I prefer to go to the gym alone. Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Definitely prefer to work out alone. I like to zone out and just crank out my cardio. It's a great mental vacation.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I would rather go to the gym by myself too. It's my "me" time... I don't need/want any distractions.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, much prefer to just put my headphones on, turn on the tunes and focus on what I need to do. Your friend needs to do the same.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way. when i go with most people i have to change my routine for them because the dont want to do some of the things that i do and they want to talk the whole time we are there
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    I hate to work out with someone else! I enjoy my alone workout time. :smile:
  • sassytoadegree
    Options
    well im just the opposite i find doing it with others more fun. Maybe if u dont want to hurt her feelings you could just explain how u feel and offer to go with her once a week and do the other days by yourself. Just a thought. gl
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    i prefer being alone and being in my own world when I lift. I have friend or two that I see at the gym, but I nod, do my workout and then later when I am done and they are done we will hang out. Until then..I love being by myself. I won't even work out with my boyfriend.
    I always see couples working out.

Not me. I want my boyfriend to leave me alone .Besides, I can lift more than he can!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I like to run with others, but definitely like hitting the gym alone. Extra people = extra time
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My cousin used to beg me to take her a few times per week last year, and it was pure hell. All she wanted to do was talk and switch machines after like 10 minutes. When I wasn't done, she would stand in front of whatever I'm on, and just stare and wait until I'm done. I'd tell her to go away, but she said she doesn't feel comfortable being alone elsewhere. When I'm working out, I'm in my own little world focusing, and do not want to be disturbed.
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I find it a whole lot easier- and less stressful to work out alone. I tried working out with a friend of mine... I finally had to fire her as a workout buddy. She pestered me constantly about wanting to work out with me, so I'd call her those days when I was getting ready to leave- I have a 1/2 hr. drive while hers was 15 min if she hit every red light. I mostly got excuses why she couldn't go. The best was the day she couldn't work out because it was too cold and the zipper on her jacket broke- it was in the 50's outside; sweatshirt weather in WI. On the majority of the days she did show she was late- as much as 45 min. That was when I finally put my foot down. We're still friends, so her firing was just a little bump in the road.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    A good gym buddy inspires you to give it your best even when they are silent. Just having them there is support enough to take bigger risks. If it feels like an invasion or you're suffocating - either its the wrong person or a partner just isn't your thing.

Don't compromise your you time, whichever way you prefer it.

I can't run with anyone yet, though. Still working on that.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I do not go to the gym with other people, and I purposefully keep my headphones on at all times to let people at the gym know I do not want to talk to them :laugh:
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I go alone, I have no desire to go with other people. I am with people all da every day... Gym time is my time!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think it depends who you work out with. I only really ever had one person I could do so with. We would run outside during the summer and do circuit training and such. Gym time.. we went together but didn't stick together. We had the same kind of motivation. But OMG!! I get so annoyed seeing 2 girls chit chatting while they tie up 2 machines that they are just using as a stool. I really don't care if you wanna chat... do it off the equipment. For that reason, I go alone.
  • DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I lived on campus, I would go to the gym with my roommates once in a while, but it really didn't work out for me. I liked going with them (sometimes) because it's motivational (elliptical races), but I found that I would skimp on my workout most of the time because I didn't want to keep them waiting. Or someone would have a lazy day (almost every time) and we would all drop down to her level.
    Eventually, I got into my own routine that was inconvenient for everyone else (oh well!). Do what is best for you.
  • cheleket
    Options
    YES!! Most people I know say that when they make a plan a to workout with others, it keeps them accountable to show up because they don't want to disappoint the others. I find that when I've agreed to workout with friends - I'm doing it for them, not for me. When I go to the gym/workout alone, I'm doing it for me (as it should be). :wink:
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    If I am doing a lot of cardio I prefer to be alone.

If I am doing a lot of weight lifting I don't mind someone tagging along.
  • shaebaybee07
    shaebaybee07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout alone the majority of the time but I'm not opposed to it. Either way, I'm going to get my workout in. So if someone is joining me at the gym, I let them know beforehand that we will put in some work. That weeds them out quickly...
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have preference. Alone is good. Buddy is good. Group is good. I'm flexible.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Def. Get less done.