Flax Pancakes

IndigoElectron
IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
edited September 18 in Recipes
This is my first recipe posted on here, I hope you all like it!

I got the recipe from a South Beach forum, it makes a great breakfast or dessert and feels really indulgent. It's also pretty good for you and quite filling. I like to serve it with fresh berries, low fat plain yogurt and some sugar free maple syrup, but they also go well with bacon and eggs.

I have the recipe saved in 'my meals', if anyone can tell me how to enter it into the database I will do so!

INGREDIENTS (makes 2 pancakes)
3 tbsp ground/milled flax seed
1 large egg
1 tbsp granulated artificial sweetener
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
8 sprays lower calorie cooking oil spray (we have Fry Light in the UK, I believe the US equivalent is called Pam or something like that)

Beat the egg and add the other ingredients (except the spray oil). Allow to sit for a few minutes.

Spray a non-stick pan with the oil (4 sprays for each pancake), add half the mixture and swirl the pan around so it spreads out (don't make it too thin as this makes it difficult to turn the pancake).

Cook for a few minutes on a lowish heat until bubbles appear and the bottom is golden. Flip over with a spatula and cook the other side. Repeat to cook the second pancake.

NUTRITIONAL INFO (each pancake)
Calories 93
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbs 4g
Sugars 0g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Protein 5g
Cholesterol 106mg
Sodium 35mg
Potassium 34mg
Vitamin A 2%
Calcium 3%
Vitamin C 0%
Iron 6%

Replies

• IndigoElectron
    This is my first recipe posted on here, I hope you all like it!

I got the recipe from a South Beach forum, it makes a great breakfast or dessert and feels really indulgent. It's also pretty good for you and quite filling. I like to serve it with fresh berries, low fat plain yogurt and some sugar free maple syrup, but they also go well with bacon and eggs.

I have the recipe saved in 'my meals', if anyone can tell me how to enter it into the database I will do so!

INGREDIENTS (makes 2 pancakes)
    3 tbsp ground/milled flax seed
    1 large egg
    1 tbsp granulated artificial sweetener
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp baking powder
    8 sprays lower calorie cooking oil spray (we have Fry Light in the UK, I believe the US equivalent is called Pam or something like that)

Beat the egg and add the other ingredients (except the spray oil). Allow to sit for a few minutes.

Spray a non-stick pan with the oil (4 sprays for each pancake), add half the mixture and swirl the pan around so it spreads out (don't make it too thin as this makes it difficult to turn the pancake).

Cook for a few minutes on a lowish heat until bubbles appear and the bottom is golden. Flip over with a spatula and cook the other side. Repeat to cook the second pancake.

NUTRITIONAL INFO (each pancake)
    Calories 93
    Total Fat 7g
    Saturated Fat 1g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
    Monounsaturated Fat 2g
    Total Carbs 4g
    Sugars 0g
    Dietary Fiber 3g
    Protein 5g
    Cholesterol 106mg
    Sodium 35mg
    Potassium 34mg
    Vitamin A 2%
    Calcium 3%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 6%
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Great recipe - do you think I could skip the egg? I know that the flax turn gelatenous (I use it as an egg replacement all the time) or is it what holds this all together?? I think so... :ohwell:
  • IndigoElectron
    I've never tried it without the egg but I don't think it would work, and besides, the egg is partly what makes it filling, as it contains protein and fat. I ate mine 4 hours ago and I'm still not hungry!
  • AJCM
    Ohhh..... I figured so... :cry: my son is severly allergic to egg, so we don't have them in the house. Sounds great though.
    :flowerforyou:
  • IndigoElectron
    Maybe you could try making them with low fat cream cheese, that might work? Or maybe an egg substitute, if one exists?
  • AJCM
    Thanks! One of the best egg substitues is actually.... flax! You boil it with water, and after a few minutes, it becomes this gelatin substance, great to mimic egg whites in baking.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jaxes425
    jaxes425 Posts: 3 Member
    Have you tried using applesauce as an egg substitue? I often use that when baking, mixed with a little bit extra baking soda. The applesauce serves as a binder, and gives the same consistency as the egg.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Sounds great! Some sugar free maple syrup only adds 35 cals. per tbsp.!!
  • krawls33
    krawls33 Posts: 58
    I am not a big fan of artificial sweetner. Could I use honey or a organic sugar?
This discussion has been closed.