Shakeology

Options
I would like more information on this diet and if it actually works. I haven't done much research and figured I'd ask around about it. What is it and how do you get into it?

Replies

• hatsuharu01
    hatsuharu01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Id recommend going to MeaganFitBod for that question. She's a fantastic person to talk to about it. She has told me a little bit about Shakeology but I'd feel like an idiot explaining it to you. So here I stand pointing you in her direction :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Drink really expensive shakes in place of real food, learn nothing about eating properly and probably put the weight back on because you won't live on shakes the rest of your life.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Drink really expensive shakes in place of real food, learn nothing about eating properly and probably put the weight back on because you won't live on shakes the rest of your life.
    Sounds legit.
  • bagsrpacked
    Options
    I use Shakeology as meal replacements when a) I'm in a hurry and need a good, healthy breakfast - I mix with almond milk and it keeps me full all morning b) I'm bored and don't know what I want to eat and want to avoid eating badly or c) I'm having a chocolate craving - will have it along with a salad made of spinach with some additional protein (salmon, chicken, etc).

I don't see this as a bad thing at all. I have friends who have lost and kept off a ton of weight using Beachbody products - that said, I dont' think it's a magic bullet. It is a helpful tool - and the nutrition, calories, and carbs in these shakes and the Usana brand shakes, in my opinion, are better balanced then many others on the market.
  • ggv1978
    ggv1978 Posts: 10
    Options

Well put!
    Learn to balance your workouts and meals to have a healthy life style.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

QFT.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Shakeology isn't a diet, it's a supplement/ meal replacement.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will get some helpful and thoughtful PM's.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I would like more information on this diet and if it actually works. I haven't done much research and figured I'd ask around about it. What is it and how do you get into it?

you should do your own research.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    please no
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This.
  • MeaganFitbod
    Options
    Thanks jjn
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    No. Its a gimmick and a pyramid scheme. If you cant maintain your diet for the rest of your life, don't do it now.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Plus if you're really lucky, you might get to experience muscle loss, become a yo-yo dieter, or (in extreme cases) end up with a binge eating disorder.
  • MeaganFitbod
    Options
    I just want to point out that Shakeology should be used as part of healthy diet...it is one meal...it is NOT in place of eating a balanced diet.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    OP - the cynicism you're hearing isn't directed at you, it's directed at Shakeology. A lot of folks here feel like it is snake oil and are upset about someone possibly getting taken advantage of.

(I agree with them.)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that Shakeology should be used as part of healthy diet...it is one meal...it is NOT in place of eating a balanced diet.

I call BS. They say 1-2 meals a day from what I have seen. That is not healthy. All they are doing is putting a band aid on their food issues. They are still not learning how to eat a balanced diet. Protein shakes for body builders/people getting fit is fine because its not about weight control, its about nutrition and taking care of themselves.

Are they going to be still drinking shakes at 80 years old? Probably not. This is about learning how to eat for the REST OF YOUR LIFE so that they can maintain your weight once they lose the extra stuff. They might as well go out and buy slimfast or diet pills. Its the same thing. Band-aid. band-aid, band-aid.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    OP - the cynicism you're hearing isn't directed at you, it's directed at Shakeology. A lot of folks here feel like it is snake oil and are upset about someone possibly getting taken advantage of.

(I agree with them.)

Plus we're only talking about how bad an approach to a healthy lifestyle the product is. Taso has hinted at it, but you should also be warned that is sold through a pyramid scheme, which a dangerous approach to sales in itself.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am on a ketogenic diet. I add a shake or two a day because I sometimes have a hard time getting my protein intake high enough. I'll probably keep using them for the rest of my life, after learning how much protein my body requires for maximum health.

I'm (vaguely) considering turning vegetarian and using shakes for protein. I haven't done enough research on vegetarian diets to make such a life-changing decision. I certainly am a carnivore. But I depend on shakes to keep me in the healthy range for MY body.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Your pocket book will be MUCH lighter. Is that where you're looking to lose weight?