Depression, meds and weight gain!

Options
Hi everyone,

Over the last 5 years I've managed to stack on 20kg, through yoyo dieting (low carb stints with great results then falling off the band wagon), inertia and a significant medication regime with "weight gain" a common side effect.

I am determined to get back to a happier, healthier me and would love to find some buddies with a similar goal.

Replies

• dajohn0v
    Options
    Hi, I know exactly what you. Mean about the depression and the medication regime with weight gain as a major side effect. And you are right its our time to get to where we want to be!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Having recovered from depression I can tell you the same healthy habits that help you lose weight will also have a significant positive effect on the condition, i.e. eating healthily, exercising (ideally outside in daylight) and getting sufficient, regular sleep. They are all self-supporting too, so for instance you 'll sleep better with regular exercise and

Follow MFP as designed, don't get sidelined by fad diets, work out an exercise routine that you enjoy, rather than a punishing one, get outside as often as you can and eat back a good proportion of your exercise calories and you'll be golden :flowerforyou:
  • RubyRose106
    Options
    Thank you ladies,

Always reassuring to know you're not alone :smile:

I hope you both do well on this program and make 2013 your year!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Put some photos of your highest weight on your fridge. When you are tempted to eat more than your calories allowance, remind yourself that you do not want to go there again.

Every pound you lose is increasing your life expectancy.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Having recovered from depression I can tell you the same healthy habits that help you lose weight will also have a significant positive effect on the condition, i.e. eating healthily, exercising (ideally outside in daylight) and getting sufficient, regular sleep. They are all self-supporting too, so for instance you 'll sleep better with regular exercise and

I agree with this totally. I have PTSD and also have had depression. Personally I find that really strenuous exercise has a big effect on my mental health for the better.

Regards weight gain from meds, depending on what it is either it's slowing your metabolism a bit or increasing your appetite. If you are careful about tracking your food intake and staying within your calories, you will be able to lose weight in spite of the medication. It's all about calories in and calories out. There's a thread on here "in place of a road map" which tells you how to calculate the right amount of calories for healthy fat loss, I don't have a link to it but if you search on "in place of a road map" you should be able to find it. I recommend that. BTW I used a similar method to that outlined in the road map thread and I am currently maintaining my weight without too much effort.

Another thing, personally I can't do low carb dieting at all, it totally messes with my head and makes all the mental health problems worse, my brain clearly needs a certain amount of carbohydrate. Anyone who has mental health issues IMO should be aware of that, doesn't mean you'll have the same thing happen, because we're all different, but something to be aware of. I eat lots of protein and a moderate amount of healthy carbs and healthy fats. Plus tracking my calories to lose the fat (now I'm maintaining I'm not actually tracking, but I needed to to lose the fat in the first place)
  • RubyRose106
    Options
    Thank you!!!