Meal Planning

Options
This is one thing I've been putting off but really know I need to do. I have some questions.

Do you plan a day, week, month? Do you plan out all meals and all snacks? Do you plan a certain number of calories for each meal?

Also, do you plan to have a meal out or do you just work it in your plan when the opportunity arises. Say your spouse comes home and says "lets go out to eat". Or your sister calls and asks to go to lunch. Do you tell them NO because it's not on the plan, or do you go and just make it work?

I'm just curious about the HOW of how people do this. I think that's always been my problem. I've never preplanned dinner even. Because it never fails that I'll set something out to thaw and 1) we'll decide to go out to eat instead or 2) whatever I set out will be the LAST thing I'm in the mood for.

I also know that this is something I need to change in my mind. I need to change the way I think about food. I can't keep living by "what I'm in the mood for". I need to view food as nutrition.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I plan 80% of the time. I usually do the next day's diary the evening before. So tonight, I will figure out what food I have for tomorrow (like what left overs I can take for lunch) and then build the rest of my day around that.

But, I don't stress about the occassional things that come up. I'm not going to miss out on time/meals with family and friends because I need to be rigid about planning. Life is more important than dieting. I just try to make it work - I'll order something reasonable or take a portion home with me. And, if I do go over, I just try to stay within my maintenance calories that day.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I preplan all my meals. I've been preplanning since before my weight loss journey due to being broke, so I had to be careful due to lack of money.

Basically, I just fill in my meal plan at night. I try to meet all my macros with my food choices, but I started by just trying to get enough protein, since that is the most expensive part of my menu.

To speed up the process, save your meals and just add in the whole meal quickly. If your plan is interrupted due to an impromptu invite out to lunch, just look up the menu online and pick something that will be close to your original plan (nutrition wise. Calories, fats, carbs, protein. Don't worry about sodium when dining out, restaurant food is crazy high in sodium. It just can't be helped).

Another option is to invite your friend to join you for lunch, he/she brings his/her own food, you do the same and enjoy the company and not the extra calories.
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan my meals too, but the reason to do is more so I know what to get at the supermarket than to puzzle the calories. And if I have some leftovers, I log it maybe one or two days earlier.
  • lkweber21
    lkweber21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I found that I usually do really well on breakfast and lunch but would go home at night and just eat everything in sight. I started planning my supper meals on Sunday and then I would do my grocery shopping to get everything I need for the week. It helps me immensely to know what I am going to eat each night. I stay on track more and it's less stressful if I don't have to run to the grocery store after work to buy something to make for supper.
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I plan day by day, but it's flexible. And actually I eat lunch always out ( except weekends), becasue I have no time to prepare meals for it ( I get home around 23 and leave at 7 in the morning ).

What I've started to do and I try to be really strict about is - plan my exercises and make sure my net calories are at least above 1200. This means - plan a certain amount of calories for each meal/snack/brunch, etc. and try to stick to that.

Hope this helps :)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is simple or tricky, depending on what you are trying to achieve. For example, if you do lots of exercising, including cardio, say, training for a 10 mile race, then planning can be tricky. I have been struggling myself because I am triathlon training and trying to plan my meals around calories I have not yet burned, but going on my recorded average calories burned from prior year. This is tedious and annoying...and I am not doing well at planning.

If you are just doing light amounts of working out where you are not burning a ton of calories during each session, then planning is pretty simple. I typically eat the same snacks, breakfast and lunch during the work week. So that is easy. I have a library of about 30-40 different meals that I commonly eat, so I added them into MFP (I do this b/c I put in healthier ingredients). I then plan out the upcoming week, usually on Friday or Saturday night. That leaves Sunday for grocery shopping and any cooking prep I can do ahead of time. Now if only I could make the meals based on my estimated calorie burns.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have gotten a pretty good feel for what foods/meals work together and fit nicely into both my calorie and macro goals, so I generally only pre-log (plan) when I'm making changes to my goals or when I'm eating foods that are not part of my typical diet.

I generally plan by the day, but really only care about how the week's numbers turn out. Nothing significant is going to happen on a day-to-day basis, so I put much more emphasis on hitting my weekly numbers.

Eating out isn't a big deal for me. I avoid foods covered in sauces and glazes, so I pretty much end up with fish or chicken or steak with some seasoning, which is pretty easy to log and fit into my goals.

