low cal protein shake for women?

Options
I've been stuck at about ten stone for about 4 months now. I started adding weight training 3 times a week for 30 mins in December. I am defiantly looking more toned. I don't eat back my exercises calories but I upped them from 1200 to around 1500 a few months ago and maintained. I'm thinking off adding protein shakes to help me tone up more and shift the last half stone. This would add calories to so i would be eating some back. But I have no clue what I should be taking, wether they're instead or aswel as food? And where to start basically. Any advice appreciated :)

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    There's a few protein shakes that advertise directly to woman, but that's BS.
    Whey protein is whey protein.
    I gave my sister some protein powder recently, and she's just taking the same as me, albeit at half the quantity.

There's going to be calories involved however you look at it... But they are good calories :)
    I usually take mine with a 50/50 mix of water and milk, and i don't mind the extra cal's i get from the milk.

I currently buy from MyProtein, but used to buy a lot of maximuscle. I think the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey is pretty popular in the States.

Some people take them as meal replacements, but i usually incorporate them into my breakfast (after working out) and have one by itself before bed.
  • emelypoynter
    Options
    I use PURE whey from this website (www.strongerfasterhealthier.com) it's about 140 calories per scoop. GREAT protein! Derived from Grass-Fed beef, no metals, very easy on the stomach. I am a fan of the Pure because I know what else I'm adding. There are also Pre-/Post-/Recovery/Daily Balance versions of the protein. Also, I have used GNC amplifide wheybolic protein that is 90 calories per scoop (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3509954). Both taste pretty good! Hope this helps!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Protein has calories same as fat and carbs, so if it's low cal it will be low protein which is rather pointless. Women don't need a special product that is marketing just get a basic whey isolate with no added sugars and moderate your serving. Protein powders are a supplement, a convenience product good for use when you cannot get a meal or snack or for adding to smoothies. They won't help you 'tone' up or lose bodyfat, intense exercise plus a balanced nutritious diet achieves that.

Looking at your diary you are not eating the recommended amount of fat or protein nor a balance of all the food groups, you are eating way more than maximum 10% of daily calories as sugary/ processed/ refined rubbish. I don't see seven to nine servings of fruit and veg, three servings of reduced fat dairy a day, oily fish regularly, fibre and mineral rich foods just white carbs. Forget the protein powder, work on simple healthy eating.
  • esteeetee
    Options
    Thanks. Will check them out xx
  • esteeetee
    Options
    Yeh have been eating crap over xmas, only got back in the gym properly today. Sugar will always be in my life I'm afraid!
  • djstar164
    Options
    Hi - I am using Muscle Milk - two scoops with water, after a training session. (One scoop is 155 calories). It tastes amazing. I have tried the Mocha Latte and the Chocolate Cookie Dough. I have tried other protien shakes and this one has the best taste. Head into a Health and Nutrition shop and talk to the staff instead of stairing at the boxes on the shelf at the supermarket. Although they may cost more, it is well worth it in the end for taste and nutrition. G'luck. :)
  • esteeetee
    Options
    Ty x
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've done okay with the designer whey shakes which are about 100 cal. Don't bother with the powder, it is super nasty compared to the shakes.

GNC Lean Shake 25 is really good in the powder form and since the recipe calls for two scoops, you can always make yourself a half size portion which is around 100 cal too.
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have just started to use Maxitone definity. I mix it with water at 120 cals or if I have a major workout I make it with skimmed milk and throw in some fruit and have it as a smoothie - which does mean more cals but I dont worry to much about that.
  • NHLeah
    NHLeah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is available when you are but I discovered Fit Frappe by Big Train. I will use that occasionally after I have burned a lot of calories working out and need to get more protein in. It has 65 calories for an 8 oz serving with 10 grams protein. It comes in 5 different flavors, I currently have mocha. I got mine thru Amazon.com.
  • koyangi
    koyangi Posts: 14
    Options
    I do strength training and martial arts and started taking casien before I went to bed after the martial arts sessions. It is a slower absorbing protein and by the time I wake up in the morning I don't feel quite as "beat up". My bladder also produces more that would seem physically possible in the morning but I am told that is the byproduct of th the protein working.
    Agree with what everyone else said about the whey protien directly before/after working out. I usually have my exercise calories in the form of protien beverage of some sort (shake/smoothie/water mix).
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are intended to supplement your protein intake to help meet your macros. If you can meet your macros with 'real' food you do not need them. They will not help you 'tone'. Building muscle comes from eating at a calorie surplus and training hard.

A simple whey protein will do the job in the above situation. They are not designed specifically for either men or women.

If you are looking for a meal replacement to have instead of solid food in order to lose weight then that's something different.
  • esteeetee
    Options
    No I want real food. Myboyfriend said I should up my protein if im lifting. But I want to tone, not build. So wasn't sure what shakes I needed n wether his would work for me without turning me into Jodie Marsh!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    "There is no firming or toning, only stronger or weaker."

You don't want to look like Jodie Marsh.... but to do so you'd have to radically change your diet,spend hours each day down the gym and start taking some crazy supplements.

It's a bit lengthy, but read this : http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    Not suggesting you aim to be a powerlifter, but it should give you an idea.