The deal with oatmeal

Options

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What type of oatmeal do you eat? If it's the old-fashioned cook on the stove type, you're probably fine. However, if it's instant in those little packets, then you might be eating more sugar than you would like.

This
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is one of my favorite meals for breakfast. I use old fashioned oats (1/2 cup uncooked), 1/5 apple, 12-13 almonds, Splenda and cinnamon. Its a generous portion and keeps me satisfied for hours.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've never cared for cooked oatmeal due to the texture but recently I was reading somebodies recipe for 'overnight oatmeal' and I started to play with it a bit. It's turned into 3/4 cup of old fashioned oats with yogurt...then I noticed how high my sugar was.

As of this morning I tried 1 cup old fashioned oats with homemade greek yogurt and combined the yogurt with pumpkin pie spice and stevia. I just mix it together, don't even bother warming. Yummy...definitely my new fav.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't eat oatmeal or any other grains. Personally, my experience has proven to me that it is not healthy. However, if you enjoy it, then eat it and don't worry about what your boss, or anyone else has to say. Perhaps if you experiment with your own body and put in thousands of hours of research beyond the generally-accepted health advice, like I have, maybe you'll make your own discoveries.

So this is your passive aggressive way of stating that you don't believe oatmeal is healthy? Nice that you sneaked a pat on your back in there too!

I wasn't trying to be passive aggressive. Obviously I can give my opinion but people will do what they want. And yes, I do state that it is my opinion that it isn't healthy. It's "patting my back" to mention that I have invested LOTS of energy into exploring what kinds of food eliminate illness? Really? I'm actually driven to share my experiences, which the medical community considers miraculous, but people like you are always quick to attack. Just keep doing what you are doing, ignore me, but RESPECT my right to share my experience.

Exactly what illness does eliminating oatmeal prevent?
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal. But first in the morning with insulin resistancy it's not doing me any good. But I found out, that I can eat it as a second breakfast (I usually do some protein shake as first), if I put in old fashioned oat, some linseed or ground nuts , cook it with water and mix it with about the same amount of greek yogurt or quark and half an apple or some berries. I use no sugar/honey and usually no sweetener. Sometimes I add some cinnamon or vanilla seeds. It's one of my many breakfast variations!
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    My mother ate oatmeal almost every morning, and it kept her healthy for years. Recently my dietician asked me to start eating oatmeal too, so it can't be that bad. At least it fills me up :)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you this - I have oatmeal at night, to help me sleep. With a banana :) Was an intuitive choice - later I learned why I was drawn to it (carbs).

Oatmeal doesn't give me anywhere near enough energy to do stuff in life, as a breakfast.

edit: if I were religious about midmorning snacks, I guess I could make it work. But I'm not; breakfast has to work til lunch, & oatmeal doesn't do it for me.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am using a nutritionist who advocates oatmeal but suggest putting a tablespoon of peanut butter in it to up the protein content
    I add tsp of pb anda scoop of chocolate flavored whey protein sometimes....comes to about 400 calories and 40/40/20 carb/prot/fat ratio.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a metabolic issue with carbs, such as diabetes, there's nothing wrong with them.
    Even if you do have an issue, they can still be a part of a healthy diet, but you have to follow your prescribed diet and monitor.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is only as bad as the process you put into it. So if you get those prepackaged processed garbage ones with tons of sugar- yea it's gonna be bad.

Its better to just get the naked ones and add your own stuff. Try things like honey, agave necture or even just fruit and some cinnamon. Or go savory and do bacon, and eggs with a lil' cheese and garlic.

All things in moderation of course.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I eat the old fashioned oatmeal that you cook. I add no calorie sugar, salt and cinnamon with the spray butter. I really like it and it is very filling and high on fiber.
  • peggy90807
    Options
    I have never understood why people say oatmeal sticks to your ribs, I get a blood sugar crash 2 hours after I eat it because it's so high in carbs. Since I started eating a high protein breakfast I have not had that problem.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal nearly every day, and not the instant crap. I don't understand why people use the instant stuff, anyway. It only saves you like six or seven minutes of preparation time. I mix it with yogurt and honey; peanut butter; or cinnamon and honey.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal at least 4 times a week, love it!
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I like Bob's Red Mill organic whole wheat high fiber hot cereal. I add raisins and cinnamon, usually. Sometimes apples. It takes some getting used to as far as textures go but that stuff will fill you up and provide you lots of fiber and I think protein. I haven't had any yet since being back on here but I plan to soon! Perhaps tomorrow!
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what happens to me too! I crash hard and get extremely shakey. But it did lower my c
    loresterol. Funny that I cant stand sweet oatmeal so I just salt pepper it!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You can cook regular rolled oats just like instant oatmeal--I do it every day for breakfast. One minute 15 seconds in the microwave and hey presto! Real oatmeal without having to dirty a pot.
  • dorihinkelmann
    Options
    I have never liked the oatmeal you have to cook but I do like the instant oatmeal...but what m I missing?...looking at this box now and it shows me a max of 130 cals n 27g carbs for 1 pkg of fruit & cream plus the skim milk I add to it...
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It is high in carbs, but it the 'good' kind that are high in fibre and slowly absorbed. I'm always over my carbs and sugars by the time I eat a banana, but as long as its not a huge one, or just eat half, I wouldn't worry. I am diabetic, and need to watch my carbs, but my dietician told me that this is a great breakfast, and it's even okay to add one serving of sugar/honey. I suppose it all depends how your body reacts, but if you're eating it, and meeting your goals (weight-loss, maintenance, whatever) then you're good to go!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    the problem with oatmeal (to me) is that there's all those carbs, and no protein to balance it and keep you satisfied longer..... whenever I have oatmeal, I add protein powder to it. works like a charm

^^ This! I have oatmeal for breakfast every morning and I love it:
    - 1/4-1/2 cup "old-fashioned" oatmeal
    - 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    - 3/4 cup almond milk
    - Other add ins like instant coffee and/or cinnamon and glutamine when I'm lifting heavy
    Mix together and put int the fridge overnight and it's ready in the morning