As for "being in the mood" for whatever you set out to thaw... I think some people struggle with that more than others. Personally I'd much rather eat a steak that I'm not in the mood for than throw it away and waste the $9.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I preplan our meals a week at a time. I also complete my food diary the night before (occassionally a day or two before LOL). I usually know at the beginning of the week if we are planning to eat out some night and I preplan that day, but if a coworker invites me out to lunch or I get a surprise "let's go to dinner," I generally say yes and go with it. If it fits in my cals GREAT! If not, oh well, tomorrow is another day and this is a lifestyle change. I'm not going to give up eating out for the rest of my life.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I preplan my meals day by day but am happy to go off the plan if I feel like something naughty..but always try and reach my macros as best I can.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    not a planner
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    We try to do meal planning every Wednesday. We plan for a week. Calories are not really a consideration in the planning. (I have a standard arsenal of recipes that are not high cal, and I introduce stuff occasionally, but I'll typically enter it in the recipe calculator before I cook it if I'm worried it's high cal.)

I just plan dinner, except I'll throw in lunch and breakfast on the weekend. I tend to actually devote time and energy to cooking those 2 meals on the weekends. During the week my lunch is leftovers from the night before, and after I cook supper I'll make a fast breakfast to pack. (My mate fends for himself and makes his own breakfasts and lunches during the week.)

I tend to keep standard snacking items on hand at all times: Greek yogurt, hummus, crackers, tuna, cut up veggies, nuts, etc.

I do try to allow for flexibility in the plan, keeping in mind that restaurants are NOT your friends. I will schedule lunches with friends on the weekends sometimes, and about once a month I get a bit tired and worn out and order Italian take out. It happens. It's just the exception, not the rule.

The important thing is to have some sort of a game plan in place. Every evening I look at the meal plan and defrost the appropriate meat, etc. That way I'm ready to go the next day. Always have SOMETHING in mind that you want to eat that night.

Also, the meal plan produces a grocery list. This keeps you from buying crap when you shop. That saves you money, time, and calories.

(BTW, if you really want guided help with meal planning, check out flylady.net and savingdinner.com. You can actually sign up for a subscription service where you'll get meal plans with accompanying shopping lists for a small fee. I think doing it yourself if probably fine, but if you're really struggling it's probably worth it. Getting your meals under control is important.)
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Planning makes it a lot easier, I plan for the week. The easiest to plan for is breakfast up until dinner because that's just me. So those meals/snacks are absolutely set and consistent calorie wise. Dinner is harder because it's more complex. If you do the work ahead of time it will make it a lot easier to eat within budget. Even though I've planned the overall dinner for the past week I neglected to calculate out how much if it I could eat, so I'd spend 15 minutes after serving the family figuring out what my portion would be, LOL.

When I get caught by the unexpected "let's go out!" I find the best approach to be ordering something obviously healthy and then only eat half of it and take the rest home. Later I can look up the actual nutritional values, plug them in, and know for next time.

Almost all chain restaurants/fast food places have their nutritional information online. If you can, look this up prior to going so that when you get there you know what you're healthy options will be, and how much. My last trip through this I went through all of the fast food places I'd eat at and picked out everything on the menu that fit within my nutritional budget so that anytime I went to one I already knew exactly what I could eat from there.

Also, with snacks like fruit, nuts, etc. I find it best to measure them into ziplocks rather than just eat out of the bag can. Like, get a bag of grapes, then put 100 calories worth in individual bags. When I want to munch just grab a bag, eat it, note it, done.
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    I usually plan my meals for the next day. Sometimes or most of the time it may change, like lastnight it was my hubby's birthday and he wanted to go to this Smorgasbord. I didn't plan for it but knew that we would possibly go out so what I did was made sure that I filled up on veggies first and then started with more healthier choices like baked fish and steamed baby carrots and just a little mac n cheese. We don't eat out that often but whenever my meal plan gets thrown off a bit, I just try to make the best possible choices. It has been working so far. I wish you well.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I plan daily and if plans end up changing (ie. office brings in lunch or forgot my lunch in the fridge) I change my day around what I end up consuming.

Most of the time it actually works for me, I eat at every meal and feel fulfilled while 95% of the time being under on calories for a day.

It depends on what works for you, if things pop up every so often through a week then planning daily might work or if you don't have a lot of change through the week then why not plan a week ahead.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I plan for the week. On Saturday morning, I pull out my recipe folder, figure out what i'd like to make for the week and write up my grocery list based on that. And yes, I plan every meal - breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are usually the same every day so it's just dinner that I have to figure out. This makes calorie planning easier too since they're usually all around the same amount. You can also tweak your favorite recipes to make them a little lighter. Use leaner meats and/or lessen the amount used, lessen the amount of starch (pasta, rice, potato) and bulk the recipe back up with more veg.

Planning can actually help with those last minute decisions. I wouldn't pass up every opportunity to go out for lunch or dinner, especially if you don't go often. But in my house, we get take-out once or twice a week so it's nice when the temptation comes from my Hubs to be able to say "nah, I've got this chicken I need to cook up, we'll have take-out this weekend". I know what you mean about not being in the mood for things too - pork is not my favorite meat but I still won't waste it if it's the only thing that's thawed and ready to cook.

