Breakfast

Options
I need some breakfast ideas that are around 300 calories, will taste good and leave me feeling full. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Tastes good is a personal thing, what tastes good to me might not work for you but generally fat and sugar make something taste good which doesn't really fit with a healthy 300 calorie meal. Lean protein, fibre, water and to a lesser extent fat cause satiety, but these don't all necessarily taste good.

Smoothies made with protein powder/ low fat soft cheese or cottage cheese, low sugar fruits like berries plus a green vegetable. Vegetable omelette, hot cereal made with milk, jumbo or steel cut oats and ground seeds (especially flax or chia for the fibre), protein pancakes with berries or grapefruit or stewed rhubarb (use sweetener). If you like chocolate purchase some reduced fat unsweetened cocoa powder.
  • Little_Laura_K
    Little_Laura_K Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like to keep things simple and did research the other night but couldn't find anything for on the go.

So my new breakfast is going to be, trying to keep it simple/balanced:

Scrambled egg with veggies, seeds with brown rice and herbs to taste but no salt
    +
    Banana
    Tea

If anyone has any other ideas on the above please let me know I may need to add in oats but I'm not sure

Laura
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I try and keep breakfast under 300 calories. My diary is open (I don't log weekends) if you want to poke around but some favorites of mine that I find to be super filling, as a mix of protein and carbs does the trick for me, are:

One egg (70 cal), ½ ounce of sharp cheddar (60 cal), on a wheat English muffin (140 cal) = 270 cal
    Same as above on a toasted deli thin (100 cal) is 230 calories

Bowl of old fashioned rolled oats with a touch of real maple syrup for sweetness, a little milk, and whatever add-ins I want: fresh fruit, raisins, cinnamon, etc. usually comes in at 250/bowl unless I add nuts to it.

Fage 0% Greek yogurt (100 cal) with granola mixed in (granola can be high calories/fat so be careful, I make my own) and fruit usually ends up just under 300 calories.

Lastly, I make a crustless quiche in a glass pie plate, cut it into 8 wedges and use it as a quick heat and eat breakfast: Whisk 8 eggs and a splash of water. Stir in whatever cooked veg you like. Add 1.5 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. It will get huge and puffy, then settle back down. This week I made broccoli and cheese, and each wedge is 90-odd calories. Sometimes I eat one wedge and a piece of toast or sometimes I just eat 2 wedges.
  • MuddieMae
    Options
    Fage 0% Greek yogurt (100 cal) with granola mixed in (granola can be high calories/fat so be careful, I make my own) and fruit usually ends up just under 300 calories.

This is what I eat practically every weekday, with nuts and a little honey. The nuts provide more protein and are salted which I like. And yes, I jacked the recipe from Starbucks. :)
  • crjohnston12
    crjohnston12 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi Go-Lean High Fiber Cereal (1-cup = 140 cal) w/ a cup of Vanilla Soy Milk (1-cup = 100 cal). It seems to be the only cereal that sticks with me. Other cereals seem to make me hungry after just an hour or so.

My brother insists that you can throw a couple of scrambled eggs in a mug of sorts, toss it in the microwave w/ a little bit of cheese and cook it for a minute or so and then throw it on a 100 calorie bagel thin or something. Apparently, the eggs "puff" up in the micro and psychologically, it looks like you are eating more than you really are.

Good Luck!!!
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I hope if I get my day off to a healthy start and feel full, it will set me up for a good day!!
  • dielikedisco
    Options
    Lastly, I make a crustless quiche in a glass pie plate, cut it into 8 wedges and use it as a quick heat and eat breakfast: Whisk 8 eggs and a splash of water. Stir in whatever cooked veg you like. Add 1.5 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. It will get huge and puffy, then settle back down. This week I made broccoli and cheese, and each wedge is 90-odd calories. Sometimes I eat one wedge and a piece of toast or sometimes I just eat 2 wedges.

I have got to try this. What veggies do you use other than broccoli?