Always Thirsty!!

Options
pipinana
pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
Question,

I drink on average 120-168 oz of water a day, and I am ALWAYS thirsty. Is this normal? I mean, that's a lot of water to be so thirsty right? I'm just trying to determine if I should just drink more water or consult my doctor...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

=)

Replies

• raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    talk to your doc!
    excessive thirst is one symptom of untreated diabetes... it couldn't hurt to figure this out!
    is your weight loss fairly fast? do you feel tired a lot? are you using the bathroom a ton?

some other symptoms (i copied this from a website):
    Blurred vision (diabetes can lead to macular degeneration and eventual blindness)
    Numbness and/or tingling in the hands and feet (peripheral neuropathy, a symptom of diabetes, causes nerve damage in the extremities)
    Slow healing of minor scratches and wounds (diabetes often leads to impaired immune system function)
    Recurrent or hard-to-treat yeast infections in women (another sign of impaired immune function)
    Dry or itchy skin (peripheral neuropathy also affects circulation and proper sweat gland function)

i hope you figure it out soon! good luck
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I concur with raleigh.
  • Crickks
    Crickks Posts: 94
    Options
    talk to your doc!
    excessive thirst is one symptom of untreated diabetes... it couldn't hurt to figure this out!
    is your weight loss fairly fast? do you feel tired a lot? are you using the bathroom a ton?

some other symptoms (i copied this from a website):
    Blurred vision (diabetes can lead to macular degeneration and eventual blindness)
    Numbness and/or tingling in the hands and feet (peripheral neuropathy, a symptom of diabetes, causes nerve damage in the extremities)
    Slow healing of minor scratches and wounds (diabetes often leads to impaired immune system function)
    Recurrent or hard-to-treat yeast infections in women (another sign of impaired immune function)
    Dry or itchy skin (peripheral neuropathy also affects circulation and proper sweat gland function)

i hope you figure it out soon! good luck

Yes...what she said....
  • pipinana
    Options
    Hmmmm good questions. Weight loss was slow... Lost 32 in a little over a year. I do feel tired a lot, and was tested by my doc for Vit D levels. It was low, so he put me on supplements (I am feeling better w/ the tiredness since I started though). I'm not going to the BR too much... maybe every couple of hours?
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.... just as a side note -- I was EXTREMELY thirsty when I was
    preggers .... (whut whut) :)

BUT, that said, always best to call the doc to be sure. I know you watch your
    sodium right? I know too when I have too much salt, I'm always thirsty.

check it out please

xo
  • pipinana
    Options
    hmmmm.... just as a side note -- I was EXTREMELY thirsty when I was
    preggers .... (whut whut) :)

BUT, that said, always best to call the doc to be sure. I know you watch your
    sodium right? I know too when I have too much salt, I'm always thirsty.

check it out please

xo

LOL, I'll get it checked out... I'm usually right around where MFP sets me for sodium, but maybe it's too much... *sigh* IDK, booking an apt today though. xox =)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Question,

I drink on average 120-168 oz of water a day, and I am ALWAYS thirsty. Is this normal? I mean, that's a lot of water to be so thirsty right? I'm just trying to determine if I should just drink more water or consult my doctor...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

=)
    Hey Pip:happy:

I was drinking a TON of water thinking, ohhhhh water is so good for us, how can it be possible to over drink water. The more I drank the thirstier I got, it didn't make sense to me but I didn't pay much attention I just had another bottle of water. lol

So I did go to the doctor for some blood tests that I normally get every so often and she got the results back and asked me how much water I was drinking. Her mouth dropped open and she said OMG, you've got to cut back, no wonder you kidney test came back not quite normal. Apparently my sodium level in my body was sooo low because I was washing out all the natural sodium that our body needs to keep our electrolytes in balance. She shared how our Kidneys work hard to hang onto some sodium and keep it in balance and by drinking to much water (or any other beverages) it can really throw off our sytem.

She suggested (highly suggested..lol) I cut back to half of what I was drinking in the past and it's working far better for me. I am not thirsty all the time like I was, far more energy so I don't know if that would have anything to do with your being thirsty or not but might be worth asking your doc about.:wink:

Becca♥