Easy Low Cal Pumpkin Muffins

Options
Tiff4378
Tiff4378 Posts: 45 Member
Incredibly easy. Mix one box of yellow cake mix and one 15 oz can of 100% pure pumpkin together. 17 muffins for 104 calories each.

The calories will vary depending on what brand of ingredients you use and how many muffins are made. Bake as directed per cake mix box.

I used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow Cake Mix and Kroger brand 100% Pure canned Pumpkin. Delicious!

Replies

• fluffyrn12
    fluffyrn12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yummmy Bump
  • Amypascoe
    Options
    These are awesome with a spice cake mix too!
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've done this with spice cake mix and also carrot cake! I made them into "cookies" but they had much more of a muffin texture. They were moist and delicious though, and a huge hit at Thanksgiving as a substitute for pumpkin pie :)
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this recipe with spice cake... but.... Don't get Duncan Hines! 182 calories a piece if you make 12 good-sized cupcakes T___T. Not nearly as healthy as I wanted haha.

The first time I made them, I didn't bother looking up the recipe (it's two ingredients, what could go wrong?) and I used a 29 oz can. Buhhhh don't make that mistake. Texture was terrible, felt like eating glue.
  • Tiff4378
    Options
    Oh I never considered the Spice Cake or Carrot Cake. Great suggestions ladies! I loved the texture of these muffins. While the Diet Soda/ Cake Mix makes a great fluffy cupcake the Pumpkin/ Cake Mix actually makes a nice thick filling muffin.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I make them with Devil's Food cake mix - YUM!
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Also, yellow cake mix with 1 - 20 oz. can of crushed pinneapple in juice is amazing...makes 18-19 muffins, I used it for strawberry shortcake, so good.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I LOVE this recipe with spice cake... but.... Don't get Duncan Hines! 182 calories a piece if you make 12 good-sized cupcakes T___T. Not nearly as healthy as I wanted haha.

The first time I made them, I didn't bother looking up the recipe (it's two ingredients, what could go wrong?) and I used a 29 oz can. Buhhhh don't make that mistake. Texture was terrible, felt like eating glue.

If you divided it into 17 like the OP you'd be at 128, so it's not that different calorie wise.
  • king1988
    king1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Samanthahahaha
    Options
    Bump!
  • jes_kuper
    Options
    bump!:smile:
  • katies2boys
    katies2boys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks, these sound like a great treat for my boys and for me! :happy:
  • TheVoiceOfGodlove
    TheVoiceOfGodlove Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do this ALL THE TIME! But I think the spice cake mix and chocolate mix taste better than the yellow - the spice mix ends up tasting like a Starbucks Pumpkin Muffin (without the cream cheese) and the chocolate tastes like the richest, moistest brownie you've ever had (you can't taste the pumpkin in it).

I've got four of my friends trying it, too!

For an extra little treat (and if you can spare a few calories), plop a miniature (not fun-size) candy bar on top of the chocolate muffins. Each muffin will be around 140 calories - still TONS less than you'd find most places! Yum!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How do you get 17 muffins?
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i made this too but I made almost 24 muffins and they were only like 40 calories..everyone loved them!
  • Tiff4378
    Options
    First Sip, my batch ended up being 17 muffins total after I divided the batter evenly and baked them. But if you want your muffins smaller or bigger than the ones I made your total of muffins would be different than 17.
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    i love pumpkin!! ty