I am trying to lose body fat.

Options
MrsLg
MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
I am now happy with my weight but I really need to lose body fat. I am currently doing the beginners bodyweight workout on nerdfitness as i can only work out at home, not the gym.
Is this a good place to start? Will this get me on the right track? Is there anything else i should be doing? Also where do I go after this beginners workout? The advanced one on nerdfitness doesn't seem doable as i don't have stairs or a big pile thing or bar so can't do lots of those exercises. So are there other good websites?
Will i lose my big belly eventually doing this type of work out?

Sorry for all the questions!

Replies

• Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I did not want to lose more weight so decided to lift more and do less cardio. I have access to a gym and that enables me to lift heavier and build muscle. Is that what you mean? Would you like to build muscle now?
  • MrsLg
    Options
    Yes i have eased up on the cardio and would now like to build muscle and lose the flabby stomach as that is the only place with lots of fat now. So i started using nerdfitness. I hope it will give results, what do you think? I don't know how I can lift heavy without the gym!
  • piste9
    piste9 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm not a fitness expert and I'm yet to get to the part where I'm happy with my weight so maybe take my advice with a pinch of salt.

I think you should work on your core, my gym offers classes that target your core specifically. This will help you burn fat faster. If you want to be toned then weights is the way to go, if you do this you will gain weight as muscle weighs more than fat (but it's not a bad weight gain:smile: )

Try a weights class like Body Pump, and I would recommend also something like Body Balance and CXWorx (sorry, these are all Les Mills classes, it's just what I know.) as Body Balance will cancel out any shortening of the muscles you may encounter from Pump(from not doing the full movement).

Good luck and I hope I was helpful.

EDIT: Sorry I missed your comment about not having gym access. There are tons of exercises you can do using your own body weight. Nike Fitness Club have a really good range of workouts that could be helpful. In regards to the classes I mentioned taking maybe just read into them and look at what they do and why they are good for you and incorporate what you need to in your own workouts.
  • Heitor70
    Options
    It is a good start. It depends of what would you like to see in the mirror :) More muscle will require heavier weights and a different diet with more proteins. I heard you could get great deals on weights on the internet though. Try that if you don't want to join a gym. Add me as friend if you wish, I just started lifting and I am also new at this!
  • mndtowka
    Options
    You could try the website bodyrock.tv.
    They have different workouts all the time.
  • MrsLg
    Options
    Thanks guys, to be honest I am not worried about actually seeing muscle just yet, one step at a time! I need to lose the fat on my stomach and get it flat first.
    I'll look at body rock thanks.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Definitely work on body weight exercises, but the best way to lose belly fat is with diet.
  • Heitor70
    Options
    one step at a time!

exactly!
  • MrsLg
    Options
    Ok, so will continuing to eat at a deficit and doing body weight exercise such as lunges, squats, planks, press ups, help to shrink my stomach?
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Definitely work on body weight exercises, but the best way to lose belly fat is with diet.

this. strength training wont really remove too much fat, though I believe it is an important part of fitness you get a flat stomach with a caloric deficit. (also, you cant spot reduce, the fat will come off from all over, including your tummy!)

Good luck!
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    bump for later BF learning.
  • MrsLg
    Options
    Hi, thanks, i really only have fat left on my stomach now, but it's quite big! I am at a very healthy weight for my height so that's why I thought it might not be about losing weight as such.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Ok, so will continuing to eat at a deficit and doing body weight exercise such as lunges, squats, planks, press ups, help to shrink my stomach?

The deficit will lose the stomach fat, the exercises will preserve muscle in the process. So, you're on the right track.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you still have body fat that you would like to lose, then you still have weight to lose. You can't spot reduce and you would still eat at a slight deficit in order to get your desired results. Also, you can't gain fat-free mass (muscle) while in a calorie deficit, you would have to be in a calorie surplus for that.

However, I highly recommend weight training. I like Stronglifts 5x5. You don't have to go to a gym to strength train and you could find programs that are geared for at-home workouts to start you out.
  • MrsLg
    Options
    I think that I thought I would have lost all the fat by the time I reached this weight! I'm 9 stone 9 and 5ft8.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks, i really only have fat left on my stomach now, but it's quite big! I am at a very healthy weight for my height so that's why I thought it might not be about losing weight as such.

There is a board on Pinterest that has "One exercise to end "Lower Belly Pooch." This stretch will bring your hips back to where they should be, ease forward pressure on your lower back, and dial back the lower belly bulge." Might be worth your looking at to see if it will help along with the other suggestions that you've been given. I'm a long ways off have just a small pooch but this stretch is helpful.
  • MrsLg
    Options
    Thanks I will have a look
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I am now happy with my weight but I really need to lose body fat. I am currently doing the beginners bodyweight workout on nerdfitness as i can only work out at home, not the gym.
    Is this a good place to start? Will this get me on the right track? Is there anything else i should be doing? Also where do I go after this beginners workout? The advanced one on nerdfitness doesn't seem doable as i don't have stairs or a big pile thing or bar so can't do lots of those exercises. So are there other good websites?
    Will i lose my big belly eventually doing this type of work out?

Sorry for all the questions!

I don't go to the gym, and I'm doing pretty well. I say invest in a few DVDs... amazon sells some good ones for $1-3, you just have to look. And, youtube some stuff. They're are plenty of exercise routines on youtube.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The nerdfitness beginner program is a great place to start. Once that's doable, you can still do most of the advanced routine with tables/chairs instead of real equipment, or just wait until next month and get supercheap equipment on Craigslist. And the playground routine is fun when the weather gets better.

After that, if you're still looking for no-equipment workouts, you can always start looking at prison routines, no joke. People always say you can't build muscle with bodyweight exercise, but I think that's because they confuse them with circuit training or general fitness routines. (I mean, one-armed pullup. Headstand pushup. Seriously. If these are easy things for you, THEN you can tell me that bodyweight exercises are too easy to bother with.)

Other than that, keep your protein up, fuel your workouts, and just stay consistent. If you're trying to add muscle without gaining weight, the process will be slow, but you'll still be able to make good gains in the beginning. Take your measurments, log your workouts, whatever you need to do to be able to see your improvement, since you won't be able to use the scale as a feedback tool. Good luck!
  • mndtowka
    Options
    Another good you-tube person to watch is zuzkalight.com, She comes out with a new work out once a week.