help

Options
earlier today i weighed myself, and just now after dinner i made a comment about how my dinner probably made me gain ten pounds and it got me curious so i checked and i had gained three pounds..in one day???? is that for real???

Replies

• lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    never weigh yourself after a meal it will make you crazy try to limit to once a week upon waking after using the bathroom that is how you get the most accurate results

I did that a couple of times after exercising and drinking tons of water which the scale said I had gained 2lbs so not a wise idea
  • BowaBowa
    BowaBowa Posts: 162
    Options
    weight can fluctuate throughout the day, water weight is probably what you're looking at. Try weighing yourself in the morning, and keep it consistent with the time of the day.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Most people will see their weigh fluctuate 3-4 pounds over the course of the day. It's totally normal and that's why most people weigh themselves in the morning. Don't worry too much...stay consistent with your diet routine. If you create a calorie deficit and follow a healthy diet, you'll see weight loss over the course of a week. You'll drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself all day long.
  • shelle2010
    Options
    oh good...thanks guys!!

i was like holy cow three pounds in a day!! i wanted to cry ...i did just drink about 3 bottles of water with dinner but i didnt think of that i guess i just seen it go from 193 to 196 and i said nooooooooooo
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    if you want an accurate weight just do it in the morning when you wake up
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Wake up, pee, strip off if need be, weigh yourself THEN whatever else you have to do. No drinking or eating before morning weigh in,
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You probably just need to poop.
  • Earguy
    Earguy Posts: 35
    Options
    A liter of water weighs about 2 1/4 pounds, it's pretty easy to drink half a liter of water at a meal, and many will drink a full liter. Add that to the weight of your food, and it's pretty easy to see how you could gain over two pounds just by having a meal.

Just for fun:

Weigh yourself as soon as you wake.
    Pee, and if you can, pooh, re-weigh.
    Eat breakfast. Re-weigh.

At some point, also re-weigh yourself three times in succession, to see if you get the EXACT weight every time (scale inaccuracy.)

Weighing yourself daily can really put you on a rollercoaster because of daily variation in hydration, excretion, etc. Best to do it once a week, first thing in the morning after emptying bladder and bowel to get true weight of your body.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    As someone who weighed at just about every interval in her day, it is normal. I gain a few pounds after ingesting anything, (I assume this is blood going to the digestive system), exercising (again, blood going to my muscles and organs), a high sodium day before, I am almost at my lowest at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and usually lowest first thing in the morning after my morning pee. Though a few times I was lower after making coffee. :noway:

My scale is put away now that I am on maintenance and will only be taken out for special occasions, like Sunday.:laugh:
  • shelle2010
    Options
    thanks for the help!! :happy:
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's probably sodium and water weight. A pound is 3500 calories. I'd HIGHLY doubt whether you ate 3500 calories in dinner, let alone what it would take to gain three pounds.

http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com
  • majorgal01
    Options
    Stick to one weekly weigh-in. Do it at the same time each week, under the same conditions. I do it first thing Monday morning, after I use the bathroom and before I get dressed. Otherwise you will drive yourself nuts with the little daily fluctuations.
  • quelee
    quelee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have gained up to 6lbs over night after a big dinner but it's usually salt and only temporary.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!