Adult Acne

Options
I have lived with acne since I was 16. I am 34 years old (soon to be 35) and my face continues to break out! I have tried everything. Currently I am using ProActiv and have been for about 3 months but it is not clearing up. I continue to use it because I have a ton of it and I paid $30 for it. Does anybody else have this problem?? If so, what do you use to control the acne?

Replies

• Rubes
    Rubes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I found that after I switched my diet to mostly clean foods-foods that haven't been processed and don't have a bunch of artificial junk added- my acne cleared up. I still get pimples sometimes but it is much better than before. It turns out that it wasn't what was going on my face but what I put into my body that cleared it up!

If it is really bad, you should go to a dermatologist OR check with the lady doctor to make sure your hormones aren't out of whack!
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am 25 and I still get acne, not as bad as when I was younger tho. I have started using Mary Kay. It is expensive but I also have very sensitive skin so most products would burn. My Mary Kay lady spent 4 hours with me finding products that work for me and as long as I remember use it day and night my skin stays pretty clear.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends that have severe acne and are currently on Accutane. But you can only get a prescription via a dermatologist, and it it VERY extreme, but apparently works..

Google it..
  • allysond
    allysond Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you gone to a doctor for a prescription? I had very severe acne in high school and was put on several different medications, eventually I was put on Accutane (im not sure if it still goes by that name) I took it for less than a year and have not had problems ever since. I get the odd pimple every now and again but that's it. I'm not sure how severe your acne is but it's a permanent solution once you've taken all of the pills you're done for good. I think in most cases it's a last resort, but it worked for me. Nothing over the counter worked, I also tried ProActive and had no improvements. I know prescription medication isn't everyone's first choice but nothing else worked for me. The doctor can also prescribe a variety of topical medications as well (which I also used lol) that aren't quite as harsh.

If you are looking for a more natural solution you can buy tea tree oil and make your own astringents. I hope that this helps :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I found that after I switched my diet to mostly clean foods-foods that haven't been processed and don't have a bunch of artificial junk added- my acne cleared up. I still get pimples sometimes but it is much better than before. It turns out that it wasn't what was going on my face but what I put into my body that cleared it up!

If it is really bad, you should go to a dermatologist OR check with the lady doctor to make sure your hormones aren't out of whack!

Me too! I also saw a nice improvement when I went on NuvaRing for birth control (other birth control didn't seem to have this effect for me).

I also drastically simplified my cleaning routine. I use all natural olive oil bar soap on my face and then, once a day, I take a little baking soda (about a quarter size scoop in my palm), get it a tiny bit damp and use it as an exfoliator on my face. I use lotion with natural oils at night and I use a light lotion with sunscreen during the day.

Of course, with the exception of the birth control, these things might not make a big difference if your acne is mostly due to hormonal imbalances (although I fully believe that a lot of food additives can mess with your hormones). I would also suggest seeing a dermatologist if your acne is resistant to what you've been doing.
  • logiesmom
    logiesmom Posts: 142
    Options
    I have went to the doctor and she recommended Benzyol Peroxide along with E-mycin gel. Neither of which worked. I can't take birth control pills due to a clotting disorder in my family and I think once a doctor puts you on Accutane you have to sign a contract to take birth control because Accutane causes serious birth defects. I'm just at a loss. I really do appreciate all of the advice so far. It is just so frustrating and embarrassing and no matter how much make-up you put on to cover it....you can still see it. :cry:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried BeautiControl products? I have an older lady friend who used to have HORRIBLE skin and she swears by their products. After seeing her b4 and after pics, I'm a believer. They are a little expensive, but well worth it!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I have been breaking out since I was about 13 years old. Ew! It gets better from time to time, but my skin is never perfect. Have you tried hormonal birth control? That seems to do the best for me medication wise. I tired ProActiv when I was a teenager, and although it worked better than regular soap, it was very harsh. I tried it again as an adult, and my skin simply couldn't handle it any longer. It was far too strong and felt like I was putting bleach directly on my face.

Now, at almost 30, I find that my skin (while still breaking out) needs something much more gentle. I am currently using Philosophy's line for congested skin called "makeup optional" and so far having very good results. The system was $78 so it is pricey, but my face doesn't hurt after I wash it. Also, an all natural line I tried from Daybreak Lavender Farms was fantastic. However, you can't find it in stores and I got tired of always having to have it shipped. Check out their website:

http://www.daybreaklavenderfarm.com/store/

Their line is beautiful, all natural (many of the ingredients grown on the farm of the owner, Jody), and smells absolutely wonderful. Some other all natural (and inexpensive) ideas are taking off your makeup with several cotton balls soaked in milk, using masks of raw honey, and using light oils like hazelnut oil with a few drops of tea tree or lemon essential oil as a moisturizer. Google more skin care remedies using ingredients you already have in your home.

ETA: Oops! While I was posting you responded that BC won't work for you. Boo...
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I have went to the doctor and she recommended Benzyol Peroxide along with E-mycin gel. Neither of which worked. I can't take birth control pills due to a clotting disorder in my family and I think once a doctor puts you on Accutane you have to sign a contract to take birth control because Accutane causes serious birth defects. I'm just at a loss. I really do appreciate all of the advice so far. It is just so frustrating and embarrassing and no matter how much make-up you put on to cover it....you can still see it. :cry:

Have you tried cutting out processed foods? It looks like your diary is hidden so I can't really tell, but this really has made a dramatic improvement for SO many aspects of my body. (I used to get miserable headaches at least 2-3x/wk and migraines once a month. No longer!) Making the switch to whole, clean foods (and organic whenever possible) is expensive, but I bet that it is going to save me a lot in medical costs in the long run!

