Sedentary vs. Lightly Active

Hi all,

Just need some advice: do I qualify as sedentary or lightly active? I have a desk job, however I try to exercise every day at least once a day in some way shape or form. I walk to the bus stop and I walk the long way to get back to it from my office at night. I tend to do cardio and strength training at least thirty minutes a day.

Which one am I? :-)

Thanks!

Replies

• katemenos
    katemenos Posts: 12
    Hi all,

Just need some advice: do I qualify as sedentary or lightly active? I have a desk job, however I try to exercise every day at least once a day in some way shape or form. I walk to the bus stop and I walk the long way to get back to it from my office at night. I tend to do cardio and strength training at least thirty minutes a day.

Which one am I? :-)

Thanks!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    sedentary- because it goes by not your activity or your workout it goes by what you do- like if you were a nurse on your feet all day that would be lightly active (because in that line of work with constant movement they are burning calories) where as sitting at a desk like you and I do every day 5 days a week your not burning many calories because we aren't in a constant movement) Hope this helps.. I too workout everyday 5-6 times a week- but because my job is a desk job I am sedentary.
  • katemenos
    Boo! Okay good to know. :-)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    I would tend to agree with mrsyac,
    but it depends on how far you are walking, if you are walking during the day,
    what you do after you get home, what you do on the weekends...etc.

If you are active in all other aspects of you life, and you try to get up from your
    desk and walk around for 5 or 10 minutes every hour or two, then I would be
    tempted to call it lightly active. More likely though, you are somewhere in the
    middle if that is the case.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Wow, I could have written that post! That sounds just like me. Definitely sedentary. It goes by the type of job you do during the day.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Sedentary - BUT you get to log all your walking to the bus stop etc as exercise... so you still get to eat those calories :)

(Tip - if you do the same walk every day you can make it one of your favorite exercises and easily ad it every day!)
  • katemenos
    I would calculate that I walk about a mile every day in addition to my exercise...not very fast, but i like that I can still log it as exercise! Thanks for all your advice.