I prefer to go to the gym alone. Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    When I had my gym membership, I preferred to go alone. I like to go at my own pace and zone out to my music. I feel too distracted with a friend. Even when I walk or bike ride, I'd rather go alone.
  • Truth. I hate going with people. I feel like it becomes a competition. I hate it.
    This is why I am glad I'm stronger than all my friends.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Alone!!!!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I like to go alone. It bugs my hubby. He likes to go with someone. I get there, put my headphones in, and do my thing. I don't want to talk or be talked to.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I find that if someone wants to workout with me, they like to talk, they're not as motivated and aggressive towards training as I am. Hence I like to stick my headphones in and stare in the mirror.
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    i'd prefer to go with someone but i don't have anyone to go with :cry:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's my time to get out of my brain and focus on my body. I just like to zone in on the work out and tune everything else out.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I prefer a partner. It makes me try harder.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I perfer to go alone and focus on my workout while I am exercising. I also enjoy talking to others/getting to know people between classes/activities...
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like taking bike rides and jogs with other people but the gym time is MY time. I use that time to clear my head.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone. Actually, I can't stand working out with someone, it's just not for me. The gym is my "me" time. I put on my music, crank it up, and I'm in the *kitten* zone.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Alone...otherwise I get too distracted to get a good workout in...plus I look weird and feel mean when I am lifting, so I wouldn't make a good partner!
  • Wargamergal
    Wargamergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone, except when i am doing weights then i drag my bf down to spot me!
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Hey there, fellow introvert! Always nice to me another of our kind. :laugh:

I would seriously copy and paste what you just wrote to her in a message. Or read it real natural-like when you call her to decline.

I cannot work out with a partner, for all of the reasons you just stated. I work out at home now because I got tired of people trying to chat me up at the gym (I guess I have a friendly face that screams "TALK TO ME, PLEASE!") I don't understand why others would want to do it, really.

Explain it honestly, and I think she will understand.
  • jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer working out alone, particularly when I'm running/walking. I am an introvert to begin with, but I also just work harder and longer when I've got good music blasting, and I feel like I have to talk to/entertain the person that goes with me. My boyfriend is always wanting to go running or to the gym with me, and I usually just have to deal with it b/c I don't want to hurt his feelings. I also feel like, with most people, it becomes a sort of unspoken competition of who's working out "the best". My bf is particularly annoying b/c he's always trying to give me advice. I know he means well, but UGH.

I really don't have any advice for the OP, just sympathy. Maybe try to go to the gym when you know your friend can't go? Or, like others have said, you could bite the bullet and try to explain that it's not about HER, just that you don't like working out with ANYONE.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm typically a loner. Most people at the gym think I'm a snob since I don't talk to anyone. Once I'm on the floor, I focus on working out. I don't hear anything around me as my headphones block out most noise & what's left is blocked out by the blaring music from my iPhone directly into my ears.

I have one friend who I workout with 2 or 3 times a week, she's like me tho: we go in, decide what we're working & we work hard - we do chat a little, but we don't just stop & chat - it's always constant motion with us. Workout time is my "me-time", I can think, I can plan, I can organize. I pay enough attention to not walk into someone or disrupt someones workout, but I keep to myself otherwise.

For you friend, go ahead, workout with them once - let them know usually you workout alone, but maybe you can workout once a week: you may learn something from each other (new moves, better form & posture, etc.). You may also inspire them more or vice versa. Take chance, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. You're an adult, you can speak up.
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Alone for me. Every now and then I don't mind going with someone else, but that's not a normal routine :)
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Me too!! Though If I workout with someone who has no problem keeping up with me and doesn't mind being not so chatty then I am fine with it.
  • jessjess8143
    Options
    I love going to the gym alone. I can workout at my own pace and not worry about anybody slowing me down (or me slowing anybody else down).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    unless the person i'm working out with is on the same exact page as me, i absolutely must work out alone. fortunatly my gym buddy is pretty much on the same mindset as i am. we may lift different sized weights, but we do enjoy our work outs together. but we don't hit the gym every time together.

i find that talking about what you want to do the day before may be a good way to prepare the person to be working at your intensity. it may also discourage the person from coming, which is what you might want.