Maybe you're already doing this, but I just thought I would emphasize how much help it has been for me. It can take awhile to notice changes, though.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    My partner started breaking out really bad (29 yrs old) and we couldn't figure out why... we both eat relatively well, not a lot of junk around anymore. It wasnt a cycle thing either. She did some research and now she uses very warm water, olive oil and a washcloth to exfoliate.

So far, it seems to be working. Is it possible that you're chemical-ing your skin to death? Not trying to be rude, just curious. Maybe you're drying it out too much with the wash.

Oh, and hydrate!!!
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Strange as it may seem, a lot of my acne happened when I wasn't hydrated enough. My skin was bumpy and blotchy, but when I started getting my 2 litres of water per day, and using a really lovely nighttime moisturizer (added into my usual skin-care regimen), my skin started clearing up. I had no idea how dry I was, because I have quite oily skin... but even the oil is clearing up with the better diet, and hydration, and the acne's calming with the extra hydration both inside and out.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am 25 and I still get acne, not as bad as when I was younger tho. I have started using Mary Kay. It is expensive but I also have very sensitive skin so most products would burn. My Mary Kay lady spent 4 hours with me finding products that work for me and as long as I remember use it day and night my skin stays pretty clear.

I'm only 21 but I had horrible acne up until I was about 16 or 17 and I started using mary kay velocity face wash and moisturizer and it worked great. I had even tried proactive prior to that and it didn't work. Just sharing a mutual find :P
  • naslubs14
    naslubs14 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm 24 and I just started getting bad acne the last year or so. I had a bout with bad skin a few years back but it went away for a couple years and now it’s back and worse than ever! Nothing I am trying is working. I drink a lot of water, drastically improved my diet, and am pretty religious when it comes to washing my skin. I tried pro-active, but it almost seemed as if it made my skin worse… I kept with it though and it never got better. Now I use Netrogena with a face brush. It’s a little better than before, but not by too much. My face is seriously starting to effect the way I feel. :embarassed: I would take any advice if it’s out there.

Btw – I am on BC and it seems to have no effect. :ohwell:
  • logiesmom
    Options
    My partner started breaking out really bad (29 yrs old) and we couldn't figure out why... we both eat relatively well, not a lot of junk around anymore. It wasnt a cycle thing either. She did some research and now she uses very warm water, olive oil and a washcloth to exfoliate.

So far, it seems to be working. Is it possible that you're chemical-ing your skin to death? Not trying to be rude, just curious. Maybe you're drying it out too much with the wash.

Oh, and hydrate!!!

I have oily skin so I wonder if the olive oil would make it worse. Hmm...I may very well be chemical-ing my skin to death. Maybe I should just go back to basics. What kind of skin does she have?
  • logiesmom
    Options

Have you tried cutting out processed foods? It looks like your diary is hidden so I can't really tell, but this really has made a dramatic improvement for SO many aspects of my body. (I used to get miserable headaches at least 2-3x/wk and migraines once a month. No longer!) Making the switch to whole, clean foods (and organic whenever possible) is expensive, but I bet that it is going to save me a lot in medical costs in the long run!

Maybe you're already doing this, but I just thought I would emphasize how much help it has been for me. It can take awhile to notice changes, though.

I do eat processed foods only because I can't afford to buy "clean" foods all the time. I still eat fresh fruits and veggies and I drink tons of water. I also have PCOS so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not.
  • naslubs14
    naslubs14 Posts: 24
    Options
    My cousin has PCOS and she had the same problem with Acne, she just couldn't control it. But once she got regulated on the meds she needs to control the PCOS, her face has cleared up A LOT ans she was also able to lose weight a lot easier.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a dermatologist before making any drastic changes. Everyone's face is different. No one here will be able to give you the magic product that will work for you. Sometimes it's trial and error. That being said, what worked for me was the mineral skin care and make up from bare escentuals. Traditional liquid make up can make acne much worse.

My aesthetician always tells me that with skin care less is more. A lot of people clean or exfoliate too much and it only makes their problems worse. Even though you have oily skin you still need to moisturise or the oilyness could get worse.

A lot of adults are misdiagnosed with acne when it's actualy rosacea so you might want to read up on that.
  • ruth1104
    ruth1104 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im 23 and have had pretty bad acne since I was about 10, although I can generally keep it under control now. Im on Tetralysal which is a mild antibiotic, (although I don't know what the US equivalent is) because I really didn't like the birth control pills available for acne, although they did work. I was offered accutane but didn't think all the side effects were worth it :S.

But I'd also suggest being really careful about what make up you use - I always need to give my skin a few days off from it, and Lush skincare products (its a british company but i think there are some US shops and you can probably buy stuff online) because they are made of natural ingredients so don't completely strip your skin of oil the way that soap based products do, making your skin produce even more oil. The tea tree toner is brilliant, I always have a break out if I don't have any! And obviously a healthy lifestyle helps! Hope this is useful
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options

I do eat processed foods only because I can't afford to buy "clean" foods all the time. I still eat fresh fruits and veggies and I drink tons of water. I also have PCOS so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not.

Processed foods and PCOS will definitely wreak havoc on your skin. I hope you're able to get medical treatment for the PCOS because that will more than likely make a huge difference.

And as for using oil on oily skin, it's completely fine. Just make sure you're using natural, organic oils. Not the same old olive oil you've had in your cupboard for cooking for three years. You can also try hazelnut oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, or kukui nut oil, at least one of which you should be able to find at a local health food store.
  • logiesmom
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice!!! I actually had a doctors appointment yesterday evening and was prescribed Glucophage for PCOS. Hopefully things will start to straighten out. I really do appreciate all of your support.

Thanks again!!!