why am I not losing

Options
I have been trying to eat 1200 calories as recommended by mfp . I tend not to go over but I'm no deficit t losing. surely if Im eating a 500 calorie deficit then surely I should be losing? any exercise on top is a bonus?

Replies

• Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without seeing your diary and understanding your lifestyle. Your profile says that you have 62 pounds to lose but the third pic on your profile shows that you're already pretty fit.

If you're close to goal it is much, much tougher to lose pounds based solely on calorie intake. I've found that MFP is not the best for the last 20 pounds. I use it more to force myself to keep track of my nutrition but I follow different targets than the ones set by the site.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Actually, the 3d pic really looks like 0 pounds to lose, doesn't it?

Maybe your body does not want to comply any more to what you are forcing on it...
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree it's difficult to see what could be the problem if we can't see your diary.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    Sorry i didnt realise diary was unavilable. how do i unlock.

My meals today are as follow :

Breakdast : Porridge made up with water
    Lunch : Tuna and philadelpha on a bed on mixed lettuce leaves, some picked onions and a sprinkle of mozarella
    Tea : Quorn Mince & gracy, with broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower, a very small portion of potato, swede and carrot mash.
    Snack : 1 banana and a handful of grapes (!mid morning 1 mid afternoon).

I only drink water now so no teas / coffee etc

ps this is a typical diary.... i tend to have either porridge or bran flakes for breakfast (alternative days)
    Lunch is either Vegetable based soup (no bread) or the tuna and lettuce (without the picked onion, cheese etC).
    Tea is normally some form of meat ie beef, chicked and veg, normally no potatoes as im trying to cut down as my previous life all i ate was potatoes.
    Options
    Oh and the 3rd pic (when i look my best) is HOW i want to be again not as i am. if that makes sense. This was taken about 3 years ago when I was pregnant. I put on two stone with baby but due to me being off work and not working 2 jobs i just piled on weight due to sitting about... so im not 4 stone heavier than i was in that pic. Hence the 50lb weightloss, although im not fussed if i dont get 50lb just to look good and feel good again

Hope that makes sense x
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    It would be very hard to even try to give you good advice without more info so your BMR and TDEE can be calculated. As MFP has you set up at 1200 calories you may have it set to loose to much weight to fast or have your activity level inaccurete. Your caloric deficiet may be to high for you to eat at least your BMR. You should be above your BMR but below your TDEE.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You are not eating a balanced diet - you can't get all the nutrients you need for health, for a strong metabolism and to repair and refuel after exercise from protein once a day, carbs once a day, fruit and vegetables. Where is the reduced fat dairy, healthy fats (oily fish, nuts, seeds etc), mineral and fibre rich foods (beans, lentils, nuts, seeds)? Remember dieting and exercising can stress the body out and increase the need for all nutrients, it's tough to cram them into 1200 calories and impossible if you start eliminating multiple food groups. If you cut carbs you must increase protein and fats, if you cut fats you must increase protein and carbs plus consider how you are going to get essential fatty acids.

Aim to eat nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours (blue/ purple, dark green, red, yellow, orange) - bananas are healthy but not that nutrient dense and packed with carbs, you could eat all nine servings for the same carbs. Be sure to have bright and dark colours, limit white or pale coloured produce. Consider sweet potato or chick pea (garbanzo bean) or lentil mash instead of potato for more nutrients.

Three servings of reduced fat dairy: calcium is not just important for bones but also muscle contraction and has been linked with lower body fat in studies, oily fish regularly for omega-3s, vitamins D and B12 all of which your diet looks low in. Switch your canned tuna for canned sardines, mackerel or salmon. If you eat the crumbly bones you get some calcium and a little magnesium. Quorn is fine IF you are eating other animal products through the day (dairy, eggs, meat, fish).

Protein and healthy fats little and often all day from breakfast - these help slow the digestion and absorption of carbs and are important for health including maintaining muscle mass when dieting, repair after exercise. There is little to no protein or fats in your breakfast, soup or snacks. Chicken breast is not particularly nutritious, dark meats, organ meats, oily fish and other seafood tend to be better. Consider your intake of haem iron, zinc, magnesium and so on.

By all means cut down on starchy carbs like wholegrains. beans and lentils but you must then substantially increase your intake of nuts and seeds to get the same minerals and fibre, don't underestimate how much is needed and be aware there is wide variation in the nutrients supplied by different nuts and seeds. Pumpkin, ground flax and chia are particularly good. If you are thinking about the calories then you have hit the nail on the head, this is the problem with eliminating food groups/ restrictive diets, you have to regiment what you eat not simply select what you enjoy or what is low calorie.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating gross on average?

What is your height and weight?

How accurately do you weigh, measure and log your food?

How active are you in the day and what does your exercise comprise of and how often?

What has been your weight loss/gain over the last month?
    Options
    How much are you eating gross on average?

What is your height and weight?

How accurately do you weigh, measure and log your food?

How active are you in the day and what does your exercise comprise of and how often?

What has been your weight loss/gain over the last month?

As i said this is a pretty normall diary for me So i eat in the range of 1000-1200 calorioes a day.
    Im 5ft 1 and 193 lbs
    Im pretty sedentary (desk job) but have taken up swimming twice a week for an hour and going to increase that to 4
    I have lost 2 lbs since December 26th when i properly started watching.

When i log food i always measure too much. ie if i eat 30g ill say i ate 40 just to make sure if logging all my calories. and i log everything. I weight my food each night for the following day so its ready to go.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Simply put you are not eating enough. Your calorie deficit is TOO big. According to your stats you gave us, you should be eating 1500-1600 cals to lose 1 pound a week if sedentary, 1600-1700 when lightly active to maintain a 500 cal deficit.

See here :
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Plug your information in, and in "goal" weight section enter your current weight to get current TDEE (maintenance) calories. Take 20% off those numbers for your cut to lose weight.

For any more questions go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You can message me anytime for help. I'm sure Dan would be happy to help too when he has time. Good luck!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Find out what your TDEE is and use that to calculate your calorie intake.

What I do is use my tdee-1718 calories- as my diary goal then I exercise or eat less to create the deficit. A calorie is never just a calorie but the general rule is you need -3500 calories to lose a pound of fat.

I would try to exercise more because it will help with your long term goals of keeping it off.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Possibly your calorie intake is too low. 1200 is too low for a lot of people. If you don't eat enough, sometimes your body won't lose as much as it could. It tends not to get enough of the nutrients it needs on so few calories. If your body's not getting it's nutrients and energy, it can't function properly. And if it can't function properly, you can't lose weight. So I would say increase your calorie intake by a couple hundred and don't be so strict about calories; if you eat 30g, record 30g, not 40.

That said, 2lbs is pretty good. You've only been at it for a little over two weeks, and you really shouldn't be losing more than a pound or two a week anyway. It's not healthy.

Your best bet is to go talk to a nutritionist. They'll give a more accurate idea than MFP of how much you should be eating at.
    Options
    Simply put you are not eating enough. Your calorie deficit is TOO big. According to your stats you gave us, you should be eating 1500-1600 cals to lose 1 pound a week if sedentary, 1600-1700 when lightly active to maintain a 500 cal deficit.

See here :
    Plug your information in, and in "goal" weight section enter your current weight to get current TDEE (maintenance) calories. Take 20% off those numbers for your cut to lose weight.

For any more questions go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You can message me anytime for help. I'm sure Dan would be happy to help too when he has time. Good luck!

this is what MFP quoted me? im so confused now ! Lol
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options

MFP is not always right
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

See here :

MFP quoted you that because you probably set your goals to "lose 2 pounds a week" and 1200 is the bare minimum MFP can give you. A 1000 calorie deficit is not right or healthy for everybody unless you are at least 75-100 pounds overweight. If you set your goals to 1 pound-.5 pounds per week MFP will give you much more to eat.

ETA: right now at sedentary, you are burning about 2000 cals. Add in swimming 2x per week, those days you are burning 2200-2300. So take 400-500 of those for a cut and you get 1500-1700 to eat.
    Options

See here :

MFP quoted you that because you probably set your goals to "lose 2 pounds a week" and 1200 is the bare minimum MFP can give you. A 1000 calorie deficit is not right or healthy for everybody unless you are at least 75-100 pounds overweight. If you set your goals to 1 pound-.5 pounds per week MFP will give you much more to eat.

ETA: right now at sedentary, you are burning about 2000 cals. Add in swimming 2x per week, those days you are burning 2200-2300. So take 400-500 of those for a cut and you get 1500-1700 to eat.

So you should only have a deficit at all times of 500 whether that be through food/ exercise or combination?
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So you should only have a deficit at all times of 500 whether that be through food/ exercise or combination?

That is the healthiest way.. yes