Couch to 5K

Options
I just registered for my first 5K. It's the Color Run in May so I've got a little over 3 months to prepare myself. I'm starting with this because it's not a race, it's just fun. Plus I need as much motivation as I can get and I think this will help. Having a goal that isn't scale related makes me a little more relaxed in this life change of mine. Every time I look at the scale I freak out because it's not going down fast enough. Okay enough of that...has anyone ever done the couch to 5K? Did you like it? Would you change it or do something different instead? I'm just wondering what my best options are to prepare.

Replies

• Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did a couch to 5k plan in Sept-Dec last year, and really enjoyed it. Since completing it, I've done some work on increasing my speed, but since that meant my stamina decreased, I'm now repeating weeks 6-9 but trying to keep the speed up. I thought it was a great plan - hey, anything that could get me from *never* running, to voluntarily going out for 30 mins three times a week has to be pretty miraculous!

Enjoy it - and I envy you the colour run. No such thing around here! :(
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Love it! It is a great program. I started running about 2 years ago and started with that and did a bunch of 5Ks, a 10K and a half. I have struggled with some injuries here and there and always use it to ease myself back into running. Good luck!
  • FitChimi
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting the couch to 5k next week! I've heard really good things about it.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25K program last Friday and so far I'm actually enjoying it. I used to hate running, but that was when I had a PE teacher yelling at me to run the whole time. Now I'm at my own pace. And inside where it's warm and dry and sans-wind. Haha!

Anyways, my first day, W1D1 of C25K sucked. I only did 1.5mi with 0% incline on the treadmill and I felt like I was going to puke. I did W2D2 earlier and did 2.25mi with 1% incline. I just signed up for a 5K that will be on March 30. I'm hoping this program really gets me primed for it and I can finish without walking too much.

Feel free to add me!
  • Scalvak
    Scalvak Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started from never running and did the C25K, only I used this: http://runningintoshape.com/. There were days I thought I was going to die, repeated Week 4 once (for 6 days total), and cursed "Carli" (the woman who made the podcast) regularly, but I finished it. I run all the time now, and love it!
  • Dutchessmla
    Dutchessmla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 2 of the couch to 5K - enjoying it very much
  • mswize
    mswize Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have been considering starting this too. I never enjoyed running so i hope this can change my mind.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I loved it! I ran 5kn on jan 1 and I start 10 km training today with a group. I will still finish the c25k though ( I still have about 5 runs left). I am a bit geeky that way, I like to collect stats on myself.
  • loolabell15
    Options
    I've also considered starting this program. I like doing sprints but hate long distance running. I want to do a 5K this Spring, so I need to start practicing!
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K...I would recommend this program to anyone thinking of taking up running. I had never ran or jogged before in my life. I stuck with it and at the end of each one, I would mentally just keep telling myself ....you can do this. I would jog everyother day. Not just 3 times a week. Sometimes I would redo day 3 of the week. And...Sometimes, I would redo day three on a trail with hills (and thougth I would die...but I pushed myself), which always made day 1 of the next week a little easier. The weather changed and I completed it on a treadmill. Which to me isn't the same. But after making my up to 3.1 miles, I worked on speed. Also...I was doing something 6 days a week....so in addition to my everyother day jog, I do an exercise video...I think this helped. Good Luck...Just know, you can do it!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The c25k program turned me into a runner! I started it almost one year ago, and I'm still running and enjoying it. And I did a color run last fall -it's a blast! Great motivator to keep you on track with c25k.

I used the c25kFREE app by ZenLabs on my phone - worked great, and has the option to play your own music or just go with the voice prompts.
  • Rosannep1
    Rosannep1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm in week six of c25k. It was pretty easy up until now. I've never been a runner and the end of week 6 is becoming quite challenging for me but I'm determined to finish it! Good luck!
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Loved Couch to 5K. I had never been able to run more than a few meters my whole life and this program really helped.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I just registered for my first 5K. It's the Color Run in May so I've got a little over 3 months to prepare myself. I'm starting with this because it's not a race, it's just fun. Plus I need as much motivation as I can get and I think this will help. Having a goal that isn't scale related makes me a little more relaxed in this life change of mine. Every time I look at the scale I freak out because it's not going down fast enough. Okay enough of that...has anyone ever done the couch to 5K? Did you like it? Would you change it or do something different instead? I'm just wondering what my best options are to prepare.

I started c25k in May 2012 and it has changed my life completely. I decided to continue my development into long distance running, but the satisfaction in completing the programme and self validation will reveal to you that you are capable of seemingly impossible things.

Have lots of fun training, and feel free to add me as a friend. good luck on the event, it sounds like lots of fun!

P.s..please get yourself fitted out with appropriate running shoes!
  • janinermt
    Options
    I did a couch to 5km last year....now I run an average 5-10km 3 times a week....you can do it...I am an ex smoker.....it didn't help me lose alot of weight, but I gained a lot of friends doing it and I can leave from my front door and run! Free of charge!
  • candirose69
    Options
    I'm starting the zombie, run! version tomorrow, I'm pretty excited about it :)
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A coworker turned me onto couch to 5k. He and his wife have both lost more than 100 lbs each.

I think it is a great way of getting started and building up. I will caution you that for some people it takes a little longer than others. I had to repeat a week here and there. If you stop for an extended period you might have to start from the begining.

All in all, it's a great plan.
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k last Thursday. When I started I never thought I could make it. But with the encouragement of others on this site I was able to jog a total of 30 minutes at the end of the 9 weeks. Still need to work on my speed as I am slightly under 5k mark. Just so happy that I went from not jogging at all to now be able to ake 30 minutes. It works!
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i started c210k mid november..i just completed week 9 day 1 ...last saturday i decided to run to my brothers..3.49 miles in 40 minutes..."does couch to 10k work" HELL YEAH!!! i cant wait to get to 10k...i never thought i would love to run...but i do ..i really do!!! good luck cant wait to hear about your progress!!
  • jenniferleigh30
    jenniferleigh30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm starting c25k tomorrow! Anyone that wants to keep each other motivated feel free to add me!