No fat recipes?

Options
My dad has just been put on a NO fat diet, not low fat, no fat. He's not too happy with this and cheats because I'm pretty sure he's addicted to food, especially fast food, so this is not going to be easy. He's also on blood thinners so he can't have vitamin k. ( meaning no dark, leafy greens) Help? He doesn't like healthy foods (he's kind of like a child). Might just have to lie to him about what he's eating....

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Who put him on a no fat diet? Suspect.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Impossible and dangerous......Find a better health care who ever person.
  • btracy01
    Options
    Listen, I'm not an idiot! His DOCTOR put him on this diet probably because there's too much fat for his liver. His whole digestive system is in bad condition. He's also diabetic. If you're going to critique, go away. I honestly don't want to hear it.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    He might be on what is colloquially known as the Bill Clinton diet. Extreme vegan diet, and, if we're talking about the same thing, yes, it is very unforgiving. But it seems to be helpful for people flirting with serious health issues. A friend of mine (no really, I do have this friend...) had a terrible time with statins, and went on it with a vengeance. He lost 40+ pounds and dropped his lipid counts through the floor. A popularizer of this diet is Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. I don't have the time and energy to follow this diet strictly, but I do use the recipes in Esselstyn's book a great deal. They're healthful and delicious. (And I'm not a compensated endorser. :-)
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No fat diets don't exist. I used to be on what might be considered a no fat diet, but even in things that might be listed as fat free are only listed as such because the amount in one tiny serving is less than 1 gram. And whoever put him on a no fat diet, if it was a doctor or certified nutritionist, should have their license revoked. A fat restricted diet or very low fat diet sure, but I'd like to hear the explanation.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    He can't eat any fat, and he can't eat any greens? That doesn't leave a lot of options. He can eat fruit, basically,
  • shmoony
    Options
    Listen, I'm not an idiot! His DOCTOR put him on this diet probably because there's too much fat for his liver. His whole digestive system is in bad condition. He's also diabetic. If you're going to critique, go away. I honestly don't want to hear it.

And for the record, f you "don't want to hear it", why would you ask the question? Do you want to hear the truth, or what you want to hear? Is this a common thread in your relationships, if so, I feel sorry for the people around you.
  • btracy01
    Options
    ok very very low fat recipe ideas?? That's all I need, I don't need critiquing. I'm studying to be a nurse so please do not assume that I'm an idiot. It is not appreciated.
  • btracy01
    Options
    He can't eat any fat, and he can't eat any greens? That doesn't leave a lot of options. He can eat fruit, basically,

He's also diabetic........ He can have greens, just not dark greens with vitamin K
  • neanderthin
    Options
    According to his Doctor.......get another opinion and sorry you don't like advice that doesn't corroborate with your thinking.
  • shmoony
    Options
    Sorry. That last part was uncalled for.......true, but uncalled for
  • lauren3101
    Options
    ok very very low fat recipe ideas?? That's all I need, I don't need critiquing. I'm studying to be a nurse so please do not assume that I'm an idiot. It is not appreciated.

No-one assumed you were an idiot, they were trying to give you advice.

I'm sorry, but you come on here asking for a no fat diet (virtually impossible as it is) for someone that can't eat greens (the majority of any greens has vitamin k in it - google it) and then you say he doesn't eat healthy food - how do you expect us to help with that? It's impossible.
  • btracy01
    Options

And for the record, f you "don't want to hear it", why would you ask the question? Do you want to hear the truth, or what you want to hear? Is this a common thread in your relationships, if so, I feel sorry for the people around you.

ALL I ASKED FOR WERE RECIPE IDEAS!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry if that was too difficult for you to understand.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You are/were very defensive from the start and you do not seem open to many suggestions or thoughts that people on this site have to offer. No one called you an idiot, either. However, if you were looking for recipes, post your question somewhere else, like in the recipe message boards, instead of giving out your personal information. Just simply ask the question that would meet your needs/goals.

You would probablly be better off getting some type of meal ideas and food groups from his physician or asking for a referral to a dietitian in regards to his needs, not on a public forum.
  • btracy01
    Options
    LISTEN TO ME, I'M NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE, I'M ASKING FOR RECIPE IDEAS!!!!
  • neanderthin
    Options

ALL I ASKED FOR WERE RECIPE IDEAS!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry if that was too difficult for you to understand.
    High fruit is high sugar regardless of the benefits of fruit. Somebody that's diabetic and obese should not be on a diet with such littler protein, let alone little to no fat and that many carb, well over 90%, your a nurse, you don't see the problem here.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO ME, I'M NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE, I'M ASKING FOR RECIPE IDEAS!!!!

Then post your question in the appropriate message board!

And maybe you should go eat a carbohydrate to help with your mood and all of this "yelling" you are doing!
  • lauren3101
    Options

And maybe you should go eat a carbohydrate to help with your mood and all of this "yelling" you are doing!

???

painters_zps8f74fdcd.jpg
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    My dad has just been put on a NO fat diet, not low fat, no fat. He's not too happy with this and cheats because I'm pretty sure he's addicted to food, especially fast food, so this is not going to be easy. He's also on blood thinners so he can't have vitamin k. ( meaning no dark, leafy greens) Help? He doesn't like healthy foods (he's kind of like a child). Might just have to lie to him about what he's eating....

Ask the doctor to refer your father to a registered dietician, the diet you have been recommended is a medical treatment so you should not be getting advice from unqualified strangers on a forum. You may think asking for recipes is innocuous, I can assure you it is not given your father has multiple medical issues and prescribed medication to work around.
  • shmoony
    Options
    So in response to your repeated request for recipes, the answer is that they don't really exist. I could give you a hundred recipes that contain anywahere from 3-10 grams of fat per serving, but I guess yoo're not looking for those.