Healthy Cereal Choices?

Options
Hey all! :) I've been on the hunt for a good, healthy cereal lately. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi cereals and shredded wheat (the frosted kind is not as bad as you might think).

and of course oatmeal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    kashi cereals aren't too bad...lots of fiber and some even have a pretty good bit of protein...but truth be told, most breakfast cereals I've come across, even "healthy" ones have too much added sugar for my taste. Of course, that's just my taste. I'm pretty much an oatmeal or millet guy....grits every once in awhile.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My fav is Kashi Go Lean
  • GoldLinnet
    GoldLinnet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like Uncle Sam Original. 190 calories, 7 g protein, 5 g fat, 10 g fiber, and less than 1 g sugar per serving.
  • emilybrianne15
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!! very helpful
  • dvdadie
    dvdadie Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "total" wins, hands down.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i'm a cereal addict. i love dry bready-carby things. i get nature's path corn puffs, nature's path kamut puffs, millville bran flakes, millville toasted oats, corn flakes, fiber one original, and occasionally special k protein plus.

the millville bran flakes (Aldi's own brand - very cheap only 1.90/box) has almost 100% of the daily recommendations for soooo many vitamins and nutrients!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Steel cut or jumbo oats, whole rolled barley flakes. Almost anything branded is heavily processed, most have the nutrients removed and some added back, you may as well take a multivitamin/ mineral. Many are packed with salt and/ or sugar.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I love that Special K Protein Plus cereal.. 10g protein in every 3/4 cup
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Home made bircher muesli is rather good:

http://www.mueslilover.com/2010/02/recipe-jamie-olivers-bircher-muesli-or.html

You can make up one big batch and use as needed.
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    shreeded wheat, weetabix or porridge are favourites in our house
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

And 7g of sugars ....
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options

This is my go-to cereal as well. And yeah, it's got 7g of sugars. That's a lot better than the 14 or so grams of sugar in the Froot Loops I used to eat.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I start almost every day with Spoon Size Shredded wheat. No added sugar or salt, and delicious topped with frozen berries!
  • christopherharry
    Options
    I've made my own meusli for years but have no idea how to calculate the calories, fat, etc. for addition into my meal calendar.

It's about 8 parts raw oats, 2 parts oat bran, 1 part flaxseed, 2 parts sliced almonds, 2 parts dried cranberries.

I make this in bulk and eat 0 .5 cup each morning. Any clue how I report this?
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been loving Kashi Go Lean Crunch in the mornings. I put a 1/2 cup of blueberries on it...very good!
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My favorite is All-Bran Original. It must be eat with cold whole milk to taste good though. :smile:
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I've made my own meusli for years but have no idea how to calculate the calories, fat, etc. for addition into my meal calendar.

It's about 8 parts raw oats, 2 parts oat bran, 1 part flaxseed, 2 parts sliced almonds, 2 parts dried cranberries.

I make this in bulk and eat 0 .5 cup each morning. Any clue how I report this?

Just like you do any other recipe - add all the ingredients, divide by # of servings.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Normal Ready Brek with protein powder mixed into the milk before adding to the oats. That way you can have any flavour or combo of flavours you want.