Calories Burned

Options
I'm starting to get confused about calories burned when working out. So far, I've just been going off of what MFP says. Which had been about 970 calories for an hour of elliptical and about 700 something for an hour of stationary bike. Does that seem really high, or should I just trust the MFP database and keep going with it? I definitely feel like I'm burning a lot. I'm exhausted and super sweaty by the time I'm done.

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I find that for leisurely walking, the MFP database is pretty much in line with my HRM and the GPS tracking app I used to use. For elliptical, MFP seems to report a little on the high side, and for martial arts, MFP is MUCH higher than my HRM says. I think there is a lot of variation in the database. Probably the safest bet is to get a HRM and use that.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion - I feel some of those numbers are inflated on MFP. Will be interested to see what everyone else says.
  • kristinlc88
    kristinlc88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Buying a HRM is pretty much not going to happen. I'm on an extremely tight budget right now. I'm only able to go to the gym because my apartment complex has a fitness center that's free to residents.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The running/jogging seems accurate, but I think the downhill skiing is inflated.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just started going to a gym. I have been using the calorie numbers on the fitness machines, but I guess that only works for the cardio machines.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You can't go off of mfp's calculator. I wear a HRM and have found a huge disparity between mfp and reality. Plus alot of the mfp calculations have no idea of the effort or level you are doing the activity at nor your fitness level (which greatly impacts how many calories you burn). So until you are able to get an HRM just know that using the mfp calculator will be a hard way to truly assess your progress and if you are over or under your goal.
  • rockingranny45
    rockingranny45 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The numbers are way off. I go to a gym that tracks you how many calories you burn on the machines and the number i get is way under mfp.
  • kristinlc88
    kristinlc88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ugh, this is the answer that I was afraid of...Anyone have recommendations for a good, CHEAP HRM?
  • kevbot34
    Options
    If you go by the numbers off the machines at the gym, just know you're probably burning more than it says you are. Amount of clothes you're wearing, the temperature of the gym, the setting on the bike/elliptical. I don't think it takes in to consideration you're biking a 4 minute pace but you're going hard at high resistance. MFP does over exaggerate a bit, but don't let that stop you. I lost 18 pounds last year based on my diet and the amount of cardio I was doing through MFP numbers. Just keep up the good work with the exercising.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Ugh, this is the answer that I was afraid of...Anyone have recommendations for a good, CHEAP HRM?

Just get the basic model from Polar. You don't need anything too fancy and their base models are great. The FT series has many options on price points and they are the mot popular ones. Good luck
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Look on eBay for a used one.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Just get the basic model from Polar. You don't need anything too fancy and their base models are great. The FT series has many options on price points and they are the mot popular ones. Good luck

I'm not sure what you mean by cheap - but you can go on eBay and see if there is anything up for bid. I just got my FT7. Cost about $75. Might seems "pricey"..but I consider it an investment. Definitely do your research and see what fits your needs and budget and maybe save up for the one you want and is of good quality.