Cravings, eating in secret, ADDICTION

Options
13»

Replies

• mapnerd2005
    Options
    Log EVERY single thing you put into your mouth. You have no reason to lie to anyone on here. We are all on the same journey. We all have good days and bad days. If you omit a food, the only person you are lying to is yourself. I have a rule: Nothing is forbidden, but everything must be logged. I budget around the foods that aren't the healtiest, eating smaller portions and sticking to low calorie foods the rest of the day and the days around it (if I know in advance). It's all about budgeting, with the end goal burning more than you consume.
  • millipedey
    Options
    I am the same, I am slowly training myself to eat addictive foods only when I feel completely in control so that I won't eat loads of them, or have them after a meal so I'm too full for loads.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Explore this a bit, maybe with a counselor. There is probably a reason why you do it, a pay-off that you're getting other than the taste of food.

I felt that I was out of control until the day I realized that I had been in control all along and binged on purpose. It was so much easier to do that and pin all my hatred on myself when the real problem I didn't want to deal with was the fact that my adult son, who lives here, was addicted to meth. I could see what was happening but didn't want to see it, so drove myself to the kitchen.

Even knowing what I'm doing and why - it's still a struggle. I have far too many "who cares?" days. I'm working on that.
    First of all I'm so sorry about your son. :( I hope he and you are doing better now. I agree with you 100% about the counseling!!! When I first started MFP, I had no clue as to why I was overeating until I realized that I had to remove toxic people from my life. I literally had NO clue as to why I was overeating and craving 'bad' foods. After I got rid of the drama, that I didn't even realize how much bothered me, it was MUCH easier to move on, motivate myself to get up off my *kitten*, move more, eat better etc, and get healthier. ANYONE who has a weight problem, be it overweight or underweight, should seek counseling. I was able to figure it out on my own but didn't know for YEARS and wish I had gotten help. God bless you and thank you for posting this.
  • Dennish68
    Dennish68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. Daily I have to choose the choice I make.
    I read a great book that really helped me find the want-to in taking better care of myself.
    "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst
    All the best to you! It CAN be done, and you CAN do it, you are stronger than any food craving, believe it.
    Paige

^^i also read this book. It definitely helps in making you want to take better care of your well being
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    I can relate. I've been there. Feel free to add me. I'm here for you. Try researching low and high glycemic foods. I just printed out a few pages of both a few minutes ago. It amazes me that most of the foods I've been consuming over the years are on the HIGH glycemic list. I know I got to cut the crap and eat the good old natural stuff!!! I'll message you a link to a site that gives you links to both low and high and maybe you can use them as well. Oh by the way, feel free to add me! Or anybody in that matter feel free to add me!!!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You can do this add me. I have had long love affair with food so I no how hard it is. .Remember nothing taste better than being thin
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of the mfp community are food addicts---we have used food when we are happy, sad, pissed off, anxious, etc etc etc. The fact that we are overweight/obese is a result of the relationship we have with food. Take it one day at a time. Do not skip meals, especially breakfast. When you have a craving or an urge to binge, get on the site and talk about it or read other posts for inspiration and encouragement. Best of luck to you, and to all of us, on this journey.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I binge eat out of boredom and habit.. If I'm in the house on my own I will go hunting for choc, crisps, biscuits and then 5 mins later do the same thing. I am working on curbing this with drinking tea when I get the urge to do it.

Great idea - I'm heading into the kitchen to make a cup of herbal tea right now!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I understand you completely! Been there done that.

It looks like you are getting a lot of great suggestions here and book recommendations...

I have one to add.

I read (actually I listened to it on CD) this book: "The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person" and it really helped me. It isn't a meal plan or any thing like that, it is a way to get your brain to follow whatever meal plan works for you. I really don't have cravings any more. I trained my brain to stop giving into them and now I really don't have them. The more you say no the easier it gets, the more you cave in, the more you crave. Listening to the book and following along with the plan helped me lose 30lbs. I gained back 15 but that is because I stopped following the book's advice (it also may be because I didn't complete the book). I thought I was good since I was losing, but maybe I should have read/listened through to the maintenance portion :ohwell:

Anyway, know that you aren't alone.
  • breakfree51
    breakfree51 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. you are a very wise young person, Im sure not without alot of pain in your life. Such good advice.
  • breakfree51
    Options
    I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. About two years ago, I weighed in at 297lbs. I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't do any kind of drugs. FOOD is my "drug of choice". I don't know the exact reason that food has this effect on me. I know there is alot of pain and anger stemming from unfortunate circumstances all through my childhood, so maybe that has something to do with my choices. I don't really know. I DO know that, ultimately, it is all about choices. I am faced with those choices EVERY moment of EVERY day. I don't tell myself I will NEVER eat bad food again, I will NEVER binge again, I will exercise EVERY day. Realistically, I know I will have moments/days when I fail to make the right choice. However, I CAN say, right now in this moment I WILL NOT eat that doughnut, I WILL NOT eat those chips, today I WILL go to the gym. It's something you have to take moment by moment, day by day, step by step, and pound by pound. Eventually those moments and days will add up, and, before you know it, you will have lost 5lbs, 10lbs, 20lbs, etc... You will find that, the more frequently and consistently you make the RIGHT choices, the easier it will become. Your "small" successes will fuel your motivation and determination to succeed in reaching your goals. You're off to a good start. Today, you have made the choice to get up and do something to help yourself stop making the wrong choices. And THAT'S the first of many RIGHT choices.
  • breakfree51
    Options
    Thank you for sharing,
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I tend to reach for the high sugar/high fat foods when I am particularly stressed. I'm trying to work on this by trying to manage my stress levels a bit more and coming up with coping techniques for when the stress is unavoidable. I'm trying not to bring those kinds of foods into the house as I have little impulse control and once I eat one I quickly end up eating the whole lot. Trying to get some control in my blood sugar levels has helped too as I'm not having as many peaks and troughs anymore. I'm the same as others, I don't drink, don't smoke so my go to is food and am trying to change this.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I found that as long as I allowed myself to eat sugar and wheat, that I occasionally binged. Wheat and especially sugar are addictive for me. Just like an alcoholic knows that he/she cannot ever have the tiniest bit of alcohol again--I know that I can not have any food with added sugar again. When I completely cut them out last May (after getting totally exasperated with myself for falling off the wagon YET AGAIN!) I found my appetite much easier to control. When people ask me if I don't feel deprived (when I again turn down cake, pie, candy, etc.) I just tell them that sweets are metabolic poison for me. I wouldn't miss arsenic either. :bigsmile:
  • caseyg9888
    Options
    I am addicted to food when I get stressed. I think most people with a weight issue addict themselves somehow to food. I basically threw out all the bad food in my house, killed the kids, but we have no more cookies and chips ect. If I buy for their lunches I buy pre-snack sized food, then if I do get that "craving" to cheat, I eat, log in, adjust my calories for the day and move on. You can't feel guilty. By accepting the fact you can have that 100 gram of chip, you remove the guilt, without guilt there is no remorse.
    You can do this!!

You killed the kids?!