20-somethings!

Options
Hi All,

I'm new to MFP - or at least at being committed to logging in every day. Looking for fellow members in their twenties to help with a bit of mutual motivation.

A little bit about me, I'm looking to loose about 20 pounds. It's not a massive amount but I know it will make a massive difference to my life. I've spent two years buying clothes in a smaller size, promising myself that I will fit into them soon. Well thinking about myself in that way only made things worse and I would comfort eat. Add that to a job in confectionery and a boyfriend who has to eat an entire bag of mixed nuts (healthy and high calorie) every day on top of his normal diet just to stay at a healthy weight and I was putting on weight fast. I've fortunately got a new job now and I'm feeling positive about the journey ahead. My other half is supportive, he's noticed my self confidence fall as he's known me and is ready to help in any way he can with getting in control of my figure.

Would be awesome to have some like-minded people as friends on here. I love to hear other peoples stories about what has motivated them to change their life.

Also searching for awesome low calorie Thai dishes - noodle broths and pad Thai (if such a thing exists!)

Jade xox

Replies

• SluppyB
    SluppyB Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi! You can definitely do this! I can only imagine how much weight I would have put on working in confectionery, so well done on getting out of there! You will definitely get your self confidence back soon, I'm sure of it :)

Cx
  • JDAlder
    JDAlder Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great site and you don't have to look very far to find a strong supporting cast. Whether the weight loss is massive or small, everyone here has a goal they want to achieve. Just remember to not get bogged down with "off" days and to stay motivated. Good luck!
  • janedowney
    Options
    Hi Jade,

You sound like you are in a similar situation to me so please feel free to add me as a friend.

I am also trying to loose another 20lbs but I really think I will do it this year, I am feeling really motivated so far & I've already done it once so I can do it again!

I have to say we are both really lucky having supportive boyfriends! I read so many posts on here about partners making it difficult eating the wrong things in front of people trying so hard, it's such a shame. My other half is really into eating healthy & loves the gym so it's like having my very own personal trainer when I occasionally feel like going off the rails.

I think as long as we want it & set ourselves realistic goals we can do it!

We plan to travel Australia for a year starting Feb 2014 & I am NOT going this fat so it's a case of having no choice but to get back on it!

Good luck!

Jane x
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking to lose about 20lbs too...my clothes had been slowly getting tighter and I don't really want to have to get a new wardrobe! Happily I've been very gently losing weight since I joined MFP.

I like tom yum soup, it's really easy to make if you can get tom yum stock cubes or paste (Mae Ploy is good). Boil it with some stock or water, veg, meat and you can have it with noodles, rice or on its own. Depending on what stock cubes or paste you get you might have to add garlic, shallots/onions, chillies, kaffir lime leaves, galangal and lemongrass - I get kaffir lime leaves, galangal and lemongrass frozen or freeze dried, or buy them when I see them and stick them in the freezer. I'm Southeast Asian and have a ton of recipes from the region if you're interested.
  • jadelucywatson1
    jadelucywatson1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ohh, sounds lovely! I really find that spicy food helps when I'm dieting because I can't eat it too quickly so can recognise when I'm full. I'd love some recipes, thanks!
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Very Easy Indonesian-style Crockpot Chicken (serves 4):

1 red onion, 2 sticks lemongrass, chillies (I use 10 bird's eye chillies but this makes it really hot), 1 tbsp shrimp paste -> blend.

Put 4 chicken breasts and the blended paste in crockpot. Add ground white pepper and 1 tsp coriander powder.
    Put in a 400ml tin of coconut milk.
    Turn on crockpot.

Towards the end add green beans/runner beans/other veg, and pop the lid open to thicken the gravy a bit.

Have with rice.
  • emzerkate
    emzerkate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Reading ur first post literally sounded like I wrote it.. 20lbs to lose just to get to where I know I should be..
    I've clothes in my wardrobe that I refuse to throw out because I am determined to wear them again..
    Friend add on its way..