No fat recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Really, folks, it's a reasonable question. Look up Colin Campbell, the China Study, and other resources. I'm not a doctor, nutritionist, or anything like that. But I have read a great deal about this diet (usually while munching some chips ;-), and it's interesting.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    LISTEN TO ME, I'M NOT ASKING FOR ADVICE, I'M ASKING FOR RECIPE IDEAS!!!!

There is no need to yell. If you can't take the advice then don't post a question that is pretty much impossible to answer.

Recipes should be asked for on the recipe board. This is food and nutrition. That is why you are getting food and nutrition advice.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Google the 80/10/10 diet.
  • starryk
    starryk Posts: 53
    Options
    WOW.. Does one not get more flies with honey :smile:
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

She wants recipes, Rock!!! She doesn't have time for google!!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Items I can think of that he could incorporate into his diet are as follows:

Plain 0% Greek Yogurt (all others will be high in sugars)
    Non-Green Veggies (Califlower, Eggplant, Squash etc), raw or steamed
    Low Gylcemic Fruits
    Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    Skim Milk
    Fat Free Cheese (nasty, but fat free)

All Lean Protein (chicken, shrimp, fish, etc) will have SOME fat in them, but the lowest being shrimp and tilapia, baked with no fat.

I realize these aren't recipes, but eating NO fat, it's pretty much impossible to put together "recipes". I'd say 99% of healthy things to eat have some fat in them.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ok very very low fat recipe ideas?? That's all I need, I don't need critiquing. I'm studying to be a nurse so please do not assume that I'm an idiot. It is not appreciated.

Shouldn't his doctor have given you a list of what he can eat? If he's on whatever diet someone mentioned above, wouldn't they have told you the name so you can look it up? If not, you should ask. Either way, you can always google recipes. There are lots of sites - like allrecipes.com. You can put the ingredients in there and see what comes up. You can always alter recipes to fit his needs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

She wants recipes, Rock!!! She doesn't have time for google!!!

Oops. I just advised google. *smh* Oh well...it's the only advice there really is.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/

Documentary on netflix if you have it. Seriously watch it and keep an open mind. I watched it and it opened my eyes and I used to be a nurse too.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I realize these aren't recipes, but eating NO fat, it's pretty much impossible to put together "recipes". I'd say 99% of healthy things to eat have some fat in them.

That's because fat is not evil and you need it for basic functions to live. This is why the diet is suspect and why the OP is being told to have her father either get a second opinion or have him get a referral to a dietitian who understands his needs, can work around them, and give him ideas.

At any rate, it sounds like her dad has no interest in following a diet anyway.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    1. you seem very stressed out, calm down, and it will work out. there are lots of resources available.

2. google is your friend for recipes, diet ideas etc. cooking light.com, webmd has recipes nad i think the mayo clinic site does too.

3. livestrong has info on veggies & fruits w/o vitamin K to deal with the blood thinner issue - which is why i'm assuming he can't increase amounts of vitamin K. some of the things on there were canned beets, canned corn, grapefruit white & pink, not necessarily the most appetizing but edible.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/252514-low-vitamin-k-diet/

4. break out the bbq. grill some chicken breasts & eggplant, peppers & onions,squash & through some spices on there and that's about as low fat as you are going to get without going totally vegetarian and that could still be appealing to your dad.

5. since you are in nursing school, talk to the profs at school and if you are working in a hospital, talk to the RD's there. I'm sure they would be able to give you ideas on how to help your father.