terrified of loose skin

Options
I am currently 168lbs hoping to be 116lbs as I am only 5 foot 2.

I am so worried about ending up with loose skin. tummy tuck is out of the question for me so whatever is left I have to live with.

I am a 20 year old mum of a 2 year old (born naturally). anyone with this sort of situation have before/during or after pics to inspire me?

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm 5f2, no kids, 25 years old. Gone from 196lbs to 139lbs with more to go. No hint of sagging skin so far.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You're not alone -- no one wants to deal with that! The secret is to lose weight a bit more slowly, and to really invest yourself in toning and increasing your muscle by weight lifting, yoga, pilates...

Although losing weight more slowly (e.g. 0.5 - 1 lb / week) takes a bit more patience, it gives your body more time to reabsorb the excess tissue and skin after losing fat and muscle -- and you do lose both, which is why you need to bust your but to rebuild muscle!

x
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You're young. It depends on your skin, but young skin is so resilient that with slow, steady weight loss you should do okay.

People have babies all the time without skin flaps - and I gained 50 pounds (and lost it) with each of mine.

I'm more than twice your age, lost 30 pounds so far, and no wrinkles from weight loss.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    At your age and the amount you want to lose you shouldn't have a problem with that. Just know that it may take your skin a little longer to catch up with your weight loss than the rest of your body if you lose to quickly. Don't get discouraged by this, it will catch up!
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and 50yr old. Have lost 40-50 lbs twice in my life , once at 40 and once at 50 both times it took over a year. No sagging. But I do work out also. I believe the slower you lose the better chance you will have for your skin to adjust. Your skin cannot compensate when you lose a large amount quickly, that's why you see the BIggest Loser contestants with a huge amount of extra skin.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I haven't even read the responses but suck it up. Loose skin is better than fat and medical issues.
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    You are still pretty young so that should not be that bad if you go slowly with the weight loss and do some strength training along the way. I have been busting my butt in the gym to tighten up alot of excess skin and the stomach area is getting alot better even after 2 c-sections.(kids 9 and 7) The biggest problems I found are the inner thighs and the arms which are hard to tighten up even with a ton of weights. I have lost a total of 94 lbs which was-60lbs in around 5 months and then another 44lbs which took another 5.5 months. I am so much healthier overall and have keep it in perspective that I can fix the skin over time, but I can not let my weight take a toll on my health any longer. Good luck!!!
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to worry as you have youth and elasticity on your side. I had my daughter at age 17 and I gained *GASP* 114 pounds during the pregnancy. (If it wasn't nailed down, I ate it and I was 103 when I got pregnant!) In any event, I lost all the weight and my skin tightened up. (What somewhat did me in was the full hysterectomy I had to have when I was 24 and in those days, the surgeon cut me from my belly button straight down to the pubic bone, severing some oh so important ab muscles, but even then my skin didn't sag. Trouble is, if I gained weight, I looked like I had an *kitten* in front.)

Well, that was 44 years ago and the ravages of gravity have caught up with me these days. I would love to have my scar revised, but what the hell...no one is going to see me naked anytime soon. Dressed, I look rather stunning, LOL, at my current weight of 124.

Oh, I have been asked if my pic is a current one, and yes it is, with one exception. Two weeks ago, I had a foot and a half of hair cut off and donated to "Locks of Love."

You'll be fine!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you go super slow you won't. I do know someone who lost over 100 pounds and has no loose skin at all
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    First of all, it's mostly genetics that will determine saggy skin or not, so don't sweat it, even with saggy skin you will be soooo much healthier and happier.
    Oh gosh I wish I had pics. I am also 5'3" , weighed 179 at my highest and I'm down 40lbs. I know this is tmi but I had 2 'rolls' of fat on my stomach. At one point the lower one was 'hanging' over with a crease. It is now smooth on one side with no baggy skin at all, so far! The other side still has a bit of a crease but I think with weight training it will tighten up just fine. I should take pics of the other one just so I can show people that it is possible.
    I'll also add that I gave birth to 3 children, with one so big I could lay a dinner plate on top of my tummy and it wouldn't fall off (yikes), and have no stretch marks, so it probably is genetics for me.
  • albatrosssherpa
    albatrosssherpa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more- this TERRIFIES me. But from what i have read- going slow and toning is the best way to avoid this. Personally i also dread looking older from wrinkles in the face too (fat don't crack)- but it'll be worth it... and yes- you're young so you have that going for you...:happy:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You should be fine since you are so young. I lost 75 pounds twice in my 20's and did not have any loose skin. It was not until I had gained 200 pounds and lost it in my 40's that I had that issue. Take care of yourself now and do not end up like me. It took a lot of plastic surgery to put me back together again.
  • Blackshuck77
    Blackshuck77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This was one of my big concerns but what people before me said holds true, take it slow and steady on the diet and develop a decent workout and you can shift the lbs without the loose skin. The reality shows around 'Biggest Weght Loss' have a few examples of people left with vast tents mainly as they dropped all off too fast for the skin to catch up and did nothing to tone up their muscles. It's never a nice thought seeing some of the hellish examples online (belive me I did!) but consider it as a good motivator to work out or join a gym alongside your diet! Don't let it put you off getting fit, just take it slow and sensible ( and drink plenty of water!) and by the time you've reached your goal, your skin will have had the time to shrink along with you.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'2. I went from 170-174-ish (more than that, I just was in denial and didn't weigh much) to 122 and have no loose skin. I did not crash diet and lost it slowly, drink a ton of water and exercise. I also practically pickle myself in moisturizer. I have before/afters in my profile.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!