Fustration with strengh/weight training

Options
I have been doing some strengh excersizes on weight machines at the gym and I'm starting to feel a bit fustrated with it. I don't feel like its doing anything for me, I feel really self concious about doing any of the free weights. Its always busy with men doing heavy lifting and I feel like people are laughing... :(

I am female, 5'1 weighing 148llb goal weight is about 126llb. I want to be completely toned. I like Jillian Michaels (desperatly want a body like hers!) and she seems to say that strengh training is just as important as cardio.

Any tips/advise??

Replies

• supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What's the general routine you are doing for your strength training sessions (Exercises, sets, reps)? How much time are you resting between sets and how do you spend the time you are resting?
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    What's the general routine you are doing for your strength training sessions (Exercises, sets, reps)? How much time are you resting between sets and how do you spend the time you are resting?

I do cardio for 20 minutes, then 3 x 15 of leg presses, leg extensions, chest press, arm press, back row, bicep curls and triceps, and then I do core work to finish
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    People really aren't looking. The majority of people who workout in the free weight area are looking at themselves. 2nd, it shouldn't matter what others think about you. They don't know you, or your goals. They don't know where you've been and where you're headed. If you were in perfect shape and looked like Jillian Michaels, you'd still get talked about. Don't believe me, check out the Biggest loser threads here. Do you think Jillian cares? Probably not.
    Don't let others hold you back or be the excuse on why you're holding back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In each set, are reps 12-15 hard to finish?

Are you spending more than one minute between sets and more than one to two minutes when you go from one exercise to the next?
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    In each set, are reps 12-15 hard to finish?

Are you spending more than one minute between sets and more than one to two minutes when you go from one exercise to the next?

Yes, very hard to finish, especially on the final set. Yes I do break between sets/reps. Sometimes longer than 2 minutes between each
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What Ninerbuff said. Don't worry about working out in the free weight area -- you have just as much right to be there as the guys. That said, if you are inexperienced with free weights, it would be a good idea to get a couple sessions with a personal trainer or to hook up with someone at the gym that can show you the fundamentals.

Lots of women tend to worry about 'bulking up' so they avoid pushing themselves from a weight perspective -- don't worry about that, it won' t happen (it is basically an urban myth without actively trying to do so) so set your weight high enough that you are really pushing the last few reps out. Keep a journal of what you do that tracks the weight you use each week and the reps completed and (very) gradually increase as your muscles become more capable.

Also, it is important to level-set your expectations and be realistic so you don't become demoralized. This is not to say you can't look like Jillian, you certainly can, but don't expect it to take a week, a month or likely even a year. She has spend her entire life committed to a lifestyle that lets her maintain that level of physicality -- in short, just stick with it and you will see good things happen :)
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    People really aren't looking. The majority of people who workout in the free weight area are looking at themselves. 2nd, it shouldn't matter what others think about you. They don't know you, or your goals. They don't know where you've been and where you're headed. If you were in perfect shape and looked like Jillian Michaels, you'd still get talked about. Don't believe me, check out the Biggest loser threads here. Do you think Jillian cares? Probably not.
    Don't let others hold you back or be the excuse on why you're holding back.

Wise wise words. I don't think she cares, I think its what women stive to be like her. Thanks for the advise :)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    heavier weight, lower reps
    train fewer muscle groups harder with more recovery, most people alternate upper and lower body
    Avoid machines unless you are injured
    A good book for beginners is Starting Strength
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    how long have you been strength training?

What exactly is your frustration?

Ive been lifting very heavy since Sept. Definitely have changed my body immensely. It's been 4 months but I see huge amazing results now. Still slow going though. Give yourself time. You will get there.

This advice given here is great btw.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping on the weight lifting wagon too. I understand where you're coming from.
    Hang in there and good luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some strengh excersizes on weight machines at the gym and I'm starting to feel a bit fustrated with it. I don't feel like its doing anything for me, I feel really self concious about doing any of the free weights. Its always busy with men doing heavy lifting and I feel like people are laughing... :(

I am female, 5'1 weighing 148llb goal weight is about 126llb. I want to be completely toned. I like Jillian Michaels (desperatly want a body like hers!) and she seems to say that strengh training is just as important as cardio.

Any tips/advise??

do you ever see other women over there? My introduction to the free weights area was accidental. I saw a lady over on the plate loaded leg press, and when she was done I told her that one day I wanted to be able to use it, and she offered to show me how!

Getting a personal trainer for a session or two to put together a plan for you is not a bad idea. The Y where I am a member has trainers on duty who are available to help with quick questions. I usually ask one particular guy to check form or whatever.

Once you have an idea of what you want to do, just hold your head high and walk over there with confidence. I doubt any guy will give you any trouble. I have been doing it for months, and no one has given me a second glance. Actually, only 3 people have ever even spoken to me over there--1 was an older guy I am friends with ( who always picks on me. I pick back), another was a guy before me on the smith machine, and the 3rd was a guy who told me I didn't need to pull the weights off the leg press 'cause he was going there next.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wareagle8706

Here is my beginning weight lifting routine. Yes it's free weights, but take a look at it. YouTube proper form and try it out!

Lots of tips in that blog entry as well.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    The book New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to get a program and guidelines for lifting. I find the same thing as you and I work at a gym. I am uncomfortable in the weight room especially it is crowded.

I started doing CrossFit and love it and am amazed at how heavy I can go. I feel totaly comfortable doing it and everyone else in the room is very encouraging no matter where you are in your stage of fitness. I cannot believe how strong I am getting and how much improvement I have made in the past 2 months.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    You should just ignore the men doing the heavy-lifting; they're men, after all, and will lift heavier than you will (generally). Just do your thing and zone out the rest. I'm a male myself and do the same with some guys that like to walk around showing off their "guns". I don't care, we have different goals in life so I just ignore them.

You should do the same.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    After you lift long enough on a calorie deficit, the lifting is mainly to preserve muscle and strength, not actually make progress with either.
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have recently got a trainer. He told me that I am not going to see much difference until 2-3 month of strength training consistantly. so depending on how long you've been doing it, it may be time before you see anything.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have recently got a trainer. He told me that I am not going to see much difference until 2-3 month of strength training consistantly. so depending on how long you've been doing it, it may be time before you see anything.

would also depend on how you go about it, how much you eat, and your gender