What is this??

Options
I have been reading some of the posts for new recipes. I have two questions???

1) HUMMUS?? What is this and where do you find it in the grocery store??
2) Wanton wraps?? Also what isle is this located??

Thanks in advance for your comments. :smile:

Oops I was logged onto my husbands mfp!:blushing:

Replies

• smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    -bump-
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a dip made out of chickpeas, garlic, and tahini (Sesame seeds paste). It can usually be found with other dips near the deli section or you can make it yourself, it is traditionally a middle eastern dish.
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options

Hummus is a spread made from ground chick peas. You can find it usually where the gourmet cheeses are, near the deli. Wonton wraps are square shaped pasta sheets and I find them near the mushrooms in the produce section. They're fantastic, I make potstickers with them, or ravioli.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't believe you've never heard of hummus!! Ok so Hummus is a greek dip made from chickpeas. It's usually where the dips are or you can make it fresh at home. In a blender, 1 can of chickpeas, 1 garlic clove, 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until fairly smooth. This makes about 10 servings. Cal: 60, fat 1 g, carb 10 g, protein 2 g.

Wonton wrappers, at least in my store are found in the organic section of produce.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hummus is like a dip made with Chick Peas(Garbanzos) I add diced green onion, finely chopped red, green and yellow peppers and serve with Melba toast rounds..
    I'm sure more exciting recipes will pop up LOL but I am not a great cook so its gotta be simple, fast, low salt and low fat for me LOL
  • smarston
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

Hummus is traditionally ground chickpeas garlic, and other spices. I love edemame hummus, made the same way but with edamame (soybeans) you can fine tradition hummus in the fresh foods section of any grocery store OR you can easily make it your self.

Wanton wraps are what egg rolls are made of. They can vary in what they are made of too, but flour or rice is most common. The usually have to be refrigerated. Most likely you will find them where you find tofu in your store.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hummus isn't greek - cdavis 1126, I can't believe you didn't know that.
  • jjohnson0882
    Options
    Wonton wraps are basically the wraps that are used in egg rolls. I'm not exactly sure where they'd be located in any given store, but I shop at Meijer and find them in the produce section in a cooler near things like the lettuce/herbs. The ones I buy come in a square plastic package of 21 wraps. Hope this helps.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hummus isn't greek - cdavis 1126, I can't believe you didn't know that.

It's become associated with Greek food in the U.S. due to most Greek/Mediterranean-themed restaurants serving hummus and pita. These restaurants are much more common than any Arabic-style restaurants.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    This is the best hummus recipe. It's my mom's recipe, she was born and raise in Syria and has been making it since she was 10 years old.

1 can of chickpeas, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 cloves of garlic and about 1/4 cup of tahini. Process the first 3 ingredients in a food processor, transfer to a serving bowl and mix while adding the tahini. Chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes, sever cold.

I had to watch her a million times to get the measurements. My mother is one of those old-school cooks who don't just eye ball the ingredients and then adjust based on taste.
  • naslubs14
    naslubs14 Posts: 24
    Options
    I make my own Hummus all the time, its very simple. I'm sure you get the gist from everyone else's posts.

BTW - "hummus" in arabic means chick pea, so technically you can not have any other type of "hummus" (for example I've heard of black bean hummus) Hummus reffers to the pea itself and not the process in which its made.
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    what does bump mean? silly question
  • smarston
    Options
    People type bump when they want the topic to go into their my topics section for later or when they want to move the topic to the top of the list for more comments. =)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump:tongue:
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    Honestly Hummus can be found ANYWHERE in a grocery store. Our store has it tucked away in the 'health food' aisle which is NO WHERE near the deli or vegetable sections. No one can ever find it so we're constantly giving customers guided tours to the hummus. Haha.
  • smarston
    Options
    This is the best hummus recipe. It's my mom's recipe, she was born and raise in Syria and has been making it since she was 10 years old.

1 can of chickpeas, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 cloves of garlic and about 1/4 cup of tahini. Process the first 3 ingredients in a food processor, transfer to a serving bowl and mix while adding the tahini. Chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes, sever cold.

I had to watch her a million times to get the measurements. My mother is one of those old-school cooks who don't just eye ball the ingredients and then adjust based on taste.

Okay so your going to laugh but what is tahini?? :smile:
  • Lobo1984
    Lobo1984 Posts: 4
    Options
    You folks rock...Thanks for all the recipes!!!!!!!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options

Okay so your going to laugh but what is tahini?? :smile:

It’s a sesame paste. I was told that you can get it an any grocery store, but I’ve only be able to find it at Middle Eastern/Arabic ones.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't believe you've never heard of hummus!! Ok so Hummus is a greek dip made from chickpeas. It's usually where the dips are or you can make it fresh at home. In a blender, 1 can of chickpeas, 1 garlic clove, 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil and 1 pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until fairly smooth. This makes about 10 servings. Cal: 60, fat 1 g, carb 10 g, protein 2 g.

Wonton wrappers, at least in my store are found in the organic section of produce.

I'd never heard of hummus before coming to MFP.