eat every few hours 6 meals a day or else GASP! Your body will starve and you will stay fat! That is balogny! I am living proof of this! The last 20 lbs I have lost have been from Intermitent fasting (IF), and yes I still have all my muscle mass and I am NOT dying!

So, do some research, google intermitent fasting health benefits, or even read your Bible! It's in there as well! We do NOT need to eat ALL the time!

Stepping off my soapbox now! Sorry about the rant!
  • gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks all -- that is what I thought... To answer some of the questions posed. MFP has me set to consume 1200 calories a day before adding any exercise to my daily routine. This has me set to lose about 1.1 lbs a week, I would ideally like to be losing between 1.5 - 2 lbs a week, as long as I am doing it in a healthy manner.

I typically burn between 400 - 500 calories through exercise. I usually have no problem eating up my 1200 calories that are originally allotted me for the day. But, sometimes do have calories left over that I "earned back" through my exercise. So, I guess the real question is - if I do not feel hungry should I force myself to eat something before going to bed at night just to meet that calorie goal or say "the heck with it - tomorrow is another day!"?
  • josiereside
    Options
    Thanks all -- that is what I thought... To answer some of the questions posed. MFP has me set to consume 1200 calories a day before adding any exercise to my daily routine. This has me set to lose about 1.1 lbs a week, I would ideally like to be losing between 1.5 - 2 lbs a week, as long as I am doing it in a healthy manner.

I typically burn between 400 - 500 calories through exercise. I usually have no problem eating up my 1200 calories that are originally allotted me for the day. But, sometimes do have calories left over that I "earned back" through my exercise. So, I guess the real question is - if I do not feel hungry should I force myself to eat something before going to bed at night just to meet that calorie goal or say "the heck with it - tomorrow is another day!"?

If you are hungry eat... if not, I would not worry about it... I am hungry most of the time though! :tongue:
  • gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    LOL! I was that way as well before I tried cutting a lot of the processed foods and the carbs out of my diet. Since then, I am really not that hungry after dinner. I try to go by the no eating within 2 hours of going to bed rule as well...
  • CricketsGirl
    CricketsGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There are some good reading suggestions here. Some things I hadn't thought of. I was thinking of not eating back my exercise calories this week to see what a difference that would make but after reading the suggested links I think I'm going to compromise and eat back only half of my exercise when that feels comfortable and then re-evaluate the following week.
  • josiereside
    Options

If you are hungry eat... if not, I would not worry about it... I am hungry most of the time though! :tongue:

I "need" my pre-bedtime snack... If I go to bed the slightest bit hungry I cannot sleep! but it is also a bit of a habit but I feel as long as I am in my calorie range, I am not going to worry about it. I am in bed by 9 ish and I usually don't have any food to eat until close to 7 or 8, except for my coffee and warm lemon water.
  • jupe1407
    Options
    I don't think i've ever eaten back all my "extra" exercise calories.

I exercise Mon/Wed/Fri each week, and on those days i'm often anything from 300-700 cals under. I would have to say that I certainly don't go hungry though.