Fat Dietitian

Options
In class earlier a comment was made that spiked my interest. It was along the lines of "who would trust a fat dietician?".

I'm not going to claim to be a super-human that doesn't see body size when they meet a new person, but even if I am surprised to see an overweight people as nutritional professionals (because honestly, I was) I would like to think that I can think critically, and withhold assumptions/judgement. Because simply, we don't know what it's like to be another person. This person's "fatness" could be rooted in so many different physiological, psychological, and/or social conditions, that making these assumptions that "they can't apply knowledge to themselves" is really unfair.

I'm just curious how other people react to this.

and something more to think about...
What about overweight doctors? personal trainers?
What about if you were going to a dietician for non-weightloss issues, for example Celiac, IBS, or an injury that affects the way you cook/eat?

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If there is a group of people who know a lot about food and nutrition, it's the over-weight/ yo-yo dieters. All that time researching and reading instead of doing. Besides, it's a lot easier to shell out good advice than to take it (believe me, I'm guilty on multiple fronts).

Whether or not they apply the knowledge is irrelevant to whether or not it is still true. Hide a copy of Invincible in War and Peace and you're still reading a comic book.

So yes, I would trust them. I would choose my nutritionist by perceived personality, tbh.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Say hello to these boards. Many of us are overweight but we're giving physical advice and food advice. Some of us are even licensed to do so. We just all stick to the old proverb:

Those that cannot do; teach.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you don't practice what you preach, why would I get practical advice from you?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Would you hire a broke finance adviser?
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what type of "fat" - a slightly overweight dietitian is different to an obese personal trainer who couldn't demonstrate exercises to a client.
    To be honest, if my dietitian was fat it would put me off a little. However, I know myself that I am very very good at giving advice but cannot always follow it myself. I think it would really depend on many other factors, primarily their professional experience and previous customer satisfaction.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    After 30 years in healthcare I am used to seeing competent medical professionals that don't practice what they preach, It doesn't mean that what they are preaching is wrong. They are human just like the rest of us.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    If you don't practice what you preach, why would I get practical advice from you?

Because it is the preaching that you should want. Are you really suggesting that you've never known that option A was best but still taken option B or C? As long as their knowledge is sound, why do you care what they do with their own body?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Would you hire a broke finance adviser?

But do you have any way of telling that they're broke if they're living on credit and playing the part??... Hmm mister?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't make their information incorrect, any more than being fit would make their information correct.

However, if you're seeking their advice, it's likely that you're not equipped to tell the difference, so you have to use something to evaluate the validity of what you're being told.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My wifes dad is a consultant surgeon (colorectal).

He once fired a dietician for being fat, because he felt she couldn't possibly be taken seriously by the hospitals clients at that size (they did try and get her to lose weight firs - it wasn't instant).
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It wouldn't make their information incorrect, any more than being fit would make their information correct.

However, if you're seeking their advice, it's likely that you're not equipped to tell the difference, so you have to use something to evaluate the validity of what you're being told.

But you still likely won't know if this fit person got fit by doing what they are telling you to do.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Because it is the preaching that you should want. Are you really suggesting that you've never known that option A was best but still taken option B or C? As long as their knowledge is sound, why do you care what they do with their own body?
    I want to get the preaching from someone who probably knows what they're talking about.
  • MiTime2016
    MiTime2016 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I first read this post I thought "that wouldn't make any difference to me". I would see an overweight dietician.
    But then I saw the doctor? personal trainer?
    I know that at my gym my preference has been to see the personal trainer who has the most athletic body (in my eyes); I'm less confident in the ability of the slightly overweight personal trainer that works there.
    The more athletic personal trainer could just have good genes; she doesn't necessarily have more knowledge or work harder than the other.
    Glad you made me think about that.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately people don't always practice the knowledge they preach.

Doctors who light up a cigarette on their break are the perfect example of this.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have my BS in Nutritional Science (though I am in a different career right now) and I will say that in my most of my core degree classes, there were lots of overweight ladies, and a bunch with eating "issues". So, not sure where they are all now, but dietitians are human just like the rest of us.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

But you still likely won't know if this fit person got fit by doing what they are telling you to do.

True. But if you were in a situation where you had to chose who to put your trust in, the final decision might come down to appearances. It might end up being the wrong decision, but if people had the time to do their own research, they wouldn't need the dietician in the first place.
  • bcattoes
    Options

True. But if you were in a situation where you had to chose who to put your trust in, the final decision might come down to appearances. It might end up being the wrong decision, but if people had the time to do their own research, they wouldn't need the dietician in the first place.

True enough. When the contents of the books are unknown, we usually do judge by the cover.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    When I first read this post I thought "that wouldn't make any difference to me". I would see an overweight dietician.
    But then I saw the doctor? personal trainer?
    I know that at my gym my preference has been to see the personal trainer who has the most athletic body (in my eyes); I'm less confident in the ability of the slightly overweight personal trainer that works there.
    The more athletic personal trainer could just have good genes; she doesn't necessarily have more knowledge or work harder than the other.
    Glad you made me think about that.

Take a look at the trainers for professional or Olympic athletes. They are often not fit at all.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I started college as a nutrition major when I was 18 and 200lbs. After a few months into school, I started realizing that I was the only "fat girl" in nutrition (there were ZERO boys!). It made me think that nobody would ever take advice from me on what to eat to be healthy, so I switched my major to accounting. Here I am almost 10 years later and I'm going back to nutrition. I obviously wish that I stayed in it and didn't let my own head get in the way, but I learned a lot while losing weight that I think could really help other people.

To answer your question, dietitians can't be dietitians without lots of schooling and at least a 6 month internship working with a variety of patients and their unique needs. I think schooling and experience is enough to trust a dietitian's advice. I completely agree that we don't know their situation and why they are overweight in the first place. However, just because I think that way doesn't mean it's the popular opinion.