Vegetarians/Vegans

Options

Replies

• asglovesdaisy
    Options
    my whole family and i became vegetarians one year ago. and let me tell you that before i became a vegetarian i never had energy , NEVER i could not wake up at all without coffee, i was sluggish and very depressed. but now one year later i feel amazing! i wake up with so much energy and its not that just woke up burst of energy its consistant all till the end of the day, my depression is significantly less and my mom lost 40 pounds and is off a lot of her medication. going out to eat is harder, lesser options, but most restaurants are willing to adjust to you . and they are healthier options.my brother is a vegan , but boy has it been hard, even for me just seeing him struggle, but its worth the sacrifices because we all feel healthy .

hope this helps
  • morganfox5
    Options
    I just recently became a personal trainer (the course didn’t have a huge nutritional background- you had to take another course to get that training), and one of my clients wanted to go vegetarian and asked me questions about it... then I realized I honestly couldn’t offer up any information other than what we both could find on Google. I decided I would give it a try to see what the health benefits were for me, what I found hard/easy, recipes I enjoyed- in short, I wanted to become more educated on the subject as a whole. So January 1st (I don’t want to call it a resolution, I just wanted to start at the beginning of a month and that was the next month) I started not eating meat- I’d still have eggs and dairy and fish, I just cut the meat out. Then I started watching documentaries like:
    Food, Inc.
    Hungry for Change
    Vegucated (my favourite one)
    After watching Vegucated I was completely taken aback one how animals are treated, I felt like I finally knew the ‘behind the scenes’ stuff that obviously they don’t put out in the public so people don’t ask questions. After watching the documentaries I felt some sort of calling- I was so interested in the subject I wanted to learn more. Today I am going to the local library to get books on the topic and the more and more I think about it I strongly feel like going the vegan route because I feel it is right, for many reasons; not only the health benefits but it makes me sick how animals are actually treated. I think of it as if I wouldn’t eat one of my dogs (and I have 4, some I rescued) why would I eat another animal. That is my reason.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have been for 9-ish years (minus a few hiccups in the beginning). I'm living proof that just because someone doesn't eat meat, doesn't mean that they are going to be skinny/thinner :tongue: Currently, I'm almost 100 lbs overweight. I lost 35 lbs in the beginning of being vegetarian, but it eventually steadied out to around what I am right now, which is where my weight has been stuck at for pretty much the whole time.

I went vegan once for a few months and during that time I lost 30 lbs, but I don't contribute all that weight loss to veganism; I didn't know what I could eat as a vegan since so many of my usual foods were off-limits and I was too lazy to spend time cooking healthy foods for me to eat so, I barely ate anything at all. I probably ate under 1,000 calories a day. I also felt really stressed while I was vegan because I wanted to eat more and when my family and I went out to dinner (which, at the time, was once a week), I couldn't find anything on the menu I could have at most places so, I ate fries a lot. I regained the 30 lbs I lost fairly quickly once going back to vegetarianism.

I do just fine as a vegetarian, there's many more options for food and I don't feel stressed or deprived at all with this way of eating. I originally became vegetarian for the animal rights thing, but I researched the health benefits and now that's probably the main factor for me now. Heart disease runs rampant on both sides of my family and vegetarians are at much lower risk and that makes me feel a lot safer for my future... of course, I'll feel even better once this fat comes off and I can truly be a healthy individual.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I went to vegan a few months ago, with a slight difference, I eat fish and egg whites. I suffer from ms and the diet has been designed to help with the symptoms. I feel so much healthier, and I look healthier too. My skin is glowing!

:huh: .....yeah.....that's not vegetarian or vegan

I've been vegetarian since I was 10 years old. Don't like the taste or texture of meat and as I grew up I just can't bare the thought of eating dead things. Just not for me. Oh and I don't eat fish for the same reasons...its a dead animal, texture and taste not for me.
    I'm not vegan but I don't drink milk - due to watching a programme (back last May) which showed 2 male newborn calves being put down simply because they are surplus to the dairy industry. Personally I don't want to be part of that chain.
  • morganfox5
    Options
    P.S
    Thanks everyone for all the info! I really appreciate it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend to if you like!
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Watched Hungry for a Change, Forks Over Knives, and Vegucated...... damn Netflix!! Got me thinking and today im starting a vegan diet. the info on how animal proteins inflame ancerous cells blew me away. especially with all the studies they had. my mom is diabetic and my father had cancer and passed away a few years ago. this opened my eyes and its worth a trying out.
  • morganfox5
    Options
    I'm going to have to check out Forks Over Knives- seems like it might be a good one!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There are no special foods that you have to consume as a vegan. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, root veggies, grains, nuts, seeds, etc. are all foods that you can find in any small town grocery store. Vitamin B12 you can find in a fortified soy milk or with the vitamins at your grocer/pharmacy. If you live in the US, there are also plenty of specialty foods that you can order from Amazon or other online retailers. But you don't need them. There were vegetarians long before there were commercial veggie burgers.

The foods I had for breakfast were buckwheat porridge (I can't eat grains, I'm sure your grocer would have oatmeal, cream of wheat, and cornmeal), as well as some leftover potato chowder and veggies. Eating lunch right now: potato, green peas, california veggies, and beans with guacamole. Nothing weird or special about that. I can't eat most commercial processed vegan meat analogues, because of gluten/grains, which is probably a good thing. Better off making my own from scratch. Even with my other dietary restrictions (grain free, allergic to some nuts, other allergies & intolerances) it is still possible to eat very well -- now I just gotta kick these pounds I gained over the holidays with being sick in bed and then making too many nice treats!
    Thanks! I live in a super small town- so I'm worried I wont have access to enough vegan foods to be able to do it!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to check out Forks Over Knives- seems like it might be a good one!
    Forks over knives is a good one along with hungry for a change and vegucated as mentioned about, all 3 are real eye openers
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I watched this documentary called "Vegucated" and I cannot touch chicken. beef, or pork again.

Good luck with everything! I hope it works out for you. I must say that since I switched, I feel better than I have in years.

I have actually just watched this documentary yesterday night...needless to say - I am contemplating the switch. I pretty much plan to do the "lacto-ovo-vegetarian" lifestyle. Though I am not even really a fan of milk anyway, I might try to cut out dairy as well. This is a great thread, and I am excited to hear more - I love animals.
  • Paige_me
    Paige_me Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just started my veggie journey, keep sharing please! :)
  • oDapho
    oDapho Posts: 50
    Options
    I decided to become a vegetarian because one day something just clicked: every bit of meat I've ever eaten was an animal, with a face and feelings. It absolutely disgusted me because I relate so well to animals. Every time I tried to eat meat after that it felt too wrong, so I stopped. I craved meat for the first few months, but it's been over 2 years now and I don't crave it at all. I can't even eat imitation soy meat without being grossed out. I mainly eat tofu, beans, and nuts for my protein now, and I feel pretty healthy. Good luck.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I went Vegan for 2 months and got horribly sick. Found out I was slightly allergic to Soy. Guess its A+ for effort and F for genetics.
  • bellinghamreynolds
    Options
    Vegan for nearly 3 years - did it mainly for health reasons.

A couple a great starter videos on subject: Forks Over Knives and Vegucated. Also, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead made me a juicing convert a couple of weeks ago. The different in how I feel is stunning and the weight loss is unbeatable.
  • lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian because I was the cook of the house and I was sick of making two separate meals since two of my sisters are vegetarian. I kind of gradually phased meat out before I realized, hey I haven't had meat in a while maybe I should keep going. So it was a really smooth transition, and I can honestly say I haven't been tempted since.

I don't eat fish, mostly because I'm slightly allergic, and I don't drink milk because I'm slightly lactose intolerant, and I don't eat eggs by themselves because they taste yucky, but i'm getting over that. I guess you could say I'm a picky eater haha.

I attribute most of my weight loss to vegetarianism, as well as my improved mood and energy. I agree that it gives me a "clean" feeling inside, mostly from the increase in fruits and veggies. It completely changed my eating habits and tastes, to the point where I couldn't eat fried or greasy food because it reminded me too much of meat.

I guess the hardest part of vegetarianism for me hasn't been personal at all, it's been dealing with the constant questions/ridicule from other people, because you really do start to hear the same things over and over and over again. What's the difference between vegetarian and vegan? You can eat chicken, right? Aren't you dying of protein deficiency? What would you do if you got lost in the wilderness? Can I eat this burger in front of you? Can I wave this burger in your face and try to convert you back?

I feel like I sound like a broken record all the time, but you learn to shorten your opinions and beliefs and health facts into short sound bites so you don't sound preachy or stuck up. It would be so much easier to just tell people I'm allergic to meat though!!!
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian (meaning I don't eat meat or seafood, but consume dairy and egg products), and have been that most of my life. The "meatiest" thing I've ever ate was bacon and chicken nuggets back in the 90's, and that's processed crap. When I was little, I went to a pig roast, which is how I learned where "meat" comes from- animals! Needless to say, that pretty much...traumatized me lol. Just don't like the thought of eating animals.
  • saroknight
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 4 1/2 years now and have been transitioning to becoming fully vegan. I went veggie when I was 16 - not thinking that I would stick with it forever however over time it just became second nature. The thought of eating meat or fish really grosses me out now - where as before I used to love eating steaks and sushi..

If you stick with it you will find that it is a lovely way of living - it makes you more aware of what you are eating and how it is effecting both your body and the world around you.

As for being vegan in a small town it can be a little tricky but it is completely doable - just remember when you are going out for a meal you can ask to alter what is on the menu to suit your needs. For example you can ask for a balsamic / olive oil dressing to drizzle on top of a salad as opposed to a thousand island or ranch dressing.

Check out to see what type of meat, milk and dairy alternatives are at your grocer. Scrambled tofu with bok choy, green onions, mushrooms and a little soy sauce is a really yummy lunch for me :)

I also love to make oatmeal with berries and a spoonful of almond yogurt on top for breakfast (you could also opt for mixing in a soy, almond, or coconut milk if you prefer)

Hope your journey to veggie/veganism is going well :)
    -Sar
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: 33 yrs & counting!!!!! no red meat!!!!- sry I do eat chicken & fish-When I started I didnt eat chicken or fish!!! that was hard-& fattening!!!-lots of cheese& bean nachos-etc....This world has come along way since then....My reasons are purely ethical, gotta love the 4 legged friends!!!! hope this helps:)
  • SarahR77777
    Options
    I have been Vegan for just over 1 year. I was previously a Vegetarian for 25 years. I became Vegan purely for ethical reasons as the cruelty animals have to suffer to become peoples food is horrendous. I had been wanting to make the change to Vegan for many years but family and outside influences stopped me. However last January the 1st I decided it was the time to go for it and do what I believe in! I do not use or consume any animal products and live a 100% vegan lifestyle. It is incredibly hard to start with and will take at least 3 to 4 weeks to adjust. I had huge cravings for macaroni and cheese!! Vegans can eat very well and a plant based diet is very healthy. I have found that restaurants in the UK will make a Vegan alternative but I do not eat out as much as I used to as you can't be 100% sure of what restaurants use! I have never felt more healthy and my change to a vegan diet coupled with exercise has helped me loose around 7 stone in the last year. Now I just need to muscle up lol!

I would recommend making the change however you do have to be 100% determined and know that it is a huge change and it will be difficult.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just need to quickly get this off my chest....

If you eat chicken, fish or seafood....you are not vegetarian.
    If you eat cheese, butter, eggs.... you are not vegan.

/end
    :flowerforyou: