Trouble Sleeping with Exercise?

Options
I started exercising this week at the gym (zumba, treadmill, weights). I workout some days from 3:30-4:30 and others from 6-8...I do not have time to go before work. And, I have had trouble sleeping all week! I feel so much better during the day...just more energy in general, but I can't seem to settle down at night...I've taken melatonin and tylenol PM...neither of which have helped. I only have caffeine from 8am-11am and then I stop, but that's always been my thing.

Any advice? Exercising is the only big change I've made this week.

THANKS!

Replies

• kristibag81
    Options
    anyone? I didn't exercise this weekend and slept fine. Sigh...
  • Grudey
    Grudey Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I have found this to be the case for me as well. Evenings are the only time I can get to the gym and when it comes time to go to sleep I struggle. I lie awake until midnight or so and then struggle to get up in the morning.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I get an initial boost after working out at night, but by 10 pm, I crash.
  • junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I exercise around 2-3 pm and I have the same problem. I come home from work and by the time it is time to go to bed I have so much energy it is hard for me to wind down. Not sure what will help, good luck!! :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with insomnia for some time, but have also found this to be true. Doesn't matter what time I the exercise, it leads to more sleeplessness. Mad frustrating.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. It knocks me out completely! I struggle sleeping without knackering myself out. Which is 4 days out of 7 unfortunately. :(
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Oh, maybe try a late night yoga/Pilates class? I'm always sleepy and relaxed after a class.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Your problem is common, though I don't know a solution for it besides changing to work out in the morning.

I exercise after work, and once I've showered I'm ready to pass out for the night.
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I work out normally from 10-11am and/or 6-8:30 pm. I have been sleeping so much better since I started exercising everyday. I feel so energized that I have to make myself go to bed, but when I turn everything off and settle in - I'm out. Sounds contrary, but maybe go to bed a little earlier and use some transitional quiet time without noise or stimuli to meditate. I read for 30 minutes a night to transition.
  • kristibag81
    Options
    Last night I actually slept!!! I took a Zumba class and had a volleyball game at 9:15pm (good grief at the game time, right?)...I got home right after 10 and took a hot shower...I was out like a light before 11pm!!! That was huge...maybe it was the hot shower? My body probably has no idea what the heck is going on...I've been so lazy since my son was born in 2010...yeah, you read that right...I just got into a rut. The best part is that I have soooooo much more energy during the day now that I'm exercising! YAY! :)