"Creative Eating"

Options
OK, I am getting to a point where I need some help. I can't go full-on grocery shopping for awhile, so I need some help with suggestions of what to eat until I can. I realize that we all have different things in our patries right now, but please let me hear what you all eat when you're down to your last dime. Of course, I am trying to lose weight and eat healthier! Suggestions for easy and quick breakfasts, at-my-desk lunches and snacks, and kid-friendly dinners all appreciated. Thank you much!

Replies

• NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? One of my tricks when I'm low on money for groceries is to throw a bunch of canned/frozen veggies in the crock pot and simmer it all day. Last time I used diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, frozen corn, frozen green beans and a little veggie stock (water is fine). Really, just about any canned or frozen veggie works, and beans boost the protein. I always have a few spare cans lying around, so it's a good way to use them up.
  • summersun512
    summersun512 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Granola/oatmeal w milk go a long way for breakfast girl. They keep me really full much longer than other foods. Bananas too! Even if I don't have really "healthy" stuff to eat I still stay on the 8,10:30, 12, 2:30, 6pm meal/snack schedule and I still always manage to keep the calories in consideration, no matter what I eat. Sometimes you have just got to make it work with what you have. I eat lots of soups like pureed tomato soup or white bean soups w veggies, esp. at work. Also, lots of water before you eat is a great way to keep your body hydrated and it increases your metabolism as well. Check out this little article I found for some more ideas: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/12-ways-to-jumpstart-your-metabolism/

Good Luck hun!
  • ClaireTrev
    Options
    My cheap and healthy eats:

Fish cakes - mix tinned tuna with mashed sweet potato, or grated zucchini for a lower cal option, bind with egg and lightly flour before baking (or frying is you are allowing yourself the extra oil.. it tastes yummy!) You can make a massive batch for about $10. Great for dinner or lunch.

Veggie Frittata - whip up your eggs, add milk if you want to, definitely chuck in dried herbs if you have them, and add whwatever veg you have - pretty much anything tastes good in this. Again, make a big batch for under $10 and slice into portions, it'll do you for plenty of meals and is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

What staples do you have in the pantry? if you have any brown rice, quinoa, legumes etc in jars then cook them up and make a salad. legumes are soooo cheap if you buy dry ones in bulk. Lentil curry is a cheap, filling option that can be made really low fat. If you have chickpeas you could make a big batch of hommus and eat it in sandwiches/with carrot/celery/cucumber sticks.

Haha I could go on all day about this.. my uni days made me an expert on cost-effective eating!

If you let us know whats in the pantry maybe we can all suggest recipes!