IRONMAN 70.3 athletes! Curious how many you eat per day?

Hi everyone!!

I am an ironman athlete training for the 70.3 Kansas.

I want to get to my ideal body fat % before the race in June the proper way.

Just curious how man YOU all eat per day for fat loss...or weight maintenance?

Currently I eat between 2000-2500 a day depending on my workout loads.

Also-friend me! I'd love having som IM distance mfp friends!

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    My cal intake just went up. I'm in the 2500ish area on a daily basis. Trying to keep my macro split in the 60/20/20 ballpark.
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    I've been eating around 2500-3000 per day for weight loss depending on my training volume.

For me, 1600 and no exercise and I will lose 2 lbs a week, anything I eat above that is to cover training.
  • Snowbunny95
    Snowbunny95 Posts: 47 Member
    1400-1600 for IM 70.3 in Sandusky, OH on Sept. 8. However, I do have quite a bit of weight I still need to lose - at least 35. So training and losing. Hard balance, but will be so worth it!
  • zekerella
    zekerella Posts: 58 Member
    Wow snow bunny that sounds REALLY low. You sure your not starving your body with your training on top of that?

also, scott91501, im curious about your macros - im starting to pay attention to this. why 60/20/20 if you dont mine me asking.

I feel pretty good then with my intake now after reading this. I want to lose about 10-15lbs.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Wow snow bunny that sounds REALLY low. You sure your not starving your body with your training on top of that?

also, scott91501, im curious about your macros - im starting to pay attention to this. why 60/20/20 if you dont mine me asking.

I feel pretty good then with my intake now after reading this. I want to lose about 10-15lbs.

Really what you're looking to do most of the time is 1. Fuel your workouts. This is mostly a carb/glycogen based process. 2. You want to recover from your workouts. During training you will deplete some/all of your glycogen stores and the recovery period after training is ideal because the glycogen upload pathways to the muscle fiber are in overdrive. 3. Most endurance athletes are not looking to build excess muscle (thus the low protein). At least type II muscle. There just aren't a ton of explosive, anaerobic movements which is primarily what this type of muscle is used for. As the saying goes, lighter is faster. This holds true for most AG triathletes. I've seen a few pros, most notably Macca, say they've felt in the past they've been too light going into races, but this is rarely an issue for AGers as we don't train all day and have dieticians at our beckoned call.
  • zekerella
    zekerella Posts: 58 Member
    THANKS SCOTT!

this was extremely helpful!!