Anyone else gluten free?

Options
Hi everyone!
I've been on a gluten free diet since July because I found out that gluten irritates my skin and aggravates acne. It's been going well except for when I'm really busy with my classes and am swamped with work. When that happens I just end up eating the only good gluten-free thing that the campus library offers which is a gluten-free brownie and coffee. Not the healthiest meal; plus I just end up with a sugar crash. So I'd love to have some more gluten-free friends so that I can look at their diary and see what they eat for lunch etc. Thanks a bunch!! ~Lily

Replies

• JanessaDC
    JanessaDC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been GF for about a year and while my diet isn't perfect as far as health, I have become pretty proficient in when I can and cannot eat. Please feel free to friend me!
  • marie5282
    marie5282 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been gluten free for almost three years since being diagnosed with celiac disease. It's definitely been an adventure, to say the least. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want...we need to stick together!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free, and at school it is harder because a lot of things aren't labled as gluten free but traditionally shouldn't have gluten, but then sometimes they do. But my school has gluten free bread so my fall back is always just a sandwich, or a salad, or just plain chicken, or egg whites, lots of stuff. If you friend me you can see my diary
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    No sarcasm intended here at all. Serious question.

Other than to those with celiac. Is there a big benefit you find to being gluten free? I only ask out of curiosity.

It really depends on whether or not a person has any symptoms they can't pinpoint to something else. Gluten-intolerance can come in many forms from skin irritaions, stomach issues, arthritic pain, etc. For me, I struggled with "IBS" symptoms for nearly ten years. I have a dear friend that has Celiacs and she suggested trying going off gluten. Guess what? Worked wonders. I've lived for over a year now without gut pain and other unsavory issues that I had in the past.

I think the big benefit just really depends on whether or not your body has an issue with it.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am for the most part, but I don't go out of my way to avoid it.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Not gluten free, but I limit it extremely. I am allergic to it. I rarely eat bread, pasta, drink beer any longer. I usually use wraps for lunch, but those can be avoided and the contents placed in a bowl for microwaving. Also, I will cook large meals and portion them into lunches and freeze them. That is very helpful. You only need to cook once a week, and after a few weeks you will have a good store of different home cooked meals to choose from.
  • 9xuzts
    9xuzts Posts: 40
    Options

Other than to those with celiac. Is there a big benefit you find to being gluten free? I only ask out of curiosity.

I think there is a perception out there that if you don't have celiacs, then you don't have an allergy to gluten, but this just ends up being unfair to the group of us that have variety of sensitivities to wheat. I, for example, break out with painful acne that leaves scars on my face if I eat anything containing gluten....a lot of people who find out that I am gluten-free think that I'm doing it just to be trendy...So the short answer to your question is yes if you can tell that gluten negatively affects you in some way then it helps to be gluten-free. I certainly wouldn't do it though if I didn't have a serious reason. I don't think the fad gluten-free diets that people go on wihtout a serious health reason are good. It's a difficult diet and if you don't have a reason to be on it then don't. lol I miss eating pie when people offer it to me!! haha
  • 9xuzts
    9xuzts Posts: 40
    Options
    And thanks everyone else for your responses!
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    My daughter (she's 6yr old) has a gluten sensitivity so our whole family has pretty much gone gluten free just because it's easier. I too am going back to school so I pack myself hard boiled eggs, yogurt, small salads, granola bars, air popped popcorn, gluten free pretzels, fruit, ect. I just put it in a small lunch bag with a freezer pack to keep the cold stuff cool. I just pack my lunch the night before when I'm packing my kid's lunches and it's just become a routine. I feel better too because I know exactly what I'm putting in my body and plus it saves a lot of money because eating out adds up. Good Luck to you!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options

I think there is a perception out there that if you don't have celiacs, then you don't have an allergy to gluten, but this just ends up being unfair to the group of us that have variety of sensitivities to wheat. I, for example, break out with painful acne that leaves scars on my face if I eat anything containing gluten....a lot of people who find out that I am gluten-free think that I'm doing it just to be trendy...So the short answer to your question is yes if you can tell that gluten negatively affects you in some way then it helps to be gluten-free. I certainly wouldn't do it though if I didn't have a serious reason. I don't think the fad gluten-free diets that people go on wihtout a serious health reason are good. It's a difficult diet and if you don't have a reason to be on it then don't. lol I miss eating pie when people offer it to me!! haha
    It gives me horrid reflux… so painful!! I pretended not to know after I found out for quite a while, but finally faced the fact. I love bread and pasta and good beer. So it is limited now. Low calorie tortillas and corn tortillas are my regular bread now.
  • lindseyb317
    lindseyb317 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for about a year now.. tested negative for celiacs but doc said i have an intolerance to it.. i feel WAY better now that i've cut it out. the hardest part for me is not cheating. I'm very diligent about checking ingredients and I definitely notice I feel a lot better. Feel free to add me :) I'm always open to new friends!! Lindsey
  • bunjijk
    bunjijk Posts: 44
    Options
    My son is on a gluten free diet for autism and I have been wanting to start on one myself so he doesn't feel left out when it comes to mealtime. I have heard that doing away with wheat products can help with some dietary issues even though you may not be allergic or sensitive to gluten. It's a very difficult and can be a very expensive meal plan (if you try to buy "normal" foods in GF versions, that is). I have tried for years to bake breads and other items for my son and rarely did they turn out okay. I buy Udi's bread products and just limit other items like cookies and pasta. I HATE the corn based pastas - rather go without. How do we friend people on here so we can compare notes on GF products and possible recipes???
  • shirleydawson
    shirleydawson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Virgin Diet ebook this week and have been reading up. So Thursday I began trying to eat Gluten and Dairy Free. I'm 100+ pounds overweight and have tried so many things but still no weight loss. I've been logging occasionally on here since October 29, 2012 when I was at 280. My weight has gone from 280 down to 276.8 and everywhere in between. Thursday morning I weighed 278.2 and began trying this way of eating.. This morning, the 3rd day of this eating plan, I weighed 275.8. The lowest I've weighed in almost a year.

I'm diabetic, with fibromylgia, degenerating discs in by back, and osteoarthritis in my hip along with a MPD blood disorder and asthma. Losing weight has become almost impossible. Even my diabetic doc is encouraged me to do bariatric surgery which I really don't want to do, since any surgery for me is a stroked risk. I had a stroke after my last surgery. I decided before Christmas that if I could lose weight on my own before I see in again in late January, I'll definitely hold off on surgery. So I'm hoping this will work for me.

I've got lots to learn about eating gluten free and dairy free. I've never been diagnosed with IBS or celiac disease but JJ Virgin says in the book that this should help with my insulin resistance and inflammation from any autoimmune disorders. I did notice this morning that my fingers were easier to make a fist with when I woke up. My blood glucose levels are doing great too so I've cut down on my insulin injections.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

People with allergies (intolerances to wheat) have similar symptoms to those of Celiac's. I get massive rashes all over my body that itch like mad and I also get pain in the joints, migraine's and more...it's different but for some...it's definitely a good thing to skip the wheat. If you have no issues - not diabetic - not allergic or Celiac - than you'd be crazy to give it up because it's super expensive to go totally gluten free and very inconvenient when it comes to eating out.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DH avoids gluten due to autoimmune problems headlined by MS and diabetes. He isn't perfect about it, but cutting down to nearly none has improved his health as has coming to MFP to work on weight loss. His blood sugars are better and he feels better. He also functions better. If you're just getting started with eliminating gluten, be sure to read labels on all sorts of products. Most beer, for example, has gluten This is a treat DH loves and he was able to find a very good gluten free beer, that he drinks occasionally as a treat.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for almost a year now. It's tough but it can be done. I've noticed that many restaurants have a gluten free menu available but you have to ask for it. Otherwise, it's not offered at all.:grumble:

Going gluten free has helped my migraines, stomach issues, and skin rashes immensely. If I slip up, I pay for it later!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like!
  • anguianoj
    Options
    Are any of you able to eat gluten free meals at restaurants, i.e. corn tacos, even in a non gluten free environment?
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I couldn't have said this better. i definitely have a gluten allergy--though I've never been diagnosed with celiac disease-- b/c every time I have any wheat my stomach swells to an insane size and I get awful cramping/sharp pains in my stomach, I break out, and I have zero energy.

I feel SO much better when I don't eat any, so it's worth it to me. I never ate sweets or chips or anything like that even before I figured out I had an allergy, so it hasn't been insanely difficult. It's hard to "give up" healthy things like rolled oats and wheat bran when they are so good for you.
  • k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can! I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago with celiac disease, it wasn't surprising since I am also a type 1 diabetic and I was able to figure out what was going on quickly. I've been told that I have pre-celiac disease which I think is just a fancy way of saying I haven't had it long enough to do any long term damage to my intestines or what have you. ANYWAY back to your question, haha, I'll chose gluten free meals in non gluten free restaurants all the time. If there isn't a gluten free menu I'll find something and make substitutions until it is as gluten free as it could possibly be. However a poster mentioned gluten being found in items you would never think of and that bothers me more than anything - twizzlers, candied pecans, etc can have traces of wheat

EDIT: this was in response to the question about eating gluten free in a non gluten free environment!