recording unique foods on the food calculator??

Options
hi guys! a lot of my meals end up being some un-nameable food (since i'm chinese and a lot of the food have names either only in chinese or not included in the food catalogue). how do you deal with needing to record foods that aren't included here on mfp?

Replies

• J_sparkle
    J_sparkle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue, too. My husband is Chinese and we eat more of his preferred foods than my American palate. When I've gone into the database I look for it in the most basic description. For example: JamPong I searched as - Korean soup noodles and found it that way. I've been lucky to find a lot of the foods we eat (even some of the Taiwanese stuff).
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Some recipe sites have nutrition info based on ingredients. That's usually my first source of info, otherwise I may try to break it down by ingredient myself. When adding a new dish, please try to label as best you can with an English translation for those coming after you.

I added several Korean dishes this way.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    you can create a recipe for it..just add in all the ingredients..you would be surprised and what is in the database. I am from Guam and shop at an asian store and lots of my stuff is in here.

The recipe tool will give you a complete breakdown for that meal.

If it isn't in english and you can't scan the barcode.. make your own name for it and copy the info off the back of it..
  • roiLEI1554
    Options
    alright, thanks all (:
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of korean food and when they don't have it, I just look up a recipe for it, and input the ingredients into the recipe calculator here and do it that way.
  • ohyousillygirl
    ohyousillygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do this for Indian food! I usually check a couple of other websites and see if they have it listed at and then use the average of those. Or if I know what all of the ingredients are I’ll do the calculations roughly in my head. It’s obviously not going to be exactly right but usually I feel like it’s a close enough estimate. I wish you could label the things that you “quick add” but I’ve found just writing what it was in the notes section works just as well so if you look back you can actually remember what you had.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I input ingredients that are not in the database, or fix ones that are incorrect. I will go to the USDA www for the nutritional values. And then I will create the recipes of food I make with the title, "Topher's …"