Weight Loss Yoga??

Options
Hey all,

This is my first post on here :)

I have just bought myself a copy of "The Biggest Loser - The Workout Weight Loss Yoga" as I am guilty of not being the biggest cardio fan.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it out and if anyone has had any successful weight loss since?

Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm a little lonely out here lol :)

Thanks,
Georgi!

Replies

• Panda307
    Panda307 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Let me know how you like it. I just picked up the Jillian Michaels meltdown yoga dvd. I might try it tonight or tomorrow. Good luck to you :)
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    Wow, i bought this and got it in the mail yesterday. I plan on trying it tomorrow morning! We should all meet back here same time tomorrow and share our thoughts! :happy:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I know that some times I really get my heart rate up doing yoga. Plus I have friends who swear how they lost weight doing yoga. So go for it.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Just bought Rodney Yee's AM/PM Yoga and Yoga for Beginners. I didn't buy for losing weight but rather relaxation and stretching... also very important in life. Hope you enjoy your DVDs. I started mine this morning. Ahhhhhhhh... lovely!! :D
  • mollylookalike
    mollylookalike Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I go to an "instructer led" (not taught) class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.. I feel like I get a good workout, but I bought a heart rate monitor to see how much it's really getting my heart rate up. It's supposed to be here today - I'll try to let you know tomorrow morning what my conclusion is! :)
  • momma2jillian07
    momma2jillian07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ooooo!! I'm also curious about Yoga!! I've never tried, I'm a bit intimidated. I'm interested in the BL or Jillian yoga videos.
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Go to hot powerflow classes.

Doing yoga at home is pretty awful as far as I'm concerned, too many distractions
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use that same "BL - Weight Loss Yoga" DVD and love it. I can't say whether IT specifically has helped me lose weight because I do other workouts too (elliptical, turbo jam, 30 Day Shred), but I can definitely say it has improved my muscle tone. I'm usually sore after doing it. It makes me sweat and makes my muscles burn. Muscles burn calories. So, it definitely does something!
  • Camgage
    Camgage Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too hate cardio but I love yoga. It did not necessarily help me lose weight but it motivated me to. There are a lot of moves that cannot be accomplised with a gut in the way. LOL
    The best part of yoga is regaining my flexibility. As an older and heavier woman this is quite a feat.
    Please let me know if you enjoy this yoga video. I have cancelled my yoga membership and would be interested in a video.
    Best of luck to you.
  • mrsfriedrich
    Options
    I personally love Jillian's Yoga Meltdown. Its a little tough at first if you're not a "regular" at yoga, but it gets more doable very quickly. Good luck!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I use that same "BL - Weight Loss Yoga" DVD and love it. I can't say whether IT specifically has helped me lose weight because I do other workouts too (elliptical, turbo jam, 30 Day Shred), but I can definitely say it has improved my muscle tone. I'm usually sore after doing it. It makes me sweat and makes my muscles burn. Muscles burn calories. So, it definitely does something!

Let me add that I hate typical yoga with the breathing and all that. I, personally, think it's boring and it does nothing for me - it's just not my thing. However, the "BL-WLYoga" is not traditional yoga and Bob really keeps you motivated.
  • MegaHeather
    MegaHeather Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use biggest loser yoga a couple times a week in addition to regular cardio. I love it, and yes I have seen results from it. Rather than weight loss it's mostly toning muscles and loss of inches.
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    That yoga program is really good. I have done it before and love it. Bob gets your heart pumping and will finish the program sweaty! I also have Jillian's Yoga Meltdown which is also a challenge!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do not have any specific info on this or any workout DVD.

But, I do have some experience with exercising hard and not losing weight as I was not monitoring what I ate.

I am certain that any increase in physical activity will improve your health and well being. DVD, Youtube, gym class, running, etc. , etc.

Just make sure to keep on top of your food at the same time or you might end up I did. Gaining weight while exercising hard!
  • JerseyGirl081
    JerseyGirl081 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have done this workout but I do LOVE yoga and yes it does help with weight loss. You'd be surprised how much cardio and muscle work you get from doing it. Good stuff!! Enjoy! :)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    When I first started this 3 years and 50 lbs ago I started with Suzanne Deason Yoga for weight loss. It did work well til I got into better shape. Today I did her Yoga for women. It has a bigger focus on balance. I love it. Not sure if that is the component that has brought me so much success.. But, it makes me feel wonderful.
  • yogivette
    yogivette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't tried that workout video, but I'm active in yoga (hot yoga; three times a week). My body is beginning to tone; as you burn fat and build muscle. Yoga has been my form of exercise for 2 1/2 years.

Enjoy learn to pose and seeing the benefits :D)
  • kerriotto
    Options
    I haven't used this video but I practice hot yoga 3-4 times a week. It is my main form of cardio.
    I've lost 10 inches from my waist, hips and thighs in the last 2 months.
  • alybaby007
    alybaby007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I absolutely love yoga. I do power yoga (vinyasa) 3-4 times a week and I wear a heart rate monitor. I burn anywhere between 500-750 calories during a 1hr 15min class. It's a much better work out than other cardio (ex, I burn 175-250 cal in a 3 mile run with my dog) It takes a while to build to the harder classes, but its so good for you, both physically and mentally. I suggest taking a class. The nice thing is that they are judgement free zones! Find a small one with a good teacher, they always tell you to do YOUR practice. If you can't do one of the moves, they can give you modifications until you are strong enough. :)
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Wow, some great success stories here, hoping it will work for me as I've tried so many different types of exercise but never yoga!

I've just finished a quick 15 minutes just to trial it out before my son woke up from his nap and I was starting to work up a sweat in that short space of time, could really feel the burn in my hamstrings!! Love the breathing, really puts me in a good state of mind!

Going to do a full hour of it tomorrow morning, can't wait!!

Thanks guys!! :wink: