Genetically Predisposed to a Food Addiction?

Options
In my AP Psychology class, we've learned that there is a biological factor to addictive behaviors. Some of it can be blamed on social influence, but a majority is hereditary. These addictive behaviors can target anything, even habits that don't create any sort of physical dependence. The most common of the aforementioned was proven to be eating disorders (including overeating). Here's my question....
I come from a family where it's blatantly obvious that the "addiction" gene plays a huge factor in our habits. We've got alcoholics, self-mutilators, drug users, compulsive gamblers and the like. I myself have noticed that I can get hooked on something VERY easily and I quickly find it nearly impossible to stop. One of these things being my obsession to binge eating. I can start but after about two days I break. It will literally tattoo itself in my mind, consume all of my dreams, possess all of my thoughts until I can no longer stand it. Is there any hope for me? Is there any way for me to truly do this?

In Psych, we learned that to people with addictive behaviors, something as simple as eating can be equated to a drug addiction. How can I beat this? :/

Replies

• schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Willpower is your only hope. Alcoholics need willpower to put down the drink, others need willpower to put down the fork
  • ktrichards06
    Options
    Yup exactly what the above poster said!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Some people's brains are more eagar to create extra dopemine receptors. That's the happy hormon that is realsed during a pleasurealbe activity. Extra dopemine receptors are created when a person intrduces addctive drugs (including nicoteen), and from sugar/carb binges and fat/sugar combos. Even if one has the genetic predisposition, you need to introduce the behavior for said chemical reaction to take place.
    If this is your case, it is some what repairable. Once your body stops getting flooded with dopemine, the extra receptors will go dormant. They will never go away, but, they will stop trying to stimulate the behavior that gets them flooded with hormons. Usually, this takes about 90 days. So, you may feel depressed for a short while (but, getting your blood sugars stable should conter that). Just remember, a return to binge eating (over eating) will again flood your body with dopemine, and awake those receptors. It's not that one big meal or a birthday party and *BAM*... but, a pattern of behavior.
  • tat2dzombiegirl
    tat2dzombiegirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I had this problem getting started. I would clean the house or go for a walk to get my mind off of food. I was starving myself at first because I was so scared of food and binging, no good. If I need to eat late night I love air popped popcorn with butter cooking spray. It feels like I'm eating so much but has no calories.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I'm an ex smoker so I know how horrible it is to deal with the mental aspect of quitting. I started binge eating recently, for the first time in my life, chocolate (stupid Christmas) was always the trigger. I had to give up chocolate completely, after three days, the all consuming day-long binging thoughts finally subsided. I'm not saying I'll never eat chocolate again, I just had to stop it completely cold turkey until I got myself in control. I quit a smoking cold turkey too, eventually it really all does come down to mind over matter and willpower, unfortunately there's no real easy answer. Good luck. I also come from from a family with various addictions.
  • blinkiii
    Options
    Some people's brains are more eagar to create extra dopemine receptors. That's the happy hormon that is realsed during a pleasurealbe activity. Extra dopemine receptors are created when a person intrduces addctive drugs (including nicoteen), and from sugar/carb binges and fat/sugar combos. Even if one has the genetic predisposition, you need to introduce the behavior for said chemical reaction to take place.
    If this is your case, it is some what repairable. Once your body stops getting flooded with dopemine, the extra receptors will go dormant. They will never go away, but, they will stop trying to stimulate the behavior that gets them flooded with hormons. Usually, this takes about 90 days. So, you may feel depressed for a short while (but, getting your blood sugars stable should conter that). Just remember, a return to binge eating (over eating) will again flood your body with dopemine, and awake those receptors. It's not that one big meal or a birthday party and *BAM*... but, a pattern of behavior.

Thank you! This helped a lot! I had no idea about the 90 day thing :P It seems the willpower will be the only thing that will get me through it..
  • blinkiii
    Options
    I understand completely. I had this problem getting started. I would clean the house or go for a walk to get my mind off of food. I was starving myself at first because I was so scared of food and binging, no good. If I need to eat late night I love air popped popcorn with butter cooking spray. It feels like I'm eating so much but has no calories.

Walking does help a lot! But immediately my mind always goes back to it!
    I'll definitely have to try that! I love popcorn, just not all of the oil it takes to make it. Air-popped sounds perfect! (:
  • blinkiii
    Options
    I'm an ex smoker so I know how horrible it is to deal with the mental aspect of quitting. I started binge eating recently, for the first time in my life, chocolate (stupid Christmas) was always the trigger. I had to give up chocolate completely, after three days, the all consuming day-long binging thoughts finally subsided. I'm not saying I'll never eat chocolate again, I just had to stop it completely cold turkey until I got myself in control. I quit a smoking cold turkey too, eventually it really all does come down to mind over matter and willpower, unfortunately there's no real easy answer. Good luck. I also come from from a family with various addictions.

Oh boy :/ Well I appreciate your honesty! It might be what I was scared to hear but it is the truth :P Thank you!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with a lesser form of this my entire life. Just to give a little example, when I was five, I ran away from home because my mother would not feed me lunch early. I took a loaf of bread down the street, to an empty lot,and ate a bunch of bread before I got bored and went home. I too have dreams of food (among other things) and addictions run in my family (alcohol, smoking and food). My only advice, since I've never sought professonal help, is to just keep trying and never give up.

If you give up, you're done. It's taken me three years to lose the forty pounds I gained during my pregnancy. Now I'm working on the rest. It's slow but despite setbacks now and again, I get back on that horse and try my hardest when I have the wherewithal to do so. For me, the key has been maturity and the added motivator of wanting to be healthy for my son. At thirty two, I'm lighter than I was three years ago. Three years from now I plan on being lighter than I am now.

I wish I could give you a magic pill to make it easier but there isn't one. So take a deep breath, tell yourself you can do it and when you fall of the food wagon, take another deep breath and start again.

Good luck.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Just like any addict. This website can be your AA. Find someone close to you for support (sponsor). Find effective coping skills. You might relapse, but get back on the wagon. Plan ahead, develop a menu in advance so when faced with a high risk situation (someone bring over a pizza) you will be less tempted. Yeah it takes dedication but its more than that. I would log into MFP a lot and learn everything you can about how to eat healthy and get tips from others on how they overcome this addiction. Utilize this support network. I'm a substance abuse counselor and I hear a lot of similar things in group that I see on the forums.
  • blinkiii
    Options
    I have suffered with a lesser form of this my entire life. Just to give a little example, when I was five, I ran away from home because my mother would not feed me lunch early. I took a loaf of bread down the street, to an empty lot,and ate a bunch of bread before I got bored and went home. I too have dreams of food (among other things) and addictions run in my family (alcohol, smoking and food). My only advice, since I've never sought professonal help, is to just keep trying and never give up.

If you give up, you're done. It's taken me three years to lose the forty pounds I gained during my pregnancy. Now I'm working on the rest. It's slow but despite setbacks now and again, I get back on that horse and try my hardest when I have the wherewithal to do so. For me, the key has been maturity and the added motivator of wanting to be healthy for my son. At thirty two, I'm lighter than I was three years ago. Three years from now I plan on being lighter than I am now.

I wish I could give you a magic pill to make it easier but there isn't one. So take a deep breath, tell yourself you can do it and when you fall of the food wagon, take another deep breath and start again.

Good luck.

It is so funny hearing your story, as it directly reflects one of my own! When I was younger, my mom wouldn't buy me one of those cheap apple pies that you can buy at gas stations (the ones with about 700 calories). In response I stole one and ate it curled up behind my bed at home. I'm not proud of it, but hey, I really wanted that pie.
    It's really nice to hear that there's some hope! Thank you so much for sharing your story! (:
  • blinkiii
    Options
    Just like any addict. This website can be your AA. Find someone close to you for support (sponsor). Find effective coping skills. You might relapse, but get back on the wagon. Plan ahead, develop a menu in advance so when faced with a high risk situation (someone bring over a pizza) you will be less tempted. Yeah it takes dedication but its more than that. I would log into MFP a lot and learn everything you can about how to eat healthy and get tips from others on how they overcome this addiction. Utilize this support network. I'm a substance abuse counselor and I hear a lot of similar things in group that I see on the forums.

That's a very good point. I have noticed that whenever I start to slack on this site, everything just gets so much worse. It's kind of like the life vest that keeps me afloat. Sometimes it's frustrating because I feel like I should be able to do it on my own, but I suppose that's just my pride talking.