Snacking tips?

Options
I signed up a few days ago and started actually using the food & exercise diaries the way they are supposed to be used yesterday. And I'm feeling pretty good about it. When you starting accounting for everything you eat, it really becomes clear why I was having trouble getting anywhere. It's also pretty easy to enter what you eat, because there are so many foods already in the system. I think this will work : )

I feel like the place I am going to have the most trouble is when I get home from work before I'm able to get dinner made. Does anyone have any good low calorie snacks ideas?

Replies

• jennbarnett8606
    Options
    A Jillian Michaels tip is to chew a sugar free gum while cooking dinner and that will keep you from snacking as you cook. I think this will also help while walking from room to room doing daily chores. Hope this helps!! Good luck with your journey!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You may want to place a search that searches "low calorie snack ideas". This thread was started 24 hours ago and has great suggestions.
    There are soo omany posts on MFP ..stuff gets repeated waaaay to often. Search - lots of suggestions already posted!
  • Aoide
    Aoide Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hot air popped popcorn - no oil, no butter (1 cup = 31 calories and has lots of fiber!)
  • CinthiaF
    CinthiaF Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Good idea i wish i could chew gum.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I started doing the gum thing myself. This sounds horrible, but most of my problem is not so much of me being hungry, but more of needing a "pacifier" and food was that for me. So when I need to "chew", I do sugar free gum. I like the "5" stuff.

As for snacks, my usual go to is celery with PB or apple with PB. Sometimes I'll buy the 100 cal packs from Nabisco or even the 100 cal popcorn bags. If you're in need of a sweet treat, I like the sugar free Jello snack cups (fudge mint is my fave). They're 60 cals and a good chocolate fix for me. :tongue:
  • medrewiske
    medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea! Thanks!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is to have an afternoon snack, around 3PM, with protein and that helps curb my hungry.

I like the gum idea!
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ashia - Fudge Mint Snack Pack sounds delicious... I didn't know such a thing existed - but it is now on my grocery list! Thanks!

I keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in my downstairs bathroom. If I feel 'snacky' I just brush my teeth. Most things don't taste very good with toothpaste - and for me, it makes me thirsty - so I drink more water. 3 birds with one stone - no more snack craving - more water drinking - and brighter pearly whites!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Ashia - Fudge Mint Snack Pack sounds delicious... I didn't know such a thing existed - but it is now on my grocery list! Thanks!

I keep a toothbrush and toothpaste in my downstairs bathroom. If I feel 'snacky' I just brush my teeth. Most things don't taste very good with toothpaste - and for me, it makes me thirsty - so I drink more water. 3 birds with one stone - no more snack craving - more water drinking - and brighter pearly whites!

I think it all depends on the grocery stores. But it's sugar free and I think about 60 calories. I can only find it at my one store. I got the dark chocolate ones this week but the fudge mint is soooo much better!
  • wannabe
    wannabe Posts: 29
    Options
    i have nut mixes but follow the serving size!!!! and also those prepackaged whole wheat crackers with peanut butter or cheese in them are really good and satisfying!! i also get the skinny cow ice creams cuz i love sweets
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I think it all depends on the grocery stores. But it's sugar free and I think about 60 calories. I can only find it at my one store. I got the dark chocolate ones this week but the fudge mint is soooo much better!

I have my husband at the store right now on the hunt... hopefully he can find them! I didn't know you could crave something you've never eaten!
  • andy_drouin
    andy_drouin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have a cup of hot tea when you get home. I find that always helps me curb my need to eat something.
  • sbrwn
    sbrwn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of fresh veggies and hummus or a light dressing for dipping.
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i've tried the gum thing and it only works for me while the gum still has flavour. brushing you teeth help though. if this doesn't help try drinking a couple of glasses of sparkling water with a wedge or a few drops of lemon, the bubble fill you up and tastes delish.....

:drinker: