Changing exercise = changing appetite?

Options
hmmm... so much conflicting information! Since altering my workouts to include more strength training, I have noticed an increase in my appetite. Now, in past times, using my HRM, I have very small burns when it comes to strength (150 - 200 cals/ hour), wheras cardio would be double that. So why the increased appetite? Is there truth to the 'afterburn'? Any knowledgable people care to advise? Thanks :-)

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    no one?!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hmmm... so much conflicting information! Since altering my workouts to include more strength training, I have noticed an increase in my appetite. Now, in past times, using my HRM, I have very small burns when it comes to strength (150 - 200 cals/ hour), wheras cardio would be double that. So why the increased appetite? Is there truth to the 'afterburn'? Any knowledgable people care to advise? Thanks :-)

i am always STARVING the day after a decent strength training session. and yes, i do believe that 'afterburn' happens. you will probably notice you are losing inches like crazy. i did when i first started, and found my 'maintenance' increased by 200 cals per day!
  • Mailboxhead1
    Options
    You have to consider the goal of lifting weights. I'm pretty sure that when you lift, it breaks your muscles down, and the goal is that when your body repairs them, it repairs them just a bit stronger to be able to handle that load better in the future. The same process takes place with cardio, but the breakdown is obviously not as severe. So even if you aren't burning as many calories during the workout (although I have read that for load bearing exercise, HRM isn't completely accurate), you are requiring more of your body afterwards, and need to eat to fuel that rebuilding process.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks, hadn't thought of it that way. I wish I had some reliable articles to read on the subject!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I am so hungry after weight lifting, it's because it's a different kind of exercise than cardio, when you lift your body is working hard to repair the small tears in your muscles that you created when you did the exercise. It's not a bad thing, it's exactly what your body is supposed to do.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks, hadn't thought of it that way. I wish I had some reliable articles to read on the subject!

you dont need to read articles, just listen to your body and if you are hungry, eat!