Any help is appreciated. thanks

Options
Help me. I am at 1350 calories a day and exercise about 3 to 4 times a week. I am stuck at 197.4 pounds since a little before Christmas. I try to eat right and have had virtually no fast food (subway salads if anything). I started mfp at 214 pounds. Do I need to go back down to 1200 calories? Increasing the exercise may not be an option for me as I work all day then squeeze what I can in the evenings. I have even slowed down on the wine consumption! I would like to lose at least 20 more pounds (177) by March.... then work my way down to 155 by July 1 (my 35th birthday)..

Replies

• daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd say it sounds like you're eating too little. I've been eating at least 1400 cals/day for 6 months and started out at a lower weight than you. I know that the higher your starting weight, typically the more calories you're allowed to consume and still lose weight.

also are you drinking enough water? regardless, I'd try upping your cals to 1400 or 1500 for a week or two and see what happens. It's also weird, but I typically lose my weight (on the scale) a few days after a splurge day. Like that kicks my metabolism in the butt or something. :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Chances are you're not logging accurately, and it probably wouldn't hurt to increase your calories. If you open your diary, lots of really smart people here can help you.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    What is your average tdee? That would give a better sense of how appropriate your calorie goal is. You might alo want to look closer at how accurately you are tracking - do you weigh/measure food?
  • poptart2012
    poptart2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I turn 35 on July 1st as well. Determined to be in a bikini by then as I have never owned one. Feel free to add me
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lily.

Plus I would also try the following:
    1) a few days of much closer monitoring of portion sizes to make sure you are actually only getting that many calories
    2) a few new foods that are nutrient dense - can't see your diary so I don't know if you are already eating these, but vegetarian protein sources like pea soup and almonds also have a lot of fiber in them and they help move everything through the body more efficiently.
    3) make sure you're integrating weight bearing exercises into your gym routine, and if you have been doing everything same old same old in your workouts, change it up to challenge your muscles. Muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle also burns more calories than fat.
    Hang in there!
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am 204, 5'10 and I eat 1500-1800 calories a day and more depending on my workouts. I would increase the calories a little and see if that helps. Also you might want to invest in a HRM because most people over estimate their burn and MFP is an estimate also. I have a Body Media Armband and LOVE it! I was on a 6 month stall and since using the armband I realized I was over estimating my calorie burn by almost half! Good Luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That's only a few weeks. Weight loss comes in fits and starts and it is easy to have 100 extra calories or 5 per day around the holidays. Relax.

Before you make any radical changes, I would recommend being super careful about measurement and portion size, watch your sodium, and waiting a few weeks. Then see where you are.
  • cynthiapena7165
    Options
    hi everyone, i'm new to these and i guess i'm not
    taking in enough calories, but I don't know what to
    do. my calorie intake is suppose to be 1200 a day and
    yesterday and today it was under what can i do.
  • crazy4fids
    Options
    I agree with Liz and Lilly, make sure you are accurately tracking and logging what you are eating. Make sure you log the catsup you use when you have french fries... Also, change up your workout routine. If you are not lifting weights, start. Last of all, don't panic. As long as you are maintaining a calorie deficit, the fat will come off.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    hi everyone, i'm new to these and i guess i'm not
    taking in enough calories, but I don't know what to
    do. my calorie intake is suppose to be 1200 a day and
    yesterday and today it was under what can i do.

Aside from the links I just posted, you can also read these -

For those eating below their BMR, not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing some info your way is all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html
  • KateDayton
    KateDayton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Money,

I would try going a few weeks without ANY wine? I can totally relate - it's my go-to therapy in the evenings, but once I stopped even one glass of wine/beer, it really made a big difference. Only taking calories that are really nourishing your body is the healthiest thing for you, in my opinion. Good luck - I know you can get there!! :)
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are going to happen and it usually takes a shift in activity to rev up your metabolism to move things along. Have you thought about cross training? Is there a particular reason you are at 1350 calories? I know the reason I am at 1200 calories is because I am on a program at OSU and they put me on a machine to see what my resting metabolism was and at 1200 calories I am set to lose 3 pounds a week and I can tell you I've been right on or above target.
  • Money2005
    Money2005 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ok thanks
  • Money2005
    Options
    hey thanks allot!!
  • Money2005
    Options
    THANK YOU1
  • Money2005
    Options
    dang, i KNOW YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT BUT i DON'T WANT TO ADMIT TO IT!! THANKS AGAIN !