Other breastfeeding moms?

hey, is anyone else here nursing their baby? I have a 6 month old. How many calories do you eat? Are you really hungry most of the time? Im having a hard time staying within my calorie range. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    I have a 9-month old..still breastfeeing..

MFP set my calories at 1200...I've bumped it up to 1500 with the breastfeeding. I'm actually finding it quite doable..that being said, I'm drinking a lot of water and tea...if you look at my diary (it's open), you'll see the types of meals I'm having (and they're quite reasonable)..

It also depends on how often your baby feeds. At 9-months, my son eats a lot of solids..so he breastfeeds 4 - 6 times during the day and sleeps through the night..
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    I'm nursing a six month old and I'm set at around 1800 calories per day. I'm not hungry. Make sure that whatever you are choosing to eat is a nutrient dense food, as much fresh as possible.. I don't eat low fat or "diet" foods, I just watch my servings of the regular stuff. Make sure you are getting good fats, like from cheese and peanut butter. You'll get there, both with nursing and weight loss. And if you are like me, you want to make a healthier lifestyle change. I know that pounds may be stubborn for now because of the breastfeeding, but I just want to feel better. Eventually the scale will budge.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    I'm nursing a six month old and I'm set at around 1800 calories per day. I'm not hungry. Make sure that whatever you are choosing to eat is a nutrient dense food, as much fresh as possible.. I don't eat low fat or "diet" foods, I just watch my servings of the regular stuff. Make sure you are getting good fats, like from cheese and peanut butter. You'll get there, both with nursing and weight loss. And if you are like me, you want to make a healthier lifestyle change. I know that pounds may be stubborn for now because of the breastfeeding, but I just want to feel better. Eventually the scale will budge.

Thanks. So how do you get myfitnesspal to set your goal at 1800. Do you just put your goal to loose 1/2 pound each week or do you add in breastfeeding each day?
  • jmcreynolds91
    Okay, see my 6 month old eats alot still. every 4 hours night and day still. she only gets a small amount of solids for now. i have been putting the -400 on my diary everyday so thats about eating 1600 a day. and i havent seen the scale move yet. frustrating!
  • jmcreynolds91
    and i exercise daily. not sure what im doing wrong
  • Melinda3443
    Melinda3443 Posts: 2 Member
    I am still nursing my 18 month old and I was wondering the same thing. Do I bump up my calorie intake and do I subtract anything for the nursing since it's supposed to burn calories also? He probably nurses at least 10x a day still.
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    I am still nursing my 18 month old and I was wondering the same thing. Do I bump up my calorie intake and do I subtract anything for the nursing since it's supposed to burn calories also? He probably nurses at least 10x a day still.

I don't, and at 18 months old, I'd say the nursing is such a part of your daily routine that it has ceased to make a difference on the scale. Count it as a bonus. :)
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Yes. She just turned 1 and I add 300 calories for breastfeeding. My goal is 1929 so I eat 2300 per day and stay between 125 and 126 lbs now. I could not lose the weight eating under 1900 calories. I was 140-150 for so long.I added 500 per day when she didn't eat many solids.