Vegan Protein beyond Tofu

Options
CoachReddy
CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
So I managed to eat 3,200 calories today - entirely vegan. I'm not quite ready to go all the way, so I'll probably do something along the lines of weekday veganism to see how it goes and see if I really do see the benefits I'm expecting.

Question is this. I dig tofu, and it works for me, but what other readily available options are there for protein? So far I've got:

Tofu
Beans (but take forever to prepare)
Pea Protein powder
Nuts
Quinoa

Anything else? Thanks!

Replies

• thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    a lot of breads, soy products, tvp and things made with tvp, canned beans, lentils, some faux cheeses, nuts, nut butters
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    if you start with dry beans, make big batches at once. you can freeze them if you have to.

also, starchy vegetables like potatoes, corn, peas, lima beans (legume?) have a lot of protein. Things like nutritional yeast, chia seed, flaxseed, wheat bran, oats, etc
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Tempeh, seitan, cous cous, spinach,
  • ClaireTrev
    Options
    Brown Rice protein powder! Sun Warrior. It's the best.

What about other cereals - amaranth has lots of protein. Even Oats have quite a bit.

Seeds - pumpkin seeds are high protein. sunflower, chia and linseed are all great too.

Broccoli has quite a bit of protein in it!

Other soy products - edamame, Tempeh (considered the healthiest soy by many ppl) soy yoghurt

Hemp protein powder (I haven't tried this since I'm happy with Sun Warrior).

I hope this is useful, love to hear how you go! I eat fish and chicken but no red meat and dairy only rarely- maybe once per month, so am always up for vegan meal ideas.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    thanks everyone!

I do love steel cut oats, which - when combined with chia and flaxseeds, gives me a good protein boost in the morning.

I guess I'm just SO programmed into the plate that has ONE protein, a grain/starch carb, and a veggie carb that I'm looking for things to fill the chicken-shaped void. But that's something I'll get over. :)

awesome suggestions all around. and keep 'em coming!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!

I do love steel cut oats, which - when combined with chia and flaxseeds, gives me a good protein boost in the morning.

I guess I'm just SO programmed into the plate that has ONE protein, a grain/starch carb, and a veggie carb that I'm looking for things to fill the chicken-shaped void. But that's something I'll get over. :)

awesome suggestions all around. and keep 'em coming!
    Add a scoop of protein powder to your oatmeal. That's what I do.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Tofu
    Pea Protein powder
    Nuts
    Quinoa

Anything else? Thanks!

Seeds, canned beans, red and yellow lentils cook straight from dry they don't need soaking, wheatgerm, soy 'dairy'. Also consider your sources of minerals, some you will easily consume more of others you may well have to watch such as calcium and iron due to bioavailability.
  • thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i dont worry about protein its a bit overrated. as long as your getting your calories your protein will be fine i normally eat 3k+ calories the staples in my diet are bananas, dates, yams, and rice my protein can be anywhere from 40g-100g i worry about getting to much i dont like going over 80gs a day. i follow lowfat vegan diet mix between dr Mcdougall & dr doug graham 80/10/10 diet. my dairy is open didnt post the weekend cause i wasnt home
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    beans in pressure cooker --20 mins.
    dry to ready 20 mins.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Tofu
    Pea Protein powder
    Nuts
    Quinoa

Anything else? Thanks!

Seeds, canned beans, red and yellow lentils cook straight from dry they don't need soaking, wheatgerm, soy 'dairy'. Also consider your sources of minerals, some you will easily consume more of others you may well have to watch such as calcium and iron due to bioavailability.

apparently seaweeds have the highest amount of calcium/iron of all plants on earth, and actually have even more than milk. quite interesting stuff. also almond milk has more calcium than milk too. not worried about that one quite so much. but thanks for the other tips!