How many lbs did you lose from VSG?

Options
28 yr/f in the pre-op stages of having VSG (also known as Vertical Sleeve surgery). I only need to lose 84 pounds before I hit my goal weight. How much did you need to lose when you had your VSG? Am I crazy for having it?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it done...

With 84lbs to lose is it the best option? I would imagine following a new lifestyle and adding in exercise would be much better.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    28 yr/f in the pre-op stages of having VSG (also known as Vertical Sleeve surgery). I only need to lose 84 pounds before I hit my goal weight. How much did you need to lose when you had your VSG? Am I crazy for having it?

hope you are lubed up... they will ream ya a new one for mentioning anything besides eating back calories & doing dead lifts... WLS is a taboo subject around these parts... Id suggest you do a search for the WLS groups ( I think some are private and you must request to get in) .... Likely there is one or 2 specifically for VSG
  • barbiegivens
    barbiegivens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt but screw em. I had VSG 2 months ago (Nov 8) and I am convinced it was the best decision I have ever made. I also only have about 90 lbs to lose and so far have lost 45. If I were able to lose weight by just cutting calories I would already be then. I tried that many times and just didn't have the willpower. And I have a hard time with exercise because of asthma. VSG is just the tool I needed. Currently I can eat between 800-1000 calories a day and because I'm not ravenous all the time I can properly plan my meals and cook healthier food, I'm not just grabbing whatever junk is infront of me. I would totally recommend it. And I don't know what insurance you have but because I was 1 BMI above "morbidly obese" and the asthma was so bad, my insurance covered the surgery 100%. I paid nothing out of pocket.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of neutral about WL surgery but I'm also wondering why this is the answer at 84 pounds overweight..?
  • barbiegivens
    Options
    I also just wanted to let you know that I started around the same weight as you, 235, and I am 5'3". This morning my weight was 191.6. My food diary is public so you can check it out and see what I eat at 10 weeks out.
  • barbiegivens
    Options
    Because 84 lbs overweight usually puts one in the morbidly obese category and at risk for diabetes, heart disease, etc. Those of us that have been dieting unsuccessfully for the past 15 yrs can benefit from a tool like this. I want to be here to see my children grow up and not be too tired to play with them. I can assure you that without my sleeve I would have never been able to lose the weight.
  • izabelleg
    izabelleg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months out today and have lost 51.8lbs. I'm 5'1" and started at 263.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done on 4/4/12 & I've lost 86 lbs. I will lose about 30 more before I try to start maintaining instead of losing. That will put me at the top of my "normal" bmi range. Having the surgery was really the best decision I have ever made. It has helped me conquer my hunger & now I can easily eat around 1,000 calories a day & be satisfied. The answer of "just eat less than you burn" was easier said than done for me. I was always starving & that made it a constant struggle to stay on track. It led to me binging just for the relief of not feeling hungry all the time. The surgery is a great tool--it will not solve all. You still have to change your eating habits completely. I know that I have an unhealthy relationship with food & will always have to measure & track everything I eat. The surgery is helping me get to a healthy body weight so that I can maintain it.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Because 84 lbs overweight usually puts one in the morbidly obese category and at risk for diabetes, heart disease, etc. Those of us that have been dieting unsuccessfully for the past 15 yrs can benefit from a tool like this. I want to be here to see my children grow up and not be too tired to play with them. I can assure you that without my sleeve I would have never been able to lose the weight.

I've been trying to lose over 100 pounds for ten years. I'm quite aware that it has benefits, I guess I'm just letting my personal opinion about it for myself sway my judgement. It's not something I'd consider unless I had a lot more to lose than I do.
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input everyone! :)