Completely hacked off

Options
chicky26
chicky26 Posts: 127 Member
So after loosing 94lb, changing my life around for the better, eating healthily and exercising I am completely and utterly hacked off!

Now before I start I really don't have reservations or prejudice about people having procedures/operations done to change their life/body if that is what they choose to do. I always say no one can live your life but you so do what makes YOU happy.

As I have said I eat healthily and exercise maybe three or four times a week. I weigh about 147lb and I'm 5ft 6in so my BMI is 23.7 and my body fat % about 24 when put through a calculator.

Some people are starting to say that I look too thin, that I'm starting to look unhealthy. That my healthy eating and exercise has gone too far and I need to stop because I'm obsessed and too thin.

The fact that I want to improve my body and health through diet and exercise is completely mind boggling to them. The thought of actually putting in effort to get results befuddles them.

Then in the same breath when I explain to them my goals and ambitions they say . . . . . . . . BUT SURGERY COULD SORT THAT OUT!?!

What kind of world are we creating when people are worried about you when you eat healthily and exercise and think that surgery is a good solution too that!!! madness!!!!!!!

Once again I have no problems with surgery if that is a persons wish, its just the absolute ludicrous idea that surgery is a better solution when the person is ACHIEVING results through exercise and diet!

Rant over . . . . . sorry guys.

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    You dont say......hmmmmm......yes yes, do tell more how what other people say truly defines who you are.
  • chicky26
    Options
    well of course it doesn't. But although it does not define you, it sadly affects you.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Only if you so choose to allow it.

If you know who you are, and live who you are, then never shall the perceptions of others impale your self-being
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'd be pissed too! If I worked long and hard to get where you are now, only to be told I should have chosen the surgical route, I think I would have to tell that person where to stick it. Not exactly the same, but a friend of mine and I were talking and I was commenting that it seems no matter what I do I can't seem to lose the saddlebags. She said I'd be a good candidate for elective cosmetic surgery. The notion was ridiculous, I am not the kind of person to go under the knife by choice. You look great by the way :flowerforyou:
  • chicky26
    Options
    @ bold . . . . I know what you are saying, and respect that. Unfortunately I have not mastered it lol. although I am clearly hacked off at peoples comments, my main grievance here is the perception of others and unfortunately seemingly the movement in society that surgery is a better solution to healthy eating and exercise.
  • eatandexercise1
    eatandexercise1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You look great, you feel great. Keep up doing those things that make you healthy and happy, and everyone else can go jump off a log :)

Congrats on your success!
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I'm seeing the same behavior with certain people in my life too and I still have quite a bit of fat left around my midsection. And of course they are the people that need to lose weight the most. I think it's just a natural defense mechanism for them that makes them feel better about themselves. That's just my opinion though.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    On your comments about being too thin. I didn't have a large amount of weight to lose,about 25 pounds or do. When I got close to my goal, a lot of people were saying I was too thin. Mostly in-laws. Now they have got used to how I look, they see old photos and comment how much better I look now. Sometimes it takes people a while to adjust to you being more awesome with every day that passes. When they do mention being too skiny, I start by explaining to them everything I have learned about fitness and health and their eye glaze over after a few minutes and they never mention it again.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Pay them no heed. Remember, alot of people also used to think the world was flat. They were wrong about that too.

And you look great btw.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Some people are dilholes.
  • chicky26
    Options
    Thanx everyone :D
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and got down to 143 a few years ago, and my mom told me I looked sick and that I need to stop losing. It really hurt my feelings. At the time I didn't see the real changes in my body and I still saw the very overweight person in the mirror. Looking back at pictures of myself at 143, I hate that I didn't see it, because i looked really good. (and I did not look sick!!)

Anyway, you look beautiful!!! Don't worry about what others say, they're just jealous!!
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any surgical technique that can fix diabetes, so your pals maybe wrong.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds--no pills, no surgery--and I'm damn proud of it. I have shared with others that I might want to lose 25 more pounds and some think it is too much. However, no one has suggested that surgery is better for me than what I have done. If someone would make such a suggestion, I wouldn't punch them, but I might question their sanity.
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    @chicky26 - Yes, I know exactly what you mean. My family and close friends were not supportive of my weight loss. I started coaching high wrestling and the boys look up to a fit, ripped coach.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Sometimes people just have to have something to nag you about (my mom was like that). Just tell 'em you'll take it under advisement. Then ignore it.
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I tell you sometimes after a good workout I have the NEED to hack off if my wife wasn't around!