fitbits???

Options
Hi all,

I am seriously considering purchasing a fitbit. I would love to know exactly what my TDEE is on any given day so that I can be sure I am eating at a deficit (and a healthy one at that). So just a few questions:

1. I just wanted to know what everyone else's experience is who uses these?
2. Are they really helping you with your weigth loss progress?
3. I also wanted to know whether they work for tracking your calorie burn during exercise, or is it only for normal daily activities?

I'd really appreciate your advise and opinions on the matter!

Replies

• LucyBug13
    LucyBug13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and I wear it everyday. I've had it for a little more than a year. I like it a lot -- especially in conjunction with MFP. But a few caveats:

1. I don't really have much weight to lose (if any). I'm mostly interested in maintaining and lowering my BF% and just staying fit (and maintaining my weight as I get older -- which ain't easy:). The combo of the Fitbit and MFP helps me stay within my recommended calories each day. And I've found that valuable.

2. I think is pretty accurate at recording calorie burn for most exercises when you're on your feet and moving in a reasonably stead, repetitive action: running, elliptical trainer, aerobics. I train for triathlons and do karate. Obviously, you can't swim with it:). But it also doesn't accurately record cycling, in my experience. I seems to hardly register the movement at all -- so I just manually enter my biking time. It's the same for karate -- seems to register the calorie burn too low.

3. Be sure to read the information about negative calories and how they're calculated and reported on MFP in conjunction with the Fitbit. It's kind of difficult to understand and adjust for at first. But now that I've figured it out, I like that it helps me adjust my calorie intake real time.
  • tsta1350
    Options
    Thanks LucyBug13. That's some really good advice.

I have 6 kilos to goal (so not a ridiculous amount to go) but I am interested in having something like this which I can use in conjunction with MFP even once I hit my goal so that I can maintain my weight- which I have struggled with in the past. So it's good to know that it has been working for you in this capacity.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit because it encourage me to e more active outside of my workouts. I wear it while I am awake and it barely registers when I do my recumbent bike or even my TurboFire workouts. I wear my HRM when I work out, too.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question, this thread has been helpful to me!

I Googled fitbit to see what the current product is like and came across a review from the NY Times (http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/the-fitbit-flex-improves-on-its-rivals/). It looks like they're going to come out with a new, improved version this Spring at the same price point as the pocket version.
  • tsta1350
    Options
    Ok i think going to invet in one. That new one looks great. Might wait till its released then! Thanks for the info!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is only designed to register workouts such as walking, running, etc. It is not designed for calculating calorie burns during other workouts, such as the different ones listed above. However, you can sync your fitbit with other apps (including this one) to calculate exercise calories. I personally use an HRM with the endomondo sports tracker app on my phone. This also syncs with your fitbit. So if you have 1700 burned calories from the day so far, and then endomondo says you burns 500 in a Turbo Fire workout, it syncs up with fitbit to give you 2200 calories burned total.

I use fitbit 24 hours a day when possible and it is synced up to my exercise tracker and MFP.

I have lost much more body fat calculating things this way than using the generic calculator here on MFP.
  • Aniseedvan
    Aniseedvan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I bought mine to try and encourage me to be more active during the day. My exercise consists of a rowing machine and a recumbent bike at home, which I record using an old HRM.

I'm not sure mine has helped me lose weight over what I was doing before, but having a desk job isnt the best for my health so it does give me a kick to get up and move about!

They are bringing out a wristband style one soon, so yes best to wait and see if this is best for you.
  • tsta1350
    Options
    Hmm ok good to know how they work for tracking exercise calories. I do actually have a HRM which I haven't been using for the last couple months as it ran out of batteries and as I was using it for so long I basically new how much I would burn on any given workout, so have just been estimating recently. But maybe this isn't such a good idea - I should probably stop bein so lazy and get some batteries!

I am really mainly interested in knowing how much I burn during my normal day to day activity. I'm trying to work out my TDEE and work out the best amount to eat to safely loose weight and then maintain my weight once I get to my goal. So maybe if I take the attitude to use the fitbit for normal daily activity and keep using the HRM for exercise....
  • Anita672
    Anita672 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi again tsta, can you tell me more about how you are using Fitbit/MFP for weight loss/maintenance? Right now I log intake via MFP. I enter exercise here - using either the MFP database, the calories predicted by map my run or shown on my treadmill. I just recently got an inexpensive hrm which stopped working half way through my workout. I haven't figured out if it is a battery issue or what. Like you, I am interested in getting a more accurate idea of calories burned so I can create a calorie deficit from there vs rely on the MFP calculation. Right now I am at 1237 calories and not sure if there is another approach that would work better.
  • tsta1350
    tsta1350 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Anita,

We have pretty similar stats I am (currently) about 70 kgs and looking to loose about 8-10 kilos. I, like you, was eating 1200 for a long time. I did it and it worked, I lost about 6 kilos in 4 months (got down to 66kgs) but then I hit a plateau. I did a bit of research and realised I was eating far too little and by eating this small amount I had damaged my metabolism and forced it into functioning at a very slow rate, and so I could no longer loose weight eating at this amount.

So after finding the EMTWL (Eat More To Weigh Less) forums and putting in my numbers (I would STRONGLY recommend you do the same) I worked out that based on my numbers I should be eating at the ABSOLUTE minimum about 1500 cals just to be alive- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). But everyday I was burning- Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE)- approximately 2200 calories (so I should be able to loose weight – the healthy way - eating 1800 a day). However as I had been eating so little for so long I had damaged my metabolism so I needed to reset and eat at maintenance for a while so my body could recover and I could start loosing again (but at a much smaller deficit).

So that is what I’ve been doing for the last two months. I’ve been gradually increasing my calories to get to my correct TDEE and am now finally getting used to eating this much and enjoying being able to relax with my food a bit. Although, in saying this, I have still been keeping within macros – 30 protein, 30 fat, and 40 carbs. I have also been focussing on doing less cardio (usually mainly doing more walking now and only one HIIT a week) and am trying to lift heavy at least twice a week. For the last two weeks I’ve finally been able to get myself eating at TDEE.

Anyway it was for this reason that I got a fitbit. I wanted to have a more accurate estimate of my burn (TDEE) so that I could eat the correct amount that I should be able to eat and maintain on it (and then eventually loose on it!).

Before I got a fitbit I would enter in my exercise (usually measured with HRM) into MFP. But since I have got a fitbit I never do this. I only enter food into MFP and let my fitbit measure my activity (this can vary between 2000 and 2800 depending on how active I am). The fitbit data will adjust your numbers on MFP and tell you how much extra (or less) than your MFP target calories you can eat a day.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story about calorie consumption because I really truly believe this is the way to go. You should have a read of some of the stickies from the EMTWL forum. It is frustrating putting the weight on again, but this would have happened anyway unless I wanted to eat 1200 forever (which I DON’T). And it’s good knowing that I am doing the right thing for my body and this way I should be able to the loose weight FOREVER!

Sorry for the essay!
  • lethomp
    lethomp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Just thought I'd chime in here. I started out with a Fitbit as well and used if for a while. I liked it, and it gave me a good idea of my calorie burn. However, I found myself forgetting it sometimes, and the new one actually kept popping out of the holder it came with. I understand their new version may solve this problem as it's more of a wristband design.

I felt like I wanted to know a more accurate number regarding my calorie expenditure for the day; my fitbit was missing things like weight training and other exercise calculations were really estimates based on formulas. We're all different.

I moved to a BodyMedia Fit Link armband. It's more obtrusive (though not in the wintertime), but for me I like the way it works and the data it reports. Since it's constantly on my arm and using 4 different sensors to measure my skin (temperature, moisture, etc.), I feel it's giving me a more accurate picture of my calorie burn. The app for the iPhone works great with the Link version; I can update via bluetooth and see where I stand. It also syncs with MFP to report your calorie burn for the day to that point, and MFP extrapolates that for the day to give you the negative calorie adjustment.

I'm finding this works great for me. I'm not bothered by the armband (really only took a day or two to get used to it, now I can't even tell it's there). Seeing my deficit based on actual measurements (not formulas) and diligent tracking of my food intake has been great. Plus, I like the technology and fancy charts. It tracks all exercise accurately since it's not based on steps (measures those too, BTW) and movement. Summing my deficits over time and comparing that to my weight loss has shown the accuracy is quite good. I'm happy with it.

Just something to consider. How much you have to lose and your comfort level with estimates versus on body measurement sensors may dictate which way to go. I, however, am strongly hooked on the Bodymedia Fit Link.

LT
  • Anita672
    Anita672 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!! Really appreciate the insight.

Tsta, I have discovered the EM2WL group. This is an area I have really struggled with. I found that eating at the level recommended was essentially maintenance for me. I started to slowly reduce my intake to find where I could see some weight loss and here I am again just under 1300. That being said, I am eating "calories back" at times to ensure my "net" does not go below 1200.

The habit of journaling with MFP is well established for me. The big mystery to me is if the calorie goal is correct with that ambiguous "activity factor". Activity is a struggle for me in terms of consistency. It is something I have been working on a consistent amount of cardio and strength training twice a week. I've had a recent shoulder injury that has derailed me with the strength training but I see myself being back on track soon. I don't think my strength training, etc. is at the level it needs to be to warrant more calories. But, the Fitbit would help me figure that out!

I totally agree that having a more accurate estimate of my burn (TDEE) will help me figure out the correct amount that I should be able to eat and maintain on it (and then eventually lose on it!). I'm thinking I too need to give it another go and eventually get to a smaller cut to promote weight loss. I think that a higher calorie level that I can be consistent with will be a better long term strategy. I do find there are 1 or 2 days a week or month where I am not at my calorie goal and go really overboard. I have been working on my macros and although I am not at 40/30/30 my carbs are a smaller % than they were. I have too much on the go right now that I haven't felt prepared to give the EM2WL philosophy the 100% attention/commitment it needs.

From my research, the Fitbit One seems to be more accurate with steps counted and calories burned. I think with the ability to check in with the display that will give me insight even without being able to sync until later in the day at home on my PC. I also like that I can clip it to my bra whereas the Jawbone Up is a bracelet you need to always wear. There are 2 cons to the Fitbit - the syncing issue and also it sounds like they are easily lost. But all in all it sounds like the product for me.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the Bodymedia Fit. It's much more accurate.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Also: FitBit is coming out with a new product this spring that is a wristband rather than a pedometer style item. So you may want to hold out for it!

I love mine so far. I'm still getting used to which activities FitBit takes care of (all my walking and stairs... I live in a city and don't have a car so it adds up quickly!) and which it doesn't (my 60 - 90 minute daily yoga practice) and figuring out the calories from there. I am in maintenance mode but I do notice that it motivates me to take the stairs instead of the elevator and to walk to work rather than take the subway... :) I love badges and accomplishments!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There will also be the new AMIIGO
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!! Really appreciate the insight.

Tsta, I have discovered the EM2WL group. This is an area I have really struggled with. I found that eating at the level recommended was essentially maintenance for me. I started to slowly reduce my intake to find where I could see some weight loss and here I am again just under 1300. That being said, I am eating "calories back" at times to ensure my "net" does not go below 1200.

The habit of journaling with MFP is well established for me. The big mystery to me is if the calorie goal is correct with that ambiguous "activity factor". Activity is a struggle for me in terms of consistency. It is something I have been working on a consistent amount of cardio and strength training twice a week. I've had a recent shoulder injury that has derailed me with the strength training but I see myself being back on track soon. I don't think my strength training, etc. is at the level it needs to be to warrant more calories. But, the Fitbit would help me figure that out!

I totally agree that having a more accurate estimate of my burn (TDEE) will help me figure out the correct amount that I should be able to eat and maintain on it (and then eventually lose on it!). I'm thinking I too need to give it another go and eventually get to a smaller cut to promote weight loss. I think that a higher calorie level that I can be consistent with will be a better long term strategy. I do find there are 1 or 2 days a week or month where I am not at my calorie goal and go really overboard. I have been working on my macros and although I am not at 40/30/30 my carbs are a smaller % than they were. I have too much on the go right now that I haven't felt prepared to give the EM2WL philosophy the 100% attention/commitment it needs.

From my research, the Fitbit One seems to be more accurate with steps counted and calories burned. I think with the ability to check in with the display that will give me insight even without being able to sync until later in the day at home on my PC. I also like that I can clip it to my bra whereas the Jawbone Up is a bracelet you need to always wear. There are 2 cons to the Fitbit - the syncing issue and also it sounds like they are easily lost. But all in all it sounds like the product for me.

I got mine for Christmas, and it's been clipped to my bra every day since then. I sync it with MFP, so I'll input any activity at the gym in manually here (and it considers that information so as to not credit me twice for the activity and provide a more accurate picture). I love it. I like working towards the goal steps every day, and being able to check up on where I'm at even though I don't sync it until the end of the day. When I was on vacation in Spain recently, I wore it and was shocked at just how much walking I was doing (24,000 steps often, surpassing the daily 10,000 goal). Yeah, I've forgotten it a couple times, but you can forget a wristband too. It's all about getting into the habit. It definitely makes me want to walk a little further or take the stairs instead of the elevator to boost my daily numbers.