Does sugar Detox make you dizzy?

Options
I started the 17 day diet three days ago and have been feeling a little dizzy since starting it. For me this is a huge sugar detox as up until making this change I lived on sugar and carbs. I am eating a lot of food but barely make it to 1200 calories a day. I don't feel hungry just a little woozy. Can sugar detoxing do this? I am drinking plenty of fluids so it is not that. How long does it take for your body to adjust to being sugar free?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• TanyaDelAngel
    TanyaDelAngel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hypoglycemia is when your blood glucose levels drop too low and your body and brain can't function properly and you feel dizzy. Any one can correct me if I'm wrong

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/carbs.html
  • ginamsnowden
    Options
    I am doing a sugar free detox as well, I felt a little shakey, had huge headaches the first 4-5 days,and had fatigue off and on after that for a few days. I am on day 12 today and feel great!! Good luck!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not sure a sugar detox is a real phenomenon! What 'toxins' are released into the body as a result of giving up sugar? Sounds like hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) try spreading your calories and carbs through the day better and make yourself eat enough - healthy calorie dense foods include oily fish, nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, cocoa powder, creamed coconut, dried fruit.

Drinking water alone does not hydrate you, the body needs carbs and electrolytes to hold onto it.
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I too have been off sugar for about 7 days. But I am taking medication as well for glucose intolerance. My issue is I going Insane!!! I am craving a soda or Ice cream! this is making me feel anxious even. I have totally changed my diet due to health issues...no sugar, low fat/cholesterol foods. I feel Im going nuts!
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd say your having som kind of blood sugar issue, or blood pressure. When I first started dieting, I was dizzy and headachy by about noon. Make sure your eating enough calories.
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is very very difficult for me, because I absolutely lose my head. Honestly - I went to the store 4 times while cooking last week because I just couldn't remember anything! I think some people just have more difficulty, either because of genes or because of other dietary constituents. Fake sugar, for instance.
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. It has been four days processed sugar free and it is nice to know some of what I am feeling is normal. I too have been forgetting things and unable to concentrate (although seeing a donut or candy bar instantly brings me to attention)! I have been through this before I remember the first few days (week or so) were awful. Thanks for the encouragement. I do probably need to eat more healthy calories as my calories have been 1000-1200 daily which is a HUGE jump for me. I have lost 4 pounds though!!
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sounds like you're not getting enough Calories to me. The point of eating healthy is to feel well. Don't just ignore having memory problems and dizziness.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sounds like you're not getting enough Calories to me. The point of eating healthy is to feel well. Don't just ignore having memory problems and dizziness.

I agree with the last poster. 1200 cals might be ok if you do absolutely nothing all day. I know others will disagree. WTG on giving up the sugar!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the symptoms of doing a stupid detox
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    QFT
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've done the 17DD a few times and always feel like that the first few days.

It does get better!!!

Make sure you are eating a lot of leafy greens the iron should help, also try to push yourself for the 1200 mark...I don't remember if you can eat nuts on the first 17 days or not - but if you can it's a good way to get the calories in. Or Eggs, just choose higher calorie foods. Good Luck!!!!! :)
  • 76scenic
    Options
    It can make you dizzy and all sorts of withdrawl syptoms.

This is not unlike quitting smoking, drinking or any other habitual addiction. Your body was used to getting those things and now it's not and feels all discombobulated.

Please keep up the detox as you will be rewarded hansomely. To the point that once you are past this, the next time you have sugar you will feel all bogged down and crappy again.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    I did the sugar detox a few months ago. i was already doing paleo so just had to drop the fruit, didn't get TOOO dizzy but i think it's like giving up a drug, you'd get shakey and dizzy with withdrawals......
  • selebash
    selebash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You need at least 1500 calories a day with roughly half of your energy coming from carbohydrates. I'm not saying go crazy on sugar but eat things like bananas, apples, whole grain breads to get these carbs. Carbs are used as the main energy source in the body, roughly 2/3 of your energy during exercise comes from carbohydrates. Your red blood cells rely only on glucose for energy and when you're getting dizzy you're depriving your blood cells of nutrients contributing to hypoglycemic episodes. Your body needs at least half of your diet to be carbs to prevent ketosis which is where your body breaks down proteins for energy and this results in a high blood acidity which damages your kidneys, tissues, etc.

In short, please eat an extra 300 calories and make sure you're getting enough carbs to prevent the light headed episodes.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

this
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It's low blood sugar and not enough calories. Been there, done that. Gotta eat more healthy foods, drink lots of water and have some fruit for sugar.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I did the sugar detox a few months ago. i was already doing paleo so just had to drop the fruit, didn't get TOOO dizzy but i think it's like giving up a drug, you'd get shakey and dizzy with withdrawals......

you are both deluded. honestly. you HAVE to have a coffee or citrus anima daily to go along with this, otherwise the toxins just collect in your lower bowel and multiply until you start loosing vitality.

people swear by it. loads of people. honest. its a not a detox unless it comes out of your butt. in a surge. happy flushing.
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Jesus christ people. She didn't go on a pseudo-health guru rant about needing to get toxins out of her system like this is some kind of exorcism. It is perfectly reasonable and responsible to want to cut out processed white sugar. I can vouch that it's hard on the body no matter how much godforsaken fruit you're eating. /butthurtnewb