Good luck!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I plan - this helps me at the grocery store (budget wise and not buying extra crap) and during the week and cuts down on the going out to eat.

On Sunday I sit down and plan the menu for the week and post it so there are no surprises for my family - My kids are involved in sports so I usually plan about 3 nights of crock pot meals or will make up some type of dish that I can freeze and easily heat up later in the week.

I cook my breakfasts for the week on Sunday and divide out and I also divide out my snacks - greek yogurt/nuts etc etc - This really helps me with time in the morning before I leave for work and also when I get home in the evening and I have noticed that it definitely helps with the grocery shopping by having a plan I can get in and out of the store faster and I def save money
  • wetsel23
    wetsel23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I preplan my meals a week in advance. This includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. By Saturday the "menu" is made and do my shooping on Saturday mornings. The "menu" is placed on the fridge so everyone knows whats for dinner. The kids actually really enjoy knowing what they are going to eat. When we first started this my husband would say "hey lets go to _____" and I would just let him there is no reason to eat out because we have food. After a while of doing this he quite asking. If we are going to a birthday dinner or whatever you usually know a bit in advance so I just add that to the menu. Before we go to that resteraunt I already know what I am going to order. No need to get tempted by looking at the menu. My husband and I will share a meal because the portion sizes are usually enough for 2 people. For me pre planning is so much easier and less stressful. When you go to the store you know exaclty what you are getting. I also save a lot of money by doing this because there is no mindless shopping and just picking up random things you dont need.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I plan my dinners and have an idea of what I will eat for lunch, breakfast and snacks.

I create a calendar in Publisher and plan dinners for an entire month. I usually plan six dinners per week with one night where everyone is on their own (and this is so that if something does come up - plans with friends, a night out with my husband - I move that night's dinner to the next night). Having pre-portioned servings of chicken breast or salmon in the freezer allows me to throw something together that sixth night if we end up not going out that week.

To plan, I just go through my cookbooks and pick out recipes that make meals under 450 calories and put them on the calendar. I try to put like ingredients together in the same week to save money (so all recipes with cilantro will be made one week). I then make a shopping list for each week. When it comes time to go to the grocery store, I only add things like milk, items for my kids, snacks, etc.

It works very well for me and saves us money, but I am a crazy planner so realize this isn't realistic for everyone. however, it only takes about an hour to plan meals for an entire month, including making weekly shopping lists of ingredients.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Since I work 3rds I eat breakfast at work, lunch in the morning, and dinner at night when I get up. Breakfast is typically the same foods subbing out 1 or 2 things. Total prep being as long as it takes you to toss things in the bag from the fridge. Possibly stirring protein powder into yogurt.

Lunch is almost always eggs and toast. With protein shake / yogurt mix. (post workout).

Dinner I like to cook ahead of time and reheat so I can sleep longer. Typically cook a few nights worth at a time. Like right now, I'm going to go put sweet potatoes in the oven.

I do plan for a typical amount of calories per meal though, 600-700 or so during breakfast, 800 or so for post workout recovery + lunch. Then whatever's left at dinner. Usually amounts to something like "1 chicken breast or 2?" or an extra side.

If the plan goes wrong, like going out for a heavy italian meal wrong... I just go run the next morning or something. Fixed.
  • Clhumpal
    Clhumpal Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do a monthly plan - as much for budget/time management as for health and weight loss. For example, I know that Mondays I drive for swim team practice and we won't be home until at least 7PM, so Monday is crock-pot night - Wednesday we eat supper on the road in between one activity and another, so Tuesday night I know I have to have a portable supper packed for the next evening -

Planning ahead means less trips to the store, so less opportunity to be tempted by impulse-buys (better for health AND budget) -

time management for me is HUGE! - less time in the store, less time rummaging through cupboards, stressing about what's for dinner, better time management - for example - I knew I had time Sunday afternoon, so I put together Monday night's Minestrone (lots of chopping) so it was ready to go for the AM, and made Naan for tonight's chicken gyros - the meat for which is in the crock-pot as we speak - so even though tonight isn't a 'running around like a mom with her head cut off' night, I'll only have 15 minutes dinner-prep, so I might fit in an extra workout (or more likely, and extra couple of loads of laundry, lol)

so, you can use the money and time you save to your benefit - buy a new workout DVD, take a cross-fit class, whatever....

my 'plan' is nothing pinterest-worthy, either - it's usually a calendar-like grid, pencil drawn onto the back of one of my kids' old worksheets, with a meal scribbled into each box - I keep it taped to the inside of the cupboard door just to the right of our fridge :)

HIGHLY recommend making at least a weekly plan.