Heart rate monitor??

Options
I am looking at purchasing a heart rate monitor (Polar FT4). Any recommendations on the heart rate monitor you have?? Pros/Cons of your HRM or the Polar FT4 if you have it.....

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Any of the Polar models are good - the most recommended by far. The FT4 is a good, basic monitor. I started with the FT7, but got an FT60 last fall. I wanted the FT60 because it has a fitness test which will make the calorie burn more accurate. If money is a factor, get the FT4. If it's not, look into one of the models with a fitness test - I think the FT60 is the least expensive of those, but not positive.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I ♥ my Polar FT4. I only wanted to gauge my HR and cals earned.

It took some adjusting to get my cals to balance right - because even though you program the HRM for your age etc, it's still factory settings and not necessarily unique to you and your low/high HR.

The only thing I've noticed so far - and I've had it since Fall.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

It took some adjusting to get my cals to balance right - because even though you program the HRM for your age etc, it's still factory settings and not necessarily unique to you and your low/high HR.

What do you mean it took some adjusting? How do you "adjust" it. Shouldn't it just record your heart rate and apply that to your stats you put in?
  • kbodnaruk
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. One website has them on sale for $66 with free shipping - didn't think that was bad since the Polar website sells them for $99.
  • lckneggs
    Options
    I got a Polar for Christmas and love it. Had no idea how much I was burning in bootcamp or what my heart rate was.
  • Runs4Wine
    Options

What do you mean it took some adjusting? How do you "adjust" it. Shouldn't it just record your heart rate and apply that to your stats you put in?

Even though I entered my age and stats, it gave me "stock" high/low range. I had to go into the HRM settings and override it.

For example my Max intensity level was much less than reality, so when my HR hit 175 it said I was out of range, although I was still doing OK. Because of this my readings were overestimated. Now that I increased my max HR to be more of reality - 199 I think is my max HR - my readings are MUCH more accurate showing what my target Zone is.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless you know your measured max and min HR I'd leave it alone. It doesn't change the algorithms in the monitor if you change it, just the annoying zone beeping that it does unless you turn it off.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. One website has them on sale for $66 with free shipping - didn't think that was bad since the Polar website sells them for $99.

Ooooh, where was that?? I have my eye on one, but not in the budget right now.
  • kbodnaruk
    Options
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-purple-h1.html - the site had 4 stars and 922 reviews....so it seems legit....it is a little out of my budget too but a lot less than some HRM's I saw for $550 or even $250 on REI website. So to me even $99 isn't bad - but I am always out for a deal!! ;)
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Even though I entered my age and stats, it gave me "stock" high/low range. I had to go into the HRM settings and override it.

For example my Max intensity level was much less than reality, so when my HR hit 175 it said I was out of range, although I was still doing OK. Because of this my readings were overestimated. Now that I increased my max HR to be more of reality - 199 I think is my max HR - my readings are MUCH more accurate showing what my target Zone is.

Haha - yea that seems a little over my head - I think I'll just take my chances that its pretty accurate. I could tell that when I started using mine I was not getting my heart rate up to a fat burn rate as easily as I thought I was so having the monitor really helps me push myself.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take too long to figure out your actual max HR. A couple tough workouts and you'll see your highs.

The formulas tell me my max HR would be 182. But I can get up to 200 and feel OK (getting over 200 = not feeling OK). So I set my max to 200. I think that's a more accurate representation of my max HR.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    With the FT4 make sure you are just using it for cardio exercise, which is what it was designed to measure. I tried using it to get a close estimate of calories burned while teaching dance, and the read was way too high! It said I burned over 500 calories, and I didn't even break a sweat for more than a few minutes the entire 3 hours I was teaching. So as long as you stick with cardio for the FT4 it should be pretty accurate.
  • Runs4Wine
    Options
    It doesn't take too long to figure out your actual max HR. A couple tough workouts and you'll see your highs.

The formulas tell me my max HR would be 182. But I can get up to 200 and feel OK (getting over 200 = not feeling OK). So I set my max to 200. I think that's a more accurate representation of my max HR.

Exactly!