Are you supposed to feel hungry after you work out ?

Options
Hello well i have worked out before but i have never felt hungry , is that normal ?

Replies

• vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're supposed to be hungry, but I can tell you that often I am famished. But not always. There does not seem to be a reason; none that I can see. Hope this is reassuring.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I get so hungry specifically after lifting weights. I just take it as a sign that my body is doing what it's supposed to.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I always get really hungry after a workout, but my ex was a rugby player and could never eat after working out.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I dunno about that. Might want to see a doc and get some blood work done, just to be safe. God bless and namaste. :flowerforyou:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I am usually not hungry directly following a workout. I eat anyway! I will become really hungry an hour or so after a workout
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It depends, did you eat a few hours after working out? Can you eat after working out (some people can't for a while)?

I have a protein shake after a workout to help replenish my glycogen stores and build stronger muscles.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    It's quite normal. After a hard work out, your body needs fuel to rebuild broken down muscle - eat something that satisfies you and helps you stay on your goal (for me, a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats and skim milk always does the trick).
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I am usually not hungry directly following a workout. I eat anyway! I will become really hungry an hour or so after a workout

Same
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

This is me too
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal! You just burned a ton of calories ect. It's good to have some protein right after you work out! You body needs it to repair the muscles! Also, make sure you are drinking enough water!

Ps. I'm always STARVING after a good workout!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    uum yes, it is normal. not EVERYONE feels hungry but some do.
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    Its different from person to person. I'm ravenous after a workout but other people get sick if they eat right away. The key is listening to your body-- it knows better than scientists do about what is beneficial to your health!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Yes, if you are on the low end of the fuel from when you started. No, if you are doing the high protein.

When I feel most ravenous, I slow down, drink my recovery shake and wait it out at least and hour before I dig into a meal.
  • prncsleah819
    Options
    I am never hungry after a workout unless it involves swimming...then I'm starving.
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Same here also. I am not hungry for at least an hour after I work out. If I work out in the morning, I wait to eat. If I work out any other time, I will just eat after I cool down.
  • cmls10
    cmls10 Posts: 16
    Options
    Well i dont really have a protein shake , but i do have protein bars , would that work?
  • nikkidashrae
    nikkidashrae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A note on protein: it is most effective when consumed in a highly digestible format (i.e. a protein powder and water shake in a shaker bottle) RIGHT after a workout. This should ideally be done within 10 minutes after working out. Get a shaker cup (a bottle specifically designed with a whisk ball in it. Put dry protein powder in it and then after your workout, add water. Shake the cup. The mixer ball will mix in the protein. Then drink. This is done for muscle recovery, but yeah curbs hunger in the process. You will also be less sore the next day.
  • nikkidashrae
    nikkidashrae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    REGARDING PROTEIN BARS: The idea is that it is quickly digestible. I can't imagine these digest really quickly but do some online research about it.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    sometimes, yeah..... you get REALLY hungry.
    Try to resist the junk and throw something decent down there.
    Protein shake, followed by and apple or banana. etc.
    Don't starve yourself :)
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi yea I always feel hungry, like some of the comments on here it is normal for others, everyone is different, sounds like you are going in the right direction