Hunger woke me up a 5 AM.. UGG!@!#%&^! need advice!

Options
Hi Everyone, I started MFP on Monday and have done a pretty good job at sticking to my calorie intake. Lord only knows how
many calories I ate before... now I am down to 1250 calories a day. Big Change..

Was the first week the hardest for you too? I woke up at 5 am with extreme Hunger pains. I ate some oatmeat and am now going to attempt to go back to bed.

I eat dinner at 7 everynight and then do not eat again for the rest of the night.. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good night time snack that will hold me over all night? Thanks for the help and encouragment! Sarah:flowerforyou:

Replies

• kristi3238
    Options
    im glad you got up and ate. i always say if your bodies hungry then feed it! try some healthy snacks like some fruit or veggies. even healthier popcorn is good for you and you get that sensation of munching with popcorn too
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    hi, i joined a week ago and before i got into a very bad habit of getting up almost every night to eat whatever, since I've joined mfp
    I've only got up once and tried to keep it down to 1 cereal bar and a glass of milk, it's hard to break habits but i suppose it's normal until your body adjust to the change,
    :noway:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I had the same problem. Only I'd wake up at 1 or 2 am. I would usually just eat a piece of lunch meat and drink a bottle of water. That was enough to let me settle down enough to sleep and it was only 30 cals. That does get better as you get used to it and I was able to stop doing this after 1-2 weeks.
  • HawtTrecie
    Options
    Hey! Try not to have dinner any more than 3 hours before going to be. I had diabetes with my last pregnancy and was made to have bedtime snacks to keep my sugars controlled throughout the night. You can try a bowl of cereal, apple slices with peanut butter, or some natural cheese and cracker. I did great with those, and I still eat them as bedtime snacks sometimes now...HTH!
  • AgeTaylor
    AgeTaylor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your body is adjusting, it still is expecting those extra calories, but soon enough you won't be waking to those hunger pains. It might be wise to start with only 1500 calories the first week, then go down to 1250. That way you won't get discouraged and blow your plan before you even really get started. And make sure to get some good raw fruits and veggies in, they're very low cal and do a fantastic job of staving off those hunger pains (as if you had eaten a 300 cal snack, but didn't!)
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    I follow the Zone diet and eat a snack before bed. Usually something balanced (fat, carb, protein) like a string cheese and a piece of fruit. It keeps your blood sugars level. Just don't eat a big meal!
  • marquesj
    marquesj Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the great Advice.. Last night was a tough night I woke up with the Hunger pains and an extreme Headache... Today I am going to still work out but eat more calories...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My dad lives in Burlington. I'm just over near Winston. :smile:

Is 1250 the allotment MFP gives you? Are you eating enough protein?

If you are hungry, especially painfully hungry, you should eat. Another poster suggested cheese or apples and PB. Great